Which Linux for a beginning desktop? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which Linux for a beginning desktop? - Linux ; * Mxsmanic wrote in comp.os.linux: > SINNER writes: >> WTF are you talking about? What monopoly? I never mentioned anything >> about any monopoly. It's not Googles fault no one else has done it >> right. > It's not Microsoft's ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 129 of 129

  1. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    * Mxsmanic wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > SINNER writes:

    >> WTF are you talking about? What monopoly? I never mentioned anything
    >> about any monopoly. It's not Googles fault no one else has done it
    >> right.

    > It's not Microsoft's fault that no one else has done it right.

    >> What are they doing to stop anyone else from creating a working
    >> search engine?

    > What is Microsoft doing to stop anyone else from creating superior
    > operating systems and office-automation applications?

    And you are telling me this because?

    --
    David
    Suicide is simply a case of mistaken identity.

  2. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 13:42:32 +0100, Mxsmanic
    wrote:

    >SINNER writes:
    >
    >> WTF are you talking about? What monopoly? I never mentioned anything
    >> about any monopoly. It's not Googles fault no one else has done it
    >> right.

    >It's not Microsoft's fault that no one else has done it right.
    >
    >> What are they doing to stop anyone else from creating a working
    >> search engine?

    >What is Microsoft doing to stop anyone else from creating superior
    >operating systems and office-automation applications?

    Check the court cases. They were convicted on eight counts of
    violating US anti-trust law. All eight counts were unanamously upheld
    by the appeals court. Only the penalty was rejected. They were
    convicted of violating several counts of European anti-trust laws.
    That case is still in appeal, but the appeals court refused to delay
    the penalties. They lost court cases to Caldera (Win95 refused to run
    on DR-DOS), Stack (Theft of compression trade secrets and code) and
    numerous other cases. Only those of you that have your heads buried in
    the sand are not aware of these facts.

    For a better overview, visit www.groklaw.net and check out some of
    their new pages on the history of Microsoft.

    Bob McConnell
    N2SPP

  3. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    SINNER writes:

    > > What is Microsoft doing to stop anyone else from creating superior
    > > operating systems and office-automation applications?

    > And you are telling me this because?

    Because it makes a double standard obvious. What's "evil" for vendors
    you don't like is "good" for vendors you do like.

  4. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Bob McConnell writes:

    > Check the court cases. They were convicted on eight counts of
    > violating US anti-trust law. All eight counts were unanamously upheld
    > by the appeals court.

    Which count concerned preventing other companies from developing
    superior operating systems or office-automation applications?

  5. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > Bob McConnell writes:
    >
    >> Check the court cases. They were convicted on eight counts of
    >> violating US anti-trust law. All eight counts were unanamously upheld
    >> by the appeals court.

    > Which count concerned preventing other companies from developing
    > superior operating systems or office-automation applications?

    None. But as long as Microshaft persist with their illegal trading practice
    and fiscal penalties aren't imposed by "bought" judges, they can continue
    to spread their FUD about F/OSS.

    There are many better operating systems and office automation programs
    about, and many major companies are realising this. Migration away from MS
    brokenware is happening throughout Europe at an ever-increasing pace. It's
    probably just going to be the USA that uses MS dross in the future.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  6. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    * Mxsmanic wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > SINNER writes:

    >> > What is Microsoft doing to stop anyone else from creating superior
    >> > operating systems and office-automation applications?

    >> And you are telling me this because?

    > Because it makes a double standard obvious. What's "evil" for vendors
    > you don't like is "good" for vendors you do like.

    Try following the thread next time. I never said anything about evil
    vendors or discussed monopolies, thats for people that actually care, I
    dont.

    --
    David
    Mr and Mrs PED, can I borrow 26.7% of the RAYON TEXTILE production of

  7. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > chris writes:
    > > Modern Linux distributions are simple to use and maintain.

    > That's quite a generalization.

    No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No.No. You're wrong!

    > > You have to remember that anything done the MS way is (basically)
    > > done the wrong way!

    > Right or wrong, I had Windows up in 20 minutes when I first installed
    > this machine. I've been working for days on installation of anything
    > else.

    It took me five hours for WinXP-SP2, ten minutes for FC2.

    > They have 95% of the desktop market. I don't think they are too
    > worried.

    I had a dream that Bill died, and suddenly Linux ruled the world. All
    economy prospered, because it was all free. Computing was wonderful!
    Poly-p man

  8. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    On Sat, 2005-26-02 at 16:25 +0100, Mxsmanic wrote:
    > GreyBeard writes:
    > > Having watched your thread for a while, methinks you protest a bit too
    > > much - "it broke my CD", "time's up, it won't be...", "bloat", "but it
    > > still works with NT".

    > You have to look at it from my point of view: I use computers as tools,
    > not as toys. I need to be able to install and configure systems quickly
    > and efficiently. I cannot afford to spend hours or days playing around
    > with them. They have to be up and stable enough that I can do real work
    > with them.

    However, you have hours to afford trolling newsgroup with rubbish?

  9. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    David Warren writes:

    > However, you have hours to afford trolling newsgroup with rubbish?

    Actually I don't, at least not much these days.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7