Which Linux for a beginning desktop? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which Linux for a beginning desktop? - Linux ; Spake Mxsmanic: > > For a start, it's ignoring all the servers that don't run web browsers. > Those aren't desktops. Yes, well spotted. I care about more than just desktops. If you look back up the thread you'll note ...

  1. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Spake Mxsmanic:
    > > For a start, it's ignoring all the servers that don't run web browsers.

    > Those aren't desktops.

    Yes, well spotted. I care about more than just desktops. If you look
    back up the thread you'll note that desktops haven't been mentioned for
    some time. Stop being capricious.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    How can you think you matter when your homepage has a tilde in it?

  2. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > SINNER writes:
    >
    >> How about the same way I did?
    >>
    >> Use google like the rest of us.

    > I tried that, for about two hours, with no results.

    It's not OUR fault that you're clueless. Perhaps you should learn to use
    Google properly.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  3. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Spake SINNER:
    > >> Their mail clients and newsreaders are also non-compliant.

    > > In what ways?

    > The newsreader wraps text incorrectly and does not snip sigs when a
    > complian delimeter is used and only recently did they even fix the non
    > compliant delimeter applied.

    These are conventions -- LookOut and LookOut Excess are marked as
    "****ing annoying" as a result, but not "illegal".

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    I was in the park when this total stranger asked me if I knew what time

  4. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Spake chris:
    > You have to remember - Windoze is a poor 3rd-party client for a Unix-based
    > world.

    The quip you're looking for is

    "Windows: Designed for the Internet!"
    "The Internet: Designed for UNIX!"

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    I'M NOT TALKING LOUD! I'M JUST USED TO THIS; I WRITE COBOL!

  5. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > I don't know what Bill Gates has said to the media, but they are just
    > newer versions of NT. They use the same code base.

    So - Bill Gates doesn't represent Microsoft, then?

    He also claims that there's NO common code base between XP (and its
    derivatives) and NT. Except, of course, for the TCP/IP he stole from BSD.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  6. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Spake chris:
    > Their mail clients also default to html.

    This is a feature! With a single predicate I can filter out swathes of
    mail I don't need to read.

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    "I'm not a liberal, I'm a militant radical."

  7. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > Since the variety of applications one can install is nearly infinite,
    > there's no sense in comparing installation _including_ applications.

    Installation of a proper operating system (like Mandrake Linux), including
    installation of Open Office and Kontact takes about 22 minutes on the
    machine I just tried it on, and required NO reboots. An installation of
    NT4 and Office on the same box (a valid comparison, you'd have to agree)
    takes just about an hour, and requires eight reboots.

    >> You must have a unique version of Win NT then. Did Bill himself write it
    >> specially for you?

    > No, but I've worked with it a lot.

    It MUST be unique - because your experience of installation and operation
    are entirely contrary to everyone else's.

    > Your own words belie your assertion. People who are objective and
    > unemotional about operating systems never say "Windoze."

    The spelling checker on this box defaults to "Windoze" if it starts with a
    capital - one of the guys here has a sense of humour.

    > If you want a proper UNIX system, run *BSD or Solaris, something with a
    > real UNIX kernel and a complete OS around it.

    Why? Linux is as Unix as I want, and runs really well on my hardware -
    whichever of the machines I use around here. We have a *BSD firewall here
    (it's really good for that) - and write some BSD apps (where BSD is
    appropriate).

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  8. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > You need to talk to Dell; that's not normal.

    We did, and it is. Three other boxes behaved in the same way, So we thought
    it must be a hardware fault. We deleted the MS stuff off the drives on one
    of them, and ran some diagnostics - the hardware was fine. Then we
    installed SuSE server. It hasn't crashed since.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  9. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Trent Buck wrote:

    > Spake chris:
    >> Their mail clients also default to html.

    > This is a feature! With a single predicate I can filter out swathes of
    > mail I don't need to read.

    True enough! Many companies now don't accept html mail, as they assume it's
    either spam or virused crap from a compromised Windoze box.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  10. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    * Trent Buck wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > Spake SINNER:
    >> You must be thinking about the one you got with Windows.

    >> Google is The Manual for Life, use it. Of course there are many manuals
    >> for Linux but if you need a pointer:

    > Why is the "Microsoft monopoly" bad, but the "Google monopoly" good?

    WTF are you talking about? What monopoly? I never mentioned anything
    about any monopoly. It's not Googles fault no one else has done it
    right. What are they doing to stop anyone else from creating a working
    search engine?
    --
    David
    Delta: The kids will love our inflatable slides. -- David Letterman

  11. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    * chris wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > Mxsmanic wrote:

    >> SINNER writes:

    >>> The newsreader wraps text incorrectly and does not snip sigs when a
    >>> complian delimeter is used and only recently did they even fix the non
    >>> compliant delimeter applied.

    >> Wow.

    > It also defaults to top-posting.

    Nothing defaults to top posting but the person typing. Placing the
    cursor at the top of a post is the right thing. You should start at the
    top and snip and comment on your way down.

    --
    David
    Hedonist for hire... no job too easy!

  12. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    * Trent Buck wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > Spake SINNER:
    >> > In what ways?

    >> The newsreader wraps text incorrectly and does not snip sigs when a
    >> complian delimeter is used and only recently did they even fix the non
    >> compliant delimeter applied.

    > These are conventions -- LookOut and LookOut Excess are marked as
    > "****ing annoying" as a result, but not "illegal".

    Do you always place words into post that were never mentioned by the
    compliance.

    --
    David
    The superfluous is very necessary.

  13. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    chris writes:

    > We did, and it is. Three other boxes behaved in the same way, So we thought
    > it must be a hardware fault. We deleted the MS stuff off the drives on one
    > of them, and ran some diagnostics - the hardware was fine. Then we
    > installed SuSE server. It hasn't crashed since.

    In that case, talk to Microsoft.

  14. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    chris writes:

    > It MUST be unique - because your experience of installation and operation
    > are entirely contrary to everyone else's.

    I don't know about everyone else; all I see is you.

    > The spelling checker on this box defaults to "Windoze" if it starts with a
    > capital - one of the guys here has a sense of humour.

    If you don't correct it, then it must be the way you want it.

  15. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    SINNER writes:

    > WTF are you talking about? What monopoly? I never mentioned anything
    > about any monopoly. It's not Googles fault no one else has done it
    > right.

    It's not Microsoft's fault that no one else has done it right.

    > What are they doing to stop anyone else from creating a working
    > search engine?

    What is Microsoft doing to stop anyone else from creating superior
    operating systems and office-automation applications?

  16. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    chris writes:

    > It's not OUR fault that you're clueless.

    "Our"? All I see is you.

    > Perhaps you should learn to use Google properly.

    However Google is used, it won't point to information that's not there.

  17. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    chris writes:

    > So - Bill Gates doesn't represent Microsoft, then?

    Sure he does, generally.

    > He also claims that there's NO common code base between XP (and its
    > derivatives) and NT.

    They use the same code base.

  18. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > chris writes:
    >
    >> So - Bill Gates doesn't represent Microsoft, then?

    > Sure he does, generally.
    >
    >> He also claims that there's NO common code base between XP (and its
    >> derivatives) and NT.

    > They use the same code base.

    Not according to Bill Gates. XP is supposed to be "completely written from
    the ground up".

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  19. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    >> The spelling checker on this box defaults to "Windoze" if it starts with
    >> a capital - one of the guys here has a sense of humour.

    > If you don't correct it, then it must be the way you want it.

    I really can't be bothered - I generally type rather quickly, and if the SC
    enters "Windoze", so be it. It's actually a much more appropriate name, as
    MS "operating systems" are generally very slow.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  20. Re: Which Linux for a beginning desktop?

    Mxsmanic wrote:

    > chris writes:
    >
    >> We did, and it is. Three other boxes behaved in the same way, So we
    >> thought
    >> it must be a hardware fault. We deleted the MS stuff off the drives on
    >> one
    >> of them, and ran some diagnostics - the hardware was fine. Then we
    >> installed SuSE server. It hasn't crashed since.

    > In that case, talk to Microsoft.

    Why waste breath? They aren't in the slightest bit interested in getting
    anything right, and they generally just refer you to their local "Certified
    Partner", who are really clueless and unlikely to be in business for much
    longer.

    C.

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!