Kernel deletion - Linux

This is a discussion on Kernel deletion - Linux ; Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete an unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an Up2date which netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd like to ...

  1. Kernel deletion

    Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete
    an unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an
    Up2date which netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd
    like to get rid of the previous one. Do I have to delete individual
    files in the /boot directory and from the grub.conf file?

    -- Ron

  2. Re: Kernel deletion

    hi

    Ronald Hands wrote:
    > Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete an
    > unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an Up2date which
    > netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd like to get rid of
    > the previous one. Do I have to delete individual files in the /boot
    > directory and from the grub.conf file?

    and welcome to this wonderful system :-)

    --
    good luck

    peter

  3. Re: Kernel deletion

    Ronald Hands wrote:

    > Forgive a novice question, but is there some neat way to delete
    > an unwanted kernel? I have Core 3 Fedora and recently did an
    > Up2date which netted me a new kernel. It seems to run fine and I'd
    > like to get rid of the previous one. Do I have to delete individual
    > files in the /boot directory and from the grub.conf file?

    No, first determin the version(s) you no longer want;

    # rpm -qa 'kernel*'

    Then as root or equivalent from the outputted list carefully do;

    # rpm -e kernel-

    Repeat for each version you no longer want.

  4. Re: Kernel deletion

    Lenard wrote:

    > No, first determin the version(s) you no longer want;
    >
    > # rpm -qa 'kernel*'
    >
    > Then as root or equivalent from the outputted list carefully do;
    >
    > # rpm -e kernel-
    >
    > Repeat for each version you no longer want.

    Many thanks. That makes it much easier (after I removed the
    single quotes in the "rpm -qa kernel*" line :-)

    -- Ron

+ Reply to Thread