Network Card goes dead - Linux

This is a discussion on Network Card goes dead - Linux ; I am using Fedora Core 3 on one of my machines and the network card sometimes goes silent, it is an Intel 82557 motherboard nic, it usually happens following a reboot or a relatively stressful event. Any ideas on how ...

  1. Network Card goes dead

    I am using Fedora Core 3 on one of my machines and the network card
    sometimes goes silent, it is an Intel 82557 motherboard nic, it usually
    happens following a reboot or a relatively stressful event. Any ideas on
    how to make it more stable. I am running the 760 and 766 kernel, which
    should have no effect as I have seen this problem since the 730 kernels

  2. Re: Network Card goes dead

    numskull scribbled on the stall wall:
    > I am using Fedora Core 3 on one of my machines and the network card
    > sometimes goes silent, it is an Intel 82557 motherboard nic, it usually
    > happens following a reboot or a relatively stressful event. Any ideas on
    > how to make it more stable. I am running the 760 and 766 kernel, which
    > should have no effect as I have seen this problem since the 730 kernels

    730 kernel must be fedora speak...linux has no such kernel. Current
    linux kernel releases are 2.4.x and 2.6.x

    As for the nic card dieing: put in one as a pci addon. they are oh so cheap.
    $20-$30us.

  3. Re: Network Card goes dead

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:52:06 -0600, Wiseguy wrote:

    > numskull scribbled on the stall wall:
    >> I am using Fedora Core 3 on one of my machines and the network card
    >> sometimes goes silent, it is an Intel 82557 motherboard nic, it usually
    >> happens following a reboot or a relatively stressful event. Any ideas on
    >> how to make it more stable. I am running the 760 and 766 kernel, which
    >> should have no effect as I have seen this problem since the 730 kernels

    > 730 kernel must be fedora speak...linux has no such kernel. Current
    > linux kernel releases are 2.4.x and 2.6.x

    Yea... 2.6....-730_FC3

    > As for the nic card dieing: put in one as a pci addon. they are oh so cheap.
    > $20-$30us.

    It does sound like a hardware problem. I can't see the software turning
    off the NIC.

    Speaking of the physical layer... have you checked the cable?

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

  4. Re: Network Card goes dead

    Ivan Marsh wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:52:06 -0600, Wiseguy wrote:
    >

    >>numskull scribbled on the stall wall:
    >>
    >>>I am using Fedora Core 3 on one of my machines and the network card
    >>>sometimes goes silent, it is an Intel 82557 motherboard nic, it usually
    >>>happens following a reboot or a relatively stressful event. Any ideas on
    >>>how to make it more stable. I am running the 760 and 766 kernel, which
    >>>should have no effect as I have seen this problem since the 730 kernels

    >>730 kernel must be fedora speak...linux has no such kernel. Current
    >>linux kernel releases are 2.4.x and 2.6.x

    > Yea... 2.6....-730_FC3
    >

    >>As for the nic card dieing: put in one as a pci addon. they are oh so cheap.
    >>$20-$30us.

    > It does sound like a hardware problem. I can't see the software turning
    > off the NIC.
    >
    > Speaking of the physical layer... have you checked the cable?

    Tis not the cable, the card works when the machine boots to windoze

  5. Re: Network Card goes dead

    On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:40:00 -0500, numskull wrote:

    > Ivan Marsh wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:52:06 -0600, Wiseguy wrote:
    >>>numskull scribbled on the stall wall:

    >>>730 kernel must be fedora speak...linux has no such kernel. Current
    >>>linux kernel releases are 2.4.x and 2.6.x

    >> Yea... 2.6....-730_FC3
    >>
    >>>As for the nic card dieing: put in one as a pci addon. they are oh so
    >>>cheap. $20-$30us.

    >> It does sound like a hardware problem. I can't see the software turning
    >> off the NIC.
    >>
    >> Speaking of the physical layer... have you checked the cable?
    >>

    > Tis not the cable, the card works when the machine boots to windoze

    ....and works normally?

    I'd have to think it's something to do with power management then... or at
    least that's where I'd look next. Try turning off power management in the
    BIOS and see if it still goes dead.

    --
    Life is short, but wide. -KV

+ Reply to Thread