copy - Linux

This is a discussion on copy - Linux ; Hi, This is probably an easy question. I have 2 linux boxes one redhat 9 and the other fedora core 2. Both pretty much stock workstation installs. There isn't much to speak of on the fedora core 2 and we ...

  1. copy

    Hi,

    This is probably an easy question.

    I have 2 linux boxes one redhat 9 and the other fedora core 2. Both pretty
    much stock workstation installs.

    There isn't much to speak of on the fedora core 2 and we just want to get
    the users data the (home) directories from the 1st box.

    Is it possible to do this:

    1.. remove the /home/. on the target machine the fedora core 2.
    2.. nfs share /home on the 1st machine.
    3.. copy the password and group files from the 1st to the second.
    4.. copy the files as root from 1st machine to the second
    we should be ready to go.

    Is there a problem with this plan?

    Thanks in advance

  2. Re: copy

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 09:10:15 -0600, John Smith thoughtfully wrote:

    > Hi,
    >

    > This is probably an easy question.
    >

    > I have 2 linux boxes one redhat 9 and the other fedora core 2. Both
    > pretty much stock workstation installs.
    >

    > There isn't much to speak of on the fedora core 2 and we just want to get
    > the users data the (home) directories from the 1st box.
    >

    > Is it possible to do this:
    >
    > 1.. remove the /home/. on the target machine the fedora core 2. 2.. nfs
    > share /home on the 1st machine. 3.. copy the password and group files
    > from the 1st to the second. 4.. copy the files as root from 1st machine
    > to the second
    > we should be ready to go.

    The last time I deleted /home I lost some files I forgot were in
    the /home directory. Otherwise that shouldn't be a problem except for
    using Root to do the transfers. All files in the new /home would have
    root permissions.
    I suggest setting up NFS to allow the non-root users at least read-only
    access then copy the directories from the RH9 /home.

    2 other options available to you are
    rsync and scp.

    $ rsync -Wptruv -e "ssh -l noi" RH9:'/home/'
    ~/ --dry-run

    remove --dry-run when it looks good

    $ scp noi@RH9:/home/noi/ ~/

    > Is there a problem with this plan?