Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel - Linux

This is a discussion on Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel - Linux ; I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86. My mouse is a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux. I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch. When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, ...

  1. Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.

    My mouse is a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux.

    I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch.

    When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, sometimes the
    mouse cursor freezes and I have to reboot the computer to reactivate the mouse.

    A while ago, on another computer, I used to use Debian Woody with a 2.4 Kernel
    and an earlier version of Xfree86.

    On that machine, when the mouse cursor hung, it was possible to kill the mouse
    daemon process (moused, I think) and restart it to revive the mouse.

    I do not appear to have a mouse daemon process on the machine running Debian
    Sarge, so I am unable to do this.

    Even if I shut down to single user mode and back into multi-user mode, the
    mouse remains hung. The only way to free the mouse is to reboot the machine.

    Is the mouse being driven from a kernel module or something now ? I can't find
    a mouse daemon.

    This problem is really annoying.

    I do not wish to replace my KVM switch since it is big and expensive and a
    replacement 8 way electronic switch would also be expensive.

    This annoyance has been recorded at:

    http://markhobley.yi.org/linux/annoyances/lin05.html

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  2. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    Up spake Mark Hobley:
    > I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.
    >
    > My mouse is a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux.
    >
    > I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch.
    >
    > When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, sometimes the
    > mouse cursor freezes and I have to reboot the computer to reactivate the mouse.

    For USB, at least, you can often fix this by switching to a console and
    back (C-M-F1, C-M-F6). If that doesn't work, try killing X and
    restarting it (rather than the whole machine). That's bound to
    C-M-Backspace.

    > Even if I shut down to single user mode and back into multi-user mode, the
    > mouse remains hung. The only way to free the mouse is to reboot the machine.

    The reason KVMs seem so ridiculously overpriced is because they have
    magic inside them to make all the machines think the I/O devices (mouse,
    keyboard, monitor) are continously attached.

    If you paid less than, say, US$40 for the KVM + cables, it might be a
    mechanical one (i.e. without the magic). Or it could be a faulty KVM,
    or a faulty cable, or a faulty mouse. Have you tried replacing each of
    those in turn? At worst it will conclusively prove that they are *not*
    the cause.

    > Is the mouse being driven from a kernel module or something now ? I can't find
    > a mouse daemon.

    Sorry, I don't know. I don't use mice, but I imagine it's controlled by
    the XFree86 process. Try killing it off (see above).

    Note also that

    - under the console, the mouse daemon is called "gpm".

    - PS/2 mice aren't supposed to be hot-pluggable; some motherboards /
    BIOS / whatever will need to be power-cycled to re-detect the mouse.

    (I *think* the latter point is correct; I can't be bothered to look it up.)

    > This problem is really annoying.

    No kidding.

    > I do not wish to replace my KVM switch since it is big and expensive and a
    > replacement 8 way electronic switch would also be expensive.

    No kidding.

    --
    -trent
    We're the technical experts. We were hired so that management could

  3. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    In alt.comp.linux Trent Buck wrote:

    > For USB, at least, you can often fix this by switching to a console and
    > back (C-M-F1, C-M-F6). If that doesn't work, try killing X and
    > restarting it (rather than the whole machine). That's bound to
    > C-M-Backspace.

    Mine is a ps/2 mouse, its not USB. If I switch to console and back, the mouse
    cursor is still frozen. If I kill X and restart it, the problem still occurs.
    Like I say I have taken the whole system down to single user mode, which kills all
    the daemons. This does not allow me to reset the mouse.

    > The reason KVMs seem so ridiculously overpriced is because they have
    > magic inside them to make all the machines think the I/O devices (mouse,
    > keyboard, monitor) are continously attached.

    > If you paid less than, say, US$40 for the KVM + cables, it might be a
    > mechanical one (i.e. without the magic).

    Mine was about 120 UKP for a mechanical one. An electronic one would have
    cost lots more.

    > It could be a faulty KVM

    I think that some of the wires are common wired across each of the ports. Not
    everything is cut dead.

    > or a faulty cable, or a faulty mouse.

    I've swapped cables and mouse. I know its not those.

    > - under the console, the mouse daemon is called "gpm".

    Its not the gpm daemon. I know about this already. I am not using gpm here at
    the moment.

    On a 2.4 kernel, the mouse was driven by the mouse daemon "moused". I could kill
    this process. I don't have "moused" on a 2.6 machine. I suspect that the kernel
    is driving the mouse directly, but I am no expert on this. Maybe there is some
    sort of kernel module that I can unload and reload, or maybe there is a way of
    sending an instruction to the kernel to re-initialize the mouse. I don't know
    for sure, that's why I am asking the question.

    > - PS/2 mice aren't supposed to be hot-pluggable; some motherboards /
    > BIOS / whatever will need to be power-cycled to re-detect the mouse.

    I don't think Linux uses BIOS routines very often. The functionality of the BIOS
    routines is written into the os. Is that right ?

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    Email: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.os.linux.]
    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:08:06 GMT, Mark Hobley wrote:
    > In alt.comp.linux Trent Buck wrote:
    >>
    >> If you paid less than, say, US$40 for the KVM + cables, it might be a
    >> mechanical one (i.e. without the magic).

    > Mine was about 120 UKP for a mechanical one.

    > An electronic one would have cost lots more.

    Whoa!
    I paid less than 49 USD for mine -- just a month or two ago: IOGear.

    Jonesy
    --
    | Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    | Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
    | 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

  5. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    Ps2 mice do NOT unplug and plug again. This could be it.

    IF you run /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm AFTER you switch with the kvm then the mouse
    will work again in X. Kludgey but it works.

    Try making the mouse device in GPM a "repeater". read man GPM and see
    if that works.

    Getting a script to reinitialize the mouse after switching would be
    painful wouldn't it? How would it detect the switch? A cron file
    to reinitialize the mouse every 5 seconds? hmmmm...

    EC<:-}

    Sometimes mechanical KVM's cause
    great sparks that ruin serial ports. ONe should stick to electronic
    KVM's. But as you said GPM is working.

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > In alt.comp.linux Trent Buck wrote:
    >>restarting it (rather than the whole machine). That's bound to
    >>C-M-Backspace.

    > Like I say I have taken the whole system down to single user mode, which kills all
    > the daemons. This does not allow me to reset the mouse.
    >>The reason KVMs seem so ridiculously overpriced is because they have
    >>magic inside them to make all the machines think the I/O devices (mouse,
    >>keyboard, monitor) are continously attached.
    >>If you paid less than, say, US$40 for the KVM + cables, it might be a
    >>mechanical one (i.e. without the magic).

    > I think that some of the wires are common wired across each of the ports. Not
    > everything is cut dead.
    > Its not the gpm daemon. I know about this already. I am not using gpm here at
    > the moment.
    >> - PS/2 mice aren't supposed to be hot-pluggable; some motherboards /
    >> BIOS / whatever will need to be power-cycled to re-detect the mouse.

  6. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    [ Followup-To --> alt.os.linux ]

    In alt.os.linux Mark Hobley :
    > I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.

    > My mouse is a ps/2 mouse on /dev/psaux.

    > I have a manual 8 port keyboard, video, mouse switch.

    [..]

    > I do not wish to replace my KVM switch since it is big and expensive and a
    > replacement 8 way electronic switch would also be expensive.

    My condolences, having used kvm switches some times, but never
    used something as crappy as kvm. It was a pain in the ass
    installing a bunch of system through them. A serial/LAN
    connection to the mobo through a console server works much
    better. Unsure why you need a mouse at all? Tend to run server in
    runlevel 3 without X even installed, mostly no need and any
    package that isn't installed doesn't need to be upgraded.

    #bofh excuse 168: le0: no carrier: transceiver cable problem?

  7. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    I have experienced similar behavior using a Belkin rackmounted KVM switch.
    however it was with a FreeBSD server. The rack also had a Novell server and
    4 Windows 2K servers.
    The real problem was the way all the computers went to sleep. If you switch
    away from the BSD machine to one of the Windows machines, and let the
    windows machine put the screen to sleep then press the KVM button manually
    to the BSD machine the mouse would be dead. it made no difference to the
    Novell server as that thing was CLI only. To fix the issue on the BSD
    machine you either had to restart moused or swich to any windows machine
    and move the mouse around to wake up the GUI, at that point switching back
    to the FreeBSD server would unfreeze the mouse. I know that this is nothing
    concrete but perhaps it may help.

    --
    WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
    LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"

  8. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    In alt.comp.linux Mark Hobley wrote:

    > I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.
    >
    > When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, sometimes the
    > mouse cursor freezes and I have to reboot the computer to reactivate the mouse.

    While installing a test machine today, the following observations were made:

    Errors occured on a system which was undergoing reinstallation and had no X
    components installed, since these had not yet been installed for the first
    time.

    atkbd.c spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0
    input AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0

    psmouse.c baddata from KBC - timeout

    This installation was from a minimal debian sarge installation cd, and dselect
    was downloading packages for the first time.

    By identifying the utilization of "psmouse.c" it might be possible to
    develop an application or patch to enable the mouse to be reset.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  9. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Mark Hobley wrote:

    > In alt.comp.linux Mark Hobley wrote:
    >
    > > I am using Debian Sarge with a 2.6 Kernel and Xfree86.
    > >
    > > When I throw the switch to another computer and back again, sometimes the
    > > mouse cursor freezes and I have to reboot the computer to reactivate the mouse.

    You need a KVM that has a mouse reset function like the cybex autoview
    commander.

    > While installing a test machine today, the following observations were made:
    >
    > Errors occured on a system which was undergoing reinstallation and had no X
    > components installed, since these had not yet been installed for the first
    > time.
    >
    > atkbd.c spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0
    > input AT Translated Set 2 keyboard on isa0060/serio0
    >
    > psmouse.c baddata from KBC - timeout
    >
    > This installation was from a minimal debian sarge installation cd, and dselect
    > was downloading packages for the first time.
    >
    > By identifying the utilization of "psmouse.c" it might be possible to
    > develop an application or patch to enable the mouse to be reset.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

  10. Re: Mouse sometimes freezes using a KVM switch with a 2.6.x Kernel

    In alt.comp.linux Sir Jackery wrote:

    > You need a KVM that has a mouse reset function like the cybex autoview
    > commander.

    I don't have one of these.

    --
    Mark Hobley