Don't switch to Linux! - Linux

This is a discussion on Don't switch to Linux! - Linux ; Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love Linux! Every now and then people install this alternative operating system just 'cause their old 'system wasn't good enugh, not 'cause they consider'd the new alternative better in ...

  1. Don't switch to Linux!

    Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love Linux!

    Every now and then people install this alternative operating system just
    'cause their old 'system wasn't good enugh, not 'cause they consider'd
    the new alternative better in any ways.
    If you think Windows sucks, you're stuck! 'case you think Linux great;
    You're free of choice!

    By Jonas LyckegÄrd

  2. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Jonas Lyckegćrd enlightened us with:
    > Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love
    > Linux!

    Hear hear!

    I hear too many people that get sick of all the bugs and
    vunerabilities in Windows, and move to Linux for just that reason.
    Then they start bitching about Linux because it doesn't work like
    Windows. More people should stick to your advice ;-)

    Sybren

  3. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Jonas LyckegÄrd wrote:
    > Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love Linux!
    >

    > Every now and then people install this alternative operating system just
    > 'cause their old 'system wasn't good enugh, not 'cause they consider'd
    > the new alternative better in any ways.
    > If you think Windows sucks, you're stuck! 'case you think Linux great;
    > You're free of choice!
    >
    > By Jonas LyckegÄrd

    Hmm, you had nothing else to do this fine Sunday?

  4. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Jonas LyckegÄrd wrote:
    > Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love Linux!
    >

    > Every now and then people install this alternative operating system just
    > 'cause their old 'system wasn't good enugh, not 'cause they consider'd
    > the new alternative better in any ways.
    > If you think Windows sucks, you're stuck! 'case you think Linux great;
    > You're free of choice!
    >
    > By Jonas LyckegÄrd

    There are enough people who get paid to post messages with subjects like
    "Don't switch to Linux". The monopoly has all it needs. Perhaps a
    better subject line that is still consistent with your trite message
    would be: "Switch to Linux Because You Love It".

  5. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Perhas no, cause don't switch to linux is a nastier subject and make
    more people angry and make'em read it..

    And for Malte, no - except watching wargames.

    Ari Rankum wrote:
    > Jonas LyckegÄrd wrote:
    >
    >> Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love Linux!
    >>

    >> Every now and then people install this alternative operating system
    >> just 'cause their old 'system wasn't good enugh, not 'cause they
    >> consider'd the new alternative better in any ways.
    >> If you think Windows sucks, you're stuck! 'case you think Linux great;
    >> You're free of choice!
    >>
    >> By Jonas LyckegÄrd

    > There are enough people who get paid to post messages with subjects like
    > "Don't switch to Linux". The monopoly has all it needs. Perhaps a
    > better subject line that is still consistent with your trite message
    > would be: "Switch to Linux Because You Love It".

  6. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Jonas Lyckegćrd wrote:
    >>Don't switch to Linux 'cause you hate Windows but 'cause you Love
    >>Linux!

    Sybren replied:
    > Hear hear!
    >
    > I hear too many people that get sick of all the bugs and
    > vunerabilities in Windows, and move to Linux for just that reason.
    > Then they start bitching about Linux because it doesn't work like
    > Windows.

    Well, I'm not keen on Windows, so why shouldn't I look elsewhere?
    Unfortunately, I've yet to find a linux that works. No sound, crappy
    video support. Granted -- an OS is much more than a GUI, but if you're
    looking at a GUI with no sound and poor video support then it's not much
    of a GUI and that affects your perception of the underlying OS.

    I don't want linux to work "like Windows". I want it to work better
    than Windows! But since Windows is where my experience lies, I can only
    point out what I dislike about linux by comparing it to Windows. Sorry
    if that bugs you.

    On my hardware Windows uses dual monitors seamlessly; I can set the same
    or different resolutions and drag windows between screens. Every linux
    distro I've tried has either locked up solid when I tried to configure
    multiple monitors or has not allowed me to set resolutions on the
    secondary; 640X480X4bpp is pretty wasteful on a 19" screen. I have an
    AGP soundcard and a PCI soundcard, both made by some unknown foreign
    outfit called "ATI". Maybe I need to get name-brand video cards?

    I've yet to get any linux to produce sound. I have this really obscure
    soundcard nobody's ever heard of, it's called a "Sound Blaster 16" and
    it's made by a little rinkydink outfit called "Creative Labs". Perhaps
    if I bought a more mainstream soundcard I'd find better support?

    I'm not knocking linux when I point out that Windows works just fine
    (well, as "fine" as Windows ever works) on this hardware. I mention it
    only to aid in troubleshooting, by pointing out that the actual hardware
    is OK and the problems I'm seeing must lie in software someplace.

    The current linux I'm playing with (mepis) was told at install time to
    use half of the 20GB drive. It did use half of it, then installed a 5GB
    swapfile in the other half. But not really, I guess, because when I had
    Windows format the unused space on that drive it found 10GB and
    formatted it. I dunno whether it's mepis' fault for writing a funky
    partition table or Windows' fault for using space claimed by a competing
    OS. Then again this is the first time I've tried splitting a drive like
    this so maybe it's a generic linux/Windows issue.

    Of course, now mepis complains that its swapfile is corrupt. At least
    it hasn't tried to "fix" it (which would, of course, trash the Windows
    partition). But it does ask me to manually fsck every time I boot. (I
    decline, because I've got data in that FAT32 partition...)

    I want linux to do well. I want this both because I want something
    better than Windows and also because it would be nice to participate in
    taking Redmond down a peg or two. But linux has got to work with me on
    this little project.

    --
    Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
    Tragically, as many as 9625 out of every 10,000

  7. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Gordon S. Hlavenka wrote:

    > Well, I'm not keen on Windows, so why shouldn't I look elsewhere?
    > Unfortunately, I've yet to find a linux that works. No sound, crappy
    > video support. Granted -- an OS is much more than a GUI, but if you're
    > looking at a GUI with no sound and poor video support then it's not much
    > of a GUI and that affects your perception of the underlying OS.

    Perhaps you should read a few manuals.

    > I don't want linux to work "like Windows". I want it to work better
    > than Windows!

    It does. Not only "better" but entirely differently.

    > But since Windows is where my experience lies, I can only
    > point out what I dislike about linux by comparing it to Windows. Sorry
    > if that bugs you.

    No, but it isn't a valid comparison.

    > On my hardware Windows uses dual monitors seamlessly; I can set the same
    > or different resolutions and drag windows between screens. Every linux
    > distro I've tried has either locked up solid when I tried to configure
    > multiple monitors or has not allowed me to set resolutions on the
    > secondary; 640X480X4bpp is pretty wasteful on a 19" screen. I have an
    > AGP soundcard and a PCI soundcard, both made by some unknown foreign
    > outfit called "ATI". Maybe I need to get name-brand video cards?

    No. You just need to read the friendly manual. I've used dual monitors at
    high resolution for many years under Linux, and haven't had Windows near
    these computers since the start of the new century.

    > I've yet to get any linux to produce sound. I have this really obscure
    > soundcard nobody's ever heard of, it's called a "Sound Blaster 16" and
    > it's made by a little rinkydink outfit called "Creative Labs". Perhaps
    > if I bought a more mainstream soundcard I'd find better support?

    No. You've just failed to read the manual.

    > I'm not knocking linux when I point out that Windows works just fine
    > (well, as "fine" as Windows ever works) on this hardware. I mention it
    > only to aid in troubleshooting, by pointing out that the actual hardware
    > is OK and the problems I'm seeing must lie in software someplace.

    Yes. It's your lack of willingness to read the manuals and then act on what
    you've found. Configuration of hardware is generally trivial under Linux,
    and I've had much more trouble with well-known hardware under Win XP - many
    "legacy" devices simply wouldn't work under XP (despite being fine under
    NT / 2000). This was obviously MS in cahoots with the hardware
    manufacturers, trying to force users to buy new hardware.

    > The current linux I'm playing with (mepis) was told at install time to
    > use half of the 20GB drive. It did use half of it, then installed a 5GB
    > swapfile in the other half. But not really, I guess, because when I had
    > Windows format the unused space on that drive it found 10GB and
    > formatted it. I dunno whether it's mepis' fault for writing a funky
    > partition table or Windows' fault for using space claimed by a competing
    > OS. Then again this is the first time I've tried splitting a drive like
    > this so maybe it's a generic linux/Windows issue.

    Perhaps you should try a mainstream distro like Mandrake or Suse. Both are
    designed to be really easy to install, and have virtually flawless hardware
    detection routines (certainly better than MS XP installer). The disk
    partitioner in Mandrake is (by far) the best I've ever seen.

    > Of course, now mepis complains that its swapfile is corrupt. At least
    > it hasn't tried to "fix" it (which would, of course, trash the Windows
    > partition). But it does ask me to manually fsck every time I boot. (I
    > decline, because I've got data in that FAT32 partition...)

    If you used the mandrake partitioner, you'd find that works fine, and will
    non-destructively re-size your partitions.

    > I want linux to do well. I want this both because I want something
    > better than Windows and also because it would be nice to participate in
    > taking Redmond down a peg or two. But linux has got to work with me on
    > this little project.

    No. You have to learn about Linux. The linux projects aren't going to
    (necessarily) conform to your wishes - you're going to have to conform to
    Linux. This is just like you had to with Windows - you did everything the
    way you're told by MS, and it almost worked - if you tried to do anything
    different, it didn't. Linux is much more flexible, but requires you to
    learn a little. It is worth the effort!

    Chris

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  8. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Gordon S. Hlavenka enlightened us with:
    > Unfortunately, I've yet to find a linux that works. No sound,
    > crappy video support.

    You bought your previous hardware with Windows compatability in mind.
    Next time you buy some equipment, buy it with Linux compatability.
    Getting hardware that easily works on Linux will help you a lot.

    Lots of hardware don't adhere to the standards (like USB standards,
    etc) and fix that in their closed-source windoze driver. If you're
    trying to get that to work in Linux, you're probably screwed. This has
    nothing to do with Linux, and everything with the hardware
    manufacturer.

    > But since Windows is where my experience lies, I can only point out
    > what I dislike about linux by comparing it to Windows. Sorry if
    > that bugs you.

    That doesn't bug me at all. I don't know where you read that I was
    bugged by a comparison.

    > On my hardware Windows uses dual monitors seamlessly; I can set the
    > same or different resolutions and drag windows between screens.
    > Every linux distro I've tried has either locked up solid when I
    > tried to configure multiple monitors or has not allowed me to set
    > resolutions on the secondary; 640X480X4bpp is pretty wasteful on a
    > 19" screen.

    Then you need to read some more docs. You can do all of that on Linux
    too.

    > I have an AGP soundcard and a PCI soundcard, both made by some
    > unknown foreign outfit called "ATI". Maybe I need to get name-brand
    > video cards?

    Yep. ATI sucks in the Linux world. Better get a nVidia card.

    > I've yet to get any linux to produce sound. I have this really
    > obscure soundcard nobody's ever heard of, it's called a "Sound
    > Blaster 16" and it's made by a little rinkydink outfit called
    > "Creative Labs". Perhaps if I bought a more mainstream soundcard
    > I'd find better support?

    You need to get a decent manual, and start reading. Or you're doing
    something terribly wrong. I have yet have to have a Sound Blaster card
    that I haven't gotten to work on a Linux box.

    > I dunno whether it's mepis' fault for writing a funky partition
    > table or Windows' fault for using space claimed by a competing OS.
    > Then again this is the first time I've tried splitting a drive like
    > this so maybe it's a generic linux/Windows issue.

    It's probably neither - you probably messed up yourself.

    > Of course, now mepis complains that its swapfile is corrupt. At
    > least it hasn't tried to "fix" it (which would, of course, trash the
    > Windows partition). But it does ask me to manually fsck every time
    > I boot. (I decline, because I've got data in that FAT32
    > partition...)

    So indeed, you messed up. And instead of fixing an error, you keep a
    messed up system running. There is nothing as stupid as that. My
    suggestion: back up the data you want to keep, then whipe all the
    partitions off that harddisk, and start all over again.

    > I want linux to do well. [...] But linux has got to work with me on
    > this little project.

    And you have to learn to read and understand it, instead of blaming
    all mistakes on Linux. Because that's what I see in this post.

    Sybren

  9. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Jonas LyckegÄrd wrote:
    > Perhas no, cause don't switch to linux is a nastier subject and make
    > more people angry and make'em read it..

    Hey! Great idea!

  10. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Two things, Mepis doesn't even sound goood, so it couldn't be good (my
    way of judging distros these days).
    On the second, before the time of directx every soundcard eventually had
    to come up with "SB16-compability" since it was the da facto standard
    during that time.

    I've tried to make the card work in Linux, but Linux really sucks at
    ISA-pnp (oh, which operating system doesn't?) so I guess that there is
    the problem, you don't know how to manual setup the card (and I don't
    blame you, me neither has the skills (due I've done it - years ago).
    Gave you a link as well to not make this post all unusable.

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...oundblaster-16
    (it might not be of any use as it is for the pnp version of sb16).
    Btw, a new soundcard doesn't cost a fortune!

    Jonas Lyckegćrd

    Gordon S. Hlavenka wrote:

    > I've yet to get any linux to produce sound. I have this really obscure
    > soundcard nobody's ever heard of, it's called a "Sound Blaster 16" and
    > it's made by a little rinkydink outfit called "Creative Labs". Perhaps
    > if I bought a more mainstream soundcard I'd find better support?

  11. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    No Windows NT has since version 5 (that means 2k xp and 2k3) supported
    ipv6. And they tested ipv6 in dreamhack last year, and it wasn't to big
    trouble and they were pleased with the test. So I don't think we have
    any problem switching to ipv6 and if there's, it's not because of Windows!

    Blame the ISPs instead!

    JHson wrote:

    > but it's windows's fault that we can't move on to IP6 and stuck in the
    > IPV4.

  12. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    another thing
    backup doesn't work in win xp home. jesus god it's rediculous. do they
    wnat em to buy back up software? or Do I have to buy win xp pro dammit!
    and they aren't many articles about back ups and restorings available on
    the net

  13. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    JHson enlightened us with:
    > another thing
    > backup doesn't work in win xp home.

    What do you mean? You can't use tar?

    Sybren

  14. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:00:51 +0100, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

    > JHson enlightened us with:
    >> another thing
    >> backup doesn't work in win xp home.

    > What do you mean? You can't use tar?
    >
    > Sybren

    no i'm using backup utility comes with win xp home as option. I backed up
    and restored, but the state is not the previous state at all. and I read the manuals.

  15. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    JHson enlightened us with:
    > no i'm using backup utility comes with win xp home as option. I
    > backed up and restored, but the state is not the previous state at
    > all. and I read the manuals.

    Sorry pal, wrong newsgroup. Here the only thing you'll hear is "you
    could have expected things not to work"

    Sybren

  16. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:59:26 +0100, Sybren Stuvel wrote:

    > Sorry pal, wrong newsgroup. Here the only thing you'll hear is "you

    ..... ...
    ... -,.-
    ... please don't skip reading articles above. you're being off far from
    the discussion topic. winxp is not topic of this discussion group either
    son

  17. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    * JHson wrote in comp.os.linux:
    > another thing
    > backup doesn't work in win xp home. jesus god it's rediculous. do they
    > wnat em to buy back up software? or Do I have to buy win xp pro dammit!
    > and they aren't many articles about back ups and restorings available on
    > the net

    There are plenty of freeware alternatives. It is not the responsibility of
    the OS to provide you with backup software.
    --
    David
    Someone is unenthusiastic about your work.

  18. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    Gordon S. Hlavenka wrote:
> [...]

    > Windows format the unused space on that drive it found 10GB and
    > formatted it. I dunno whether it's mepis' fault for writing a funky
    > partition table or Windows' fault for using space claimed by a competing
    > OS. Then again this is the first time I've tried splitting a drive like
    > this so maybe it's a generic linux/Windows issue.
    >
    > Of course, now mepis complains that its swapfile is corrupt. At least
    > it hasn't tried to "fix" it (which would, of course, trash the Windows
    > partition). But it does ask me to manually fsck every time I boot. (I
    > decline, because I've got data in that FAT32 partition...)
    >

    > I want linux to do well. I want this both because I want something
    > better than Windows and also because it would be nice to participate in
    > taking Redmond down a peg or two. But linux has got to work with me on

    I would advise you to try a different distro with more hardware support
    like ubuntu or fedora

  19. Re: Don't switch to Linux!

    numskull enlightened us with:
    > I would advise you to try a different distro with more hardware
    > support like ubuntu or fedora

    And I advice you to stop quoting 67 lines of text just to add your own
    two ;-)

    Sybren