Device nodes under /dev not created when loading 8250.ko - Linux

This is a discussion on Device nodes under /dev not created when loading 8250.ko - Linux ; Hi All, I have 2 nearly identical 2.6.10 systems. On one, when I use modprobe 8250 to load the serial driver, device nodes under /dev are created automatically (eg /dev/ttyS0 etc). On the other system, 8250 loads and detects serial ...

  1. Device nodes under /dev not created when loading 8250.ko

    Hi All,

    I have 2 nearly identical 2.6.10 systems. On one, when I use modprobe 8250
    to load
    the serial driver, device nodes under
    /dev are created automatically (eg /dev/ttyS0 etc).

    On the other system, 8250 loads and detects serial ports correctly but no
    device nodes are created under /dev.

    Any suggestions on what is wrong?

    Thanks,

  2. Re: Device nodes under /dev not created when loading 8250.ko

    David Worthen enlightened us with:
    > I have 2 nearly identical 2.6.10 systems. On one, when I use
    > modprobe 8250 to load the serial driver, device nodes under /dev are
    > created automatically (eg /dev/ttyS0 etc).

    Then you're probably using udev or devfs on it.

    > On the other system, 8250 loads and detects serial ports correctly
    > but no device nodes are created under /dev.

    Then you probably aren't on this one.

    Sybren