FCC declines to investigate NSA-telco link

,----[ Quote ]
| FCC Chairman Kevin Martin has officially declined to launch an inquiry into
| the behavior of US telephone companies after September 11.

Serious Privacy Questions Raised About HealthVault

,----[ Quote ]
| Paraphrased, the questions are:
| # Will my data be off shored and therefore subject to no US law?
| # Will my data be merged with other non-health related information Microsoft
| collects about me?
| # If read/write authority is granted, can the grantee give read/write
| authority to my data?
| Surprisingly from its privacy statement the answers to the above appears to
| be yes. Not mentioned are other additional security concerns beyond the
| obvious issue that the HealthVault software cannot be examined by most 3rd
| parties for security and privacy flaws.

Microsoft tries to accuse Google of comprimising privacy, but as the stories
below show, no-one comes close to Microsoft when it comes to pulling your mind
out of your body.

Use Health Vault, Lose Your Rights

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced (NY Times Article) Health Vault. What should have
| followed here is a review of the service by my actually trying it. *
| [...]
| Heard enough? So had I. I'm absolutely going to pass on Health Vault. In
| addition to looking like the Microsoft Passport debacle redux, this is a very
| one-sided contract. They can harm you but you cannot harm them. There is no
| way for any 3rd party to verify that their privacy and security software
| works. * *

Microsoft sued by Beijing student for privacy infringement

,----[ Quote ]
| Lu argued that Microsoft had violated his legal rights by providing a formal
| contract which had to be accepted in order to proceed with the installation.

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe. *

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista--Microsoft’s latest operating system--may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages? * *

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.' *

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.

Microsoft Responds to Re-discovery of Vista Network Slowdowns

Yahoo in China human rights case

,----[ Quote ]
| A human rights group in the US is suing Yahoo for alleged complicity in
| rights abuses and acts of torture in China.

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is not acceptable that Chinese authorities use such methods to silence
| citizens who have merely peacefully voiced their opinions", expressed the
| organisation in an announcement. Apparently authorities have not abandoned
| the practice of punishing those who have exposed the abuse of power and
| defied censorship by compulsorily committing them to mental institutions. * *

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]