[News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry - Linux ; Minnesota woman to appeal $220,000 RIAA award ,----[ Quote ] | Jammie Thomas, the Minnesota woman who last week was ordered to pay the | recording industry $222,000 for copyright violations related to sharing | songs, has decided to appeal ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

    Minnesota woman to appeal $220,000 RIAA award

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Jammie Thomas, the Minnesota woman who last week was ordered to pay the
    | recording industry $222,000 for copyright violations related to sharing
    | songs, has decided to appeal the verdict.
    `----

    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792759-7.html

    As someone said, here you have a convicted monopoly walking around and
    destroying the global industry while one woman get this kind of treatment for
    possession of music.

    An open letter to the RIAA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I think it's time you change your tactics. Did you know that amid your
    | lawsuits, peer-to-peer downloading and torrent downloads have doubled since
    | the lawsuits began? Did you know that although the law clearly states we
    | shouldn't be pirating music, there's little teeth behind a law if millions do
    | it? Much like the days of prohibition, you're fighting a battle you can't
    | win. It's time you give it up.
    `----

    Related:

    An Oregon Woman's Lawsuit against the RIAA, Alleging Racketeering and Malicious
    Prosecution

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | however, that the RIAA is, at a minimum, very foolish to press suits
    | for purported file-sharing against unlikely defendants like Andersen -
    | who alleges that she came forward with solid proof of her innocence.
    `----

    http://writ.news.findlaw.com/ramasastry/20070628.html

    Record Industry Woes Aggravated by Years of Bad PR

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | They say no publicity is bad publicity, but that's not true. Ask Atlanta
    | Falcon quarterback Michael Vick whose alleged involvement in a dog fighting
    | ring just got him banned from training camp by the NFL, a move that alone may
    | end his career even if the courts never convict him. * *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The lingering after effects of several player strikes showed the major sports
    | franchises what can happen when the fan becomes dissatisfied. Today many
    | music fans are unhappy. Can anyone honestly say that poor goodwill has had no
    | affect on CD sales? Can anyone say that the examples above have had no affect
    | on this goodwill? * *
    `----

    http://www.mp3newswire.net/stories/7...dustry-pr.html

    Class Action Initiated Against RIAA

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The amended complaint seeking class action status (PDF) sues for negligence,
    | fraud, negligent misrepresentation, federal and state RICO, abuse of process,
    | malicious prosecution, intentional infliction of emotional distress,
    | violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, trespass, invasion of privacy,
    | libel and slander, deceptive business practices, misuse of copyright law, and
    | civil conspiracy. * *
    `----

    http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...28225&from=rss

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

    7 wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Minnesota woman to appeal $220,000 RIAA award
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> Jammie Thomas, the Minnesota woman who last week was ordered to pay
    >>> the recording industry $222,000 for copyright violations related to
    >>> sharing songs, has decided to appeal the verdict.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792759-7.html

    > Unless the RIAA can prove they are not living off immoral earnings,
    > I think RIAA could and should get prosecuted.
    > The companies that sponsor the RIAA all have recording artists
    > that are hooked on drugs and their work is the product of their
    > drug taking habbits. Like athletes, runners and cyclists in the
    > sporting industry, drug taking enhanced the drug taking artists'
    > abilities
    > and the products of those artists is what the members of RIAA peddle.
    > In other words, the members of the RIAA that fund the RIAA do so
    > on the back of immoral earnings.

    You must be partaking of drugs yourself to actually write down something as
    stoned as this.

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

    DFS wrote:

    > 7 wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Minnesota woman to appeal $220,000 RIAA award
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9792759-7.html

    >> Unless the RIAA can prove they are not living off immoral earnings,
    >> I think RIAA could and should get prosecuted.
    >> The companies that sponsor the RIAA all have recording artists
    >> that are hooked on drugs and their work is the product of their
    >> drug taking habbits. Like athletes, runners and cyclists in the
    >> sporting industry, drug taking enhanced the drug taking artists'
    >> abilities
    >> and the products of those artists is what the members of RIAA peddle.
    >> In other words, the members of the RIAA that fund the RIAA do so
    >> on the back of immoral earnings.

    > You must be partaking of drugs yourself to actually write down something
    > as stoned as this.

    You are probably not aware of the tide
    against drug taking artists in the UK and too afraid
    to have your eyes opened.

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

    7 wrote:
    > DFS wrote:

    >> You must be partaking of drugs yourself to actually write down
    >> something as stoned as this.

    > You are probably not aware of the tide against drug taking
    > artists in the UK and too afraid to have your eyes opened.

    Thankfully Rubber Soul was already recorded.

    (ps don't get your hopes up. Our "War on Drugs" here hasn't slowed down any
    toking musicians)

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Defendant Fights Back at SCO of the Music Industry

    After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > 7 wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> You must be partaking of drugs yourself to actually write down
    >>> something as stoned as this.

    >> You are probably not aware of the tide against drug taking
    >> artists in the UK and too afraid to have your eyes opened.

    > Thankfully Rubber Soul was already recorded.
    >
    > (ps don't get your hopes up. Our "War on Drugs" here hasn't slowed down any
    > toking musicians)

    I always thought Nancy Reagan was out of touch with her "Just Say 'No'
    to Drugs".

    That message would never penetrate an American kid's skull.

    She should have said "Just Say '**** you!' to Drugs."

    --
    Thomas Bowdler: "Just Say 'No' to artificial stimulus-enhancing
    substances."

+ Reply to Thread