Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux ; On Oct 6, 4:19 pm, "Randy Oaks" wrote: > wrote in message > > news:1191705624.157060.40790@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com... > > > > > On Oct 6, 3:47 pm, Gene Jones wrote: > >> Dean Plude wrote: > >> > In my many ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 257

  1. Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 6, 4:19 pm, "Randy Oaks" wrote:
    > wrote in message
    >
    > news:1191705624.157060.40790@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...

    > >> Linux will never achieve anything close to world domination unless the
    > >> users unite and follow Apple's OSX direction. Now Linux has pretty much
    > >> become a footnote in history compared to what apple is doing with UNIX.

    > >> So unless that changes, it's a slow fade to black for the Linux
    > >> community.

    > >> You guys have a chance, but you must "unite" - it's that simple.

    > >> OSX is now about 9 times as large in the world, 6 years ago you guys
    > >> were neck and neck. What happened? No leadership is the answer.

    > >> Within the next few weeks, OSX is going to be a CERTIFIED UNIX.

    > >> Why isn't Linux up to this certification level?

    > >>http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/unix/

    > > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful.
    > > It's two hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own
    > > version of Linux.

    > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    >
    > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have done so
    > already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    > mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.

    Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master
    distro. If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and
    OSX guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer
    (and computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled
    dreck that it's been floating in for a while now.

  2. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    ultimauw@hotmail.com wrote:

    > > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    > >
    > > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have done so
    > > already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    > > mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.
    > >

    > Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    > together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master
    > distro. If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and
    > OSX guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer
    > (and computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled
    > dreck that it's been floating in for a while now.

    yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    until they take this advice.

    chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    hacking.

    linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    and understood high quality computing.

    linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they
    would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    -

  3. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    ultimauw wrote:

    > Maybe there is still hope yet,

    Not for you. You're doomed to be stupid forever.

    *plonk*

  4. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:16:30 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > ultimauw@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    >> >
    >> > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have
    >> > done so already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has
    >> > absolutely zero mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will
    >> > continue to dominate.
    >> >

    >> Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    >> together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master distro.
    >> If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and OSX
    >> guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer (and
    >> computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled dreck
    >> that it's been floating in for a while now.

    > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    > until they take this advice.
    >
    > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    > hacking.
    >
    > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    > UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    > and understood high quality computing.
    >
    > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they
    > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    > good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    I find it funny how everyone takes the statistic of one irrelevant web-
    server of any actual value.

    That said, what do you think is happening? The efforts *are* consolidated.

    All distributions use the same kernel.
    The same desktop managers.
    The same browers.
    The same software.
    The same e-mail software.
    The same newsreaders.
    The same everything.

    The only main significant difference between any distributions is what
    they come with out of the box. That's largely irrelevant.

    So how is this not consolidated?

    So redhat has different package management than ubuntu does. Big friggin
    deal....they still use the same software and kernel.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  5. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:16:30 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > ultimauw@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    >> >
    >> > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have done so
    >> > already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    >> > mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.
    >> >

    >> Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    >> together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master
    >> distro. If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and
    >> OSX guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer
    >> (and computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled
    >> dreck that it's been floating in for a while now.

    > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    > until they take this advice.

    Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    > hacking.

    Lie.

    > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    > UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    > and understood high quality computing.
    >
    > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they

    Lie.

    > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    > good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    Yeah, sure, Oxford. Stop lying, you utter dickhead.

    --
    Kier

  6. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    chrisv wrote:
    > ultimauw wrote:
    >
    > > Maybe there is still hope yet,

    > Not for you. You're doomed to be stupid forever.

    AWWWW Did I upset the little shillbot?

  7. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Kier wrote:

    > > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    > > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    > > until they take this advice.

    > Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    > > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    > > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    > > hacking.

    > Lie.

    show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you can't.

    > > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    > > UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    > > and understood high quality computing.
    > >
    > > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they

    > Lie.

    ah, Linux as .74% of the market, you can't deny that.

    > > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    > > good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    > Yeah, sure, Oxford. Stop lying, you utter dickhead.

    FACTS do not lie. Try it sometime, you'll be highly respected like me if
    you follow my honest advice.

  8. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Oxford writes:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    >> > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    >> > until they take this advice.

    >> Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    > ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...
    >
    >> > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    >> > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    >> > hacking.

    >> Lie.

    > show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you
    > can't.

    http://www.linuxgames.com/xrally/screen.shtml

  9. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:04:55 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    >> > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    >> > until they take this advice.

    >> Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    > ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    Lie.

    >> > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    >> > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    >> > hacking.

    >> Lie.

    > show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you can't.

    Bet you can't prove that Linux developers are young kids with no skills
    outside playing games or hacking, which was what you actually *claimed*,
    dickhead.

    >> > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    >> > UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    >> > and understood high quality computing.
    >> >
    >> > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they

    >> Lie.

    > ah, Linux as .74% of the market, you can't deny that.

    Yes, I can. Linux is not a total mess, it's not any kind of mess.

    >> > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    >> > good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    >> Yeah, sure, Oxford. Stop lying, you utter dickhead.

    > FACTS do not lie. Try it sometime, you'll be highly respected like me if
    > you follow my honest advice.

    Hahahahhahhahhahhhaaa! God, but you are such a dickhead. Oxford. You,
    highly respected? Faugh!

    --
    Kier

  10. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:16:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Oxford writes:

    >>> Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    >> ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    >>> Lie.

    >> show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you
    >> can't.

    > http://www.linuxgames.com/xrally/screen.shtml

    You claim to be a Linux advocate. If pandering to Oxford's fantasies is
    what you call 'advocacy', you are more deluded than I thought.

    Or perhaps you believe that Linuc developers are all kids with no real
    skills?

    --
    Kier

  11. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 11:54:16 -0700, ultimauw wrote:

    > On Oct 6, 4:19 pm, "Randy Oaks" wrote:
    >> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:1191705624.157060.40790@w3g2000hsg.googlegrou ps.com...

    >> > Linux is far too fragmented to accomplish anything useful. It's two
    >> > hundred thousand developers all trying to release their own version
    >> > of Linux.

    >> Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    >>
    >> If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have
    >> done so already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has
    >> absolutely zero mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue
    >> to dominate.
    >>

    > Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    > together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master distro.
    > If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and OSX
    > guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer (and
    > computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled dreck that
    > it's been floating in for a while now.

    Your are missing the idea that the reason there are so many distros is
    that many people want different things. You are missing the point that
    many of the things added to or improved in one distro can be directly
    added to another.

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    Stephan Rose wrote:

    >> linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they
    >> would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent.
    >> Not good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.
    >>

    > I find it funny how everyone takes the statistic of one irrelevant web-
    > server of any actual value.

    "Everyone", or just trolling idiots like Oxtard?

  13. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    chrisv wrote:

    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >>> linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they
    >>> would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent.
    >>> Not good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.
    >>>

    >> I find it funny how everyone takes the statistic of one irrelevant web-
    >> server of any actual value.

    > "Everyone", or just trolling idiots like Oxtard?

    "ultimauw" is not OxRetard

    It is either flatfish or the "linux-sux" cretin
    --
    Most projects start out slowly -- and then sort of taper off.
    -- Norman Augustine

  14. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 13:16:30 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > ultimauw@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."
    >> >
    >> > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have
    >> > done so already. Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has
    >> > absolutely zero mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will
    >> > continue to dominate.
    >> >

    >> Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    >> together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master distro.
    >> If they did that, Linux would beat the pants off of Vista and OSX
    >> guaranteed, and perhaps chart the course for the whole computer (and
    >> computer-device) industry away from the lockdown-drm-crippled dreck
    >> that it's been floating in for a while now.

    > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on just
    > one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't compete
    > until they take this advice.

    And you have been told several times you are a cluesless twit. Who are
    you to say someone can't but together a distro to satisfy a want or need
    that isn't being met?

    And you told ... THEM? Who? Did you think to go tell Shuttleworth to kill
    off Ubuntu? No? Did you write Novell or Red Hat to tell them to kill
    their distros? Did you email texstar to tell him to dump PCLinuxOS? Have
    you noticed PCLOS is becoming one of the more popular distros, without
    heavy advertising? Using your "system", I probably wouldn't be able to
    use the distro and environment I have chosen.

    > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this advice.
    > they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games or
    > hacking.

    I highly doubt the developers at Sun, IBM, Novell, Red Hat (to name a
    very few) are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing games
    or hacking.

    > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the main
    > UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about design
    > and understood high quality computing.
    >
    > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad.

    No, you are sad.

    > I thought at least they
    > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent. Not
    > good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    So Apple's at 6.4% now. What was their share in 1978. Let us know when it
    gets back there.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:04:55 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > yes, and I've told them SEVERAL times they need to concentrate on
    >> > just one or two distros and let the others die off. they just can't
    >> > compete until they take this advice.

    >> Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    > ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    You're a liar.

    >> > chances are now zero that they can't rally around and heed this
    >> > advice. they are mostly young kids with no skills outside of playing
    >> > games or hacking.

    >> Lie.

    > show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you
    > can't.

    Open Office

    >> > linux had a chance during the late 90's but blew it. now OSX is the
    >> > main UNIX distro by a 7 to 1 margin... all because Apple knew about
    >> > design and understood high quality computing.
    >> >
    >> > linux is a total mess now, and it's very sad. I thought at least they

    >> Lie.

    > ah, Linux as .74% of the market, you can't deny that.

    You run from your lies. linux development is not a total mess.

    >> > would have 1% of the market, but it still hovers around .76 percent.
    >> > Not good when Apple has jumped to 6.4% in recent months.

    >> Yeah, sure, Oxford. Stop lying, you utter dickhead.

    > FACTS do not lie.

    They can be made to lie. You try it al the time, and when you get caught,
    you run away.

    > Try it sometime, you'll be highly respected like me if
    > you follow my honest advice.

    You are one of the most detested posters in both COLA and CSMA.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 7, 3:16 pm, Oxford wrote:
    > ultim...@hotmail.com wrote:
    > > > Agreed. Linux is the classic case of "too many cooks in the kitchen."

    > > > If Linux were going to succeed in the consumer market it would have done so
    > > > already.

    Not necessarily. Remember, Linux competes with a company who blocks
    all access to the retail display space. A Linux customer must
    purchase and install Linux without the benefit of an OEM preinstalled
    system.

    The OEM is not allowed to tell the customer exactly which machines can
    easily be configured to run Linux, and which machines should NEVER be
    used to run Linux. The customers usually figure this out for
    themselves, but the OEM can't put this in advertizing or catalog
    descriptions without getting Microsoft's prior written approval, which
    never seems to come in time for the ad deadlines. The OEM just has to
    keep falling back to a "safe" ad that has been approved. Often, both
    ads are submitted the same day, but Microsoft seems to delay the Linux
    ad past the known deadlines.

    Most contracts I deal with, if the approver doesn't provide written
    approval or revisions within 7 days, it is treated as an automatic
    approval, but it seems that Microsoft must only respond within "a
    reasonable time" - not sure what that means - maybe some time within
    the decade?

    The OEM can't make changes to the configuration without Microsoft's
    prior written approval either. Again, if two versions are submitted,
    the Microsoft-only version gets approved within a day, the one
    involving competitors will be revised - perhaps within a year AFTER
    the product release date.
    That whole "reasonable time" thing again.

    > > > Now it's simply too-little, too-late as Linux has absolutely zero
    > > > mindset with the consumer. OSX and Vista will continue to dominate.

    I wouldn't say that. There are billions of Linux licensed devices,
    and almost 1 billion internet users access Linux systems such as
    Google every day. They send their e-mail through Linux routers, they
    protect their LAN with Linux firewalls, go to a coffee shop or
    restaurant and connect via a Linux powered WiFi hub. The PC may be
    purchased with Windows, but it may be running Linux as a VMWare
    appliance, as a Virtual PC client, or it may be Linux working as the
    primary operating system and Windows that is running as the
    Virtualized Client. Running Windows as the VM client makes back-up,
    recovery, and system management much easier, and the extra clock-
    cycles burned in virtualization calls are offset by better
    optimization of disk access and memory management.

    > > Maybe there is still hope yet, but it requires the developers to get
    > > together, set aside their egos, and all work on a single master
    > > distro.

    Funny, that's not what IBM, Dell, and HP are saying. Most of the OEMs
    like the idea of 2-3 competitors competing for access to the
    preinstalled desktop. If they could have their way, all of them would
    allow all of their distributions to be installed and started as either
    the primary OS using a boot manager, or as a virtualized client. Most
    like both Red Hat and SUSE for the server market, and many also like
    Ubuntu for the client market. Others, including Linspire, Xandros,
    and PCLinux are also willing to give very generous terms.

    Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to be unable to approve any
    configuration which involves any configuration of any product other
    than the Microsoft standard Package. Furthermore, if the OEM makes
    such requests, it often takes a while for the drivers for other
    systems to be approved.

    It seems that Microsoft has all the lawyers it needs for it's "Loyal
    Customers", but there seems to be a single lawyer who speaks very
    little English, as a 3rd language, who can't approve anything for
    months, or even a year or two.

    It seems that Microsoft must respond within a "reasonable time". Most
    contracts I deal with, a specific time such as 5 business days is used
    instead. If a response is not provided within that time period, it is
    automatically approved.

    Rex Ballard
    http://www.open4success.com

  17. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged
    demo.

  18. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Kier did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:16:34 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    >> Oxford writes:

    >>> ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    >>> show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you
    >>> can't.

    >> http://www.linuxgames.com/xrally/screen.shtml

    > You claim to be a Linux advocate. If pandering to Oxford's fantasies is
    > what you call 'advocacy', you are more deluded than I thought.

    > Or perhaps you believe that Linuc developers are all kids with no real
    > skills?

    Indeed. Anyway, let's give oxtard a REAL professional level program that
    runs on linux, shall we?

    How about Oracle Application server to start off with?
    IBM websphere good enough for you too, tardy?

    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| |

  19. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Rex Ballard wrote:

    > Not necessarily. Remember, Linux competes with a company who blocks
    > all access to the retail display space. A Linux customer must
    > purchase and install Linux without the benefit of an OEM preinstalled
    > system.

    I certainly see your point. But, if you don't like Microsoft's terms, don't
    agree to them. Kick MS out the door. Do the right thing.

  20. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Jim Richardson wrote:

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 14:04:55 -0600,
    > Oxford wrote:
    >> Kier wrote:
    >>

    >>> Like anyone listens to someone like you.

    >> ah, but they do. they have run away from linux in recent years...

    >>> Lie.

    >> show me ONE professional level program that runs on Linux? bet you can't.
    >>

    > Maya 2008, from autodesk
    >

    > but the 64 bit version doesn't run on OSX, only on Linux and some
    > MSWindows versions.

    Movie production

    http://digitalcontentproducer.com/dc...nux_hollywood/

    /quote
    To consumers, Linux may rank third after Windows and Macintosh, but Linux
    dominates motion pictures more than anyone but studio insiders may realize.
    It has been used to produce more than 30 blockbuster films, including Lord
    of the Rings, Star Wars: Episode II, Harry Potter, Shrek, and Titanic.

    In short, the big news in Hollywood about Linux is it is no longer big news.
    Linux has won not only renderfarm servers, but the artist desktops of the
    top studios. It's hard to find a large studio that does not rely upon Linux
    as its primary animation and special effects OS, and many smaller film
    studios have adopted Linux, too.
    /unquote

    For example the software "Massive" runs on linux and windows (on linux twice
    as fast), and it has been used for example in the making of "Lord of the
    rings"

    /quote
    The transition at Weta Digital to Linux occurred during production on Lord
    of the Rings. Weta Digital used software called Massive to create the
    hordes of digital Orcs in Lord of the Rings 2. “Autonomous characters could
    only be done in a limited way before,” says Massive developer Stephen
    Regelous. “There's no way you can animate a hundred thousand characters in
    any other software in a reasonable amount of time,” says Regelous. “Massive
    runs twice as fast on Linux as it does on Windows.”/unquote

    You can't actually get any more "professional" than that

    And LoTR was produced nearly completely with linux clusters and KDE-Desktops
    --
    Windows isn't unstable. It's spontaneous.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast