Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux ; George Graves wrote: > On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:29:26 -0700, Rick wrote > (in article ): > >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:32:59 -0700, George Graves wrote: >> >>> But what a single distro would do would be ...

  1. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    George Graves wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:29:26 -0700, Rick wrote
    > (in article <13glfamgu0hrfb6@news.supernews.com>):
    >
    >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:32:59 -0700, George Graves wrote:

    < snip >

    >>> But what a single distro would do would be to stimulate acceptance in
    >>> the "shrink-wrap" software world to the point where they could release
    >>> pre-compiled versions of their software for that one distro for one
    >>> platform (PC compatible) that would be relatively safe. Not wanting to
    >>> open their source-code to prying eyes is, IMHO, the single biggest
    >>> reason why companies like Adobe et al don't port their software to Linux
    >>> is because of the need for that software to be compiled by the user due
    >>> to the non-standard configurations of various distributions of Linux on
    >>> a myriad of platforms/processors.

    >> IMO you don't know what you are talking about.

    He certainly does not. Another clueless Mac user

    >> What makes you think the
    >> software would HAVE to be recompiled for each distro?

    > Then why is most open source software distributed that way?

    Because it is prepared for the package manager of that distro
    That does not mean that you can't take another package. In that case
    you /may/ lose some advantages of the package management

    --
    What happens if a big asteroid hits Earth? Judging from realistic
    simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog,

  2. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 8, 7:37 pm, Rick wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:03:10 -0600, Oxford wrote:
    > > George Graves wrote:

    > >> Could a company like, for instance, Adobe, release a single
    > >> shrink-wrapped fully compiled version of its applications marked "For
    > >> Linux" and have it install as easily on ALL modern Linux distributions
    > >> as it now does on PCs or Macs? If so, then you're right. But that begs
    > >> another question. If all the distros are that alike, why haven't any of
    > >> the major software publishers released any of their applications on
    > >> Linux?.

    > > from my understanding Linux simply doesn't have a modern enough
    > > foundation to support high level apps like PhotoShop, InDesign, etc.

    > Dumbass... OS X is much more similar to Linux distros than to Classic
    > MacOS. What the hell do you think OS X is based on?

    Uhm... the aura that is Steve Jobs?

    > > they'd have to do a lot of software kludges to make a Linux versions
    > > work correctly and since the Linux market is so tiny compared to the Mac
    > > one in the creative fields they simply can't afford do it.

    > Idiot.
    >

    > > Same for all other professional level apps, like Office, iLife, AutoCad,
    > > etc. Their approach is too fractured and hard to support is the other
    > > issue. Wish it was different, but unless they "focus", they will never
    > > be a serious contender.

    > So... what professional offices use iLife?

    Oxford. ;-)

  3. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 8, 7:03 pm, Adam Albright wrote:
    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:59:15 -0000, Jesus
    > wrote:

    > >> from my understanding Linux simply doesn't have a modern enough
    > >> foundation to support high level apps like PhotoShop, InDesign, etc.

    > >In other words, you don't understand.

    > Years ago Corel made a lot of noise when they introduced a shrink
    > wrapped version of Linux. I was one of the suckers that bought it. It
    > quickly went belly-up.

    I'm not sure what that has to do with Linux not having a good app
    framework to support complicated applications.

  4. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 8, 7:24 pm, Oxford wrote:
    > Kier wrote:
    > > > yes, and while agree for the most part... linux users forget they are
    > > > mainly isolated to the poorer sections of northwest europe. and never
    > > > have been able to spread beyond that region. nobody in the states uses
    > > > linux, nobody in japan, canada, etc.

    > > Where do you get *that* incredibly dumb idea? You must have pulled it out
    > > of your arse.

    > the fact you spelled "ass" incorrectly according to the wealthier
    > nations, proves you are living in a poor area.

    I'm proud of you for even knowing arse=ass. Can you find your ass,
    Oxford?

    > Linux is certainly 2nd or
    > 3rd place there, but here in wealthier portions of the world, nobody has
    > even heard of Linux!

    You're probably one of those nitwits who can't even find his own state
    on the map. jackass.

    > trust me... Linux? what? Is that a star trek
    > character? wasn't that a video game in 1998? A new restaurant? let's go
    > sometime... etc.

    Lots of people can't tell me what Windows does on their computer,
    either. Your point?

    > I'm trying to help you understand the larger world kier, to help you
    > understand Linux is unheard of here in the States, Canada, Japan, etc.

    Even the people who don't know what it does know what Linux is and
    many people use Linux in those countries you listed. Heck, you're
    probably using it in some way right now. You're just too stupid to
    realize it.

    > > > photoshop is technically free, you just need to learn where to look. so

    > > 'Technically free' - in other words, you recommend that people steal it.
    > > We Linux users have no need to be thieves.

    > No, I suggest people use PhotoShop no matter how they obtain it.

    Because you're a pirate. ****tard. I bet you steal OS X/iLife/iWork,
    too.

    > GIMP is
    > an embarrassment to the human race and you know it.

    GIMP is just fine. YOU are an embarrassment to the human race.

    > > > the idea of gimp replacing it is just mythical thinking.

    > > > i've learned to have no bias regarding platforms, i just search for the
    > > > best and be done with it. i think if linux users will do the same
    > > > they'll switch on over to OSX since there really isn't a better OS at
    > > > this time.

    > > Bull****. You're incredibly biased against Linux.

    > NO. I want Linux to succeed against Microsoft. But why all the false
    > starts and promises that remain unfulfilled?

    Such as?

    > What is holding up the
    > Linux community from creating something great?

    Nothing. The Linux community has created tons of great stuff. Try
    out Compiz Fusion, whore. Beats the **** out of Quartz Extreme.

    > The FACT:
    >
    > No FOCUS..... and I'm simply here to tell it straight, not gloss over
    > the false reasons you and other people like Peter keep trying to avoid.
    >
    > I'm telling you the TRUTH, so you must learn to deal with my explanation
    > or disappear.

    No, reality's not going to disappear. Sorry, liar.

    Hey Steve Carroll, why don't you jump on Oxford with reality? Why
    just Snit?

    > > > it's not about "faith" it's about being practical and currently OSX owns
    > > > the unix market.

    > > Bull****.

    > Ah, OSX does own 7 times more than the Linux market as of "today",
    > that's a proven fact.

    How did you redefine "today" to make that true?

    > Kier, have you ever traveled? If not, thus you know why Linux is not
    > accepted... it's a baby Unix

    Liar.

    > it needs software, it needs certification,
    > it needs to be consolidated down to 1 or 2 distros, etc.
    >
    > Unless you do that, Linux has zero future.

    It already has a future.

    > We all know that.

    *You* think you know that. But you be wrong, jackass.

    > But do you?

    We know something called reality.

  5. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    George Graves wrote:
    > On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 16:29:26 -0700, Rick wrote
    > (in article <13glfamgu0hrfb6@news.supernews.com>):
    >
    >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:32:59 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 11:54:16 -0700, ultimauw@hotmail.com wrote (in
    >>> article <1191783256.814194.298860@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups. com>):

    >>> I doubt if it would "beat the pants off" of either OSX or Vista. Even
    >>> though Linux is better than Windows "anything" MS is too entrenched in
    >>> the computer world, and OSX is simply too sophisticated to be displaced
    >>> by an OS like Linux.
    >>>
    >>> But what a single distro would do would be to stimulate acceptance in
    >>> the "shrink-wrap" software world to the point where they could release
    >>> pre-compiled versions of their software for that one distro for one
    >>> platform (PC compatible) that would be relatively safe. Not wanting to
    >>> open their source-code to prying eyes is, IMHO, the single biggest
    >>> reason why companies like Adobe et al don't port their software to Linux
    >>> is because of the need for that software to be compiled by the user due
    >>> to the non-standard configurations of various distributions of Linux on
    >>> a myriad of platforms/processors.

    >> IMO you don't know what you are talking about. What makes you think the
    >> software would HAVE to be recompiled for each distro?

    > Then why is most open source software distributed that way?

    It's packaged for a particular distro, but that's because there are
    several competing package managers out there. In many cases, you can use
    packages from other distributions just fine, though sometimes that can
    cause problems. There are also utilities out there that will convert
    binary packages from one format to another. Alien is an example of that,
    which lets dpkg users install binary rpm packages for their architecture.

    This is not really that big of a deal in practice, because all of the
    major distros have very robust package repositories these days. I don't
    generally need to download packages from the developer's site, unless
    I'm wanting bleeding edge packages. Why, then, would I care what they're
    releasing?

    >>> Once this happened, the MS hegemony would truly start to fall apart as
    >>> there would be fewer and fewer reasons not to replace Windows with
    >>> Linux.

  6. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    why so angry Jesus?

    I thought you loved everyone?

    It's sad that even you have turned on the human race.

  7. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

    > Per Oxford:
    > >nobody in the states uses
    > >linux, nobody in japan, canada, etc.

    > Few years back when I was doing contract work for a major mutual
    > fund at least one of the officer-level people I worked with used
    > Linux as their desktop of choice at work.

    you did no such thing. name the company and I'll confirm.

  8. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    yakety yak wrote:

    > >> they'd first have to start bricking anything. so far they haven't
    > >> bricked any of their products in 31 years.

    > All those new iBrick owners would disagree.

    do you have any names of these people? nope!

    you got caught in a media lie.

    -

  9. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > >> from my understanding Linux simply doesn't have a modern enough
    > >> foundation to support high level apps like PhotoShop, InDesign, etc.

    > >In other words, you don't understand.

    > Years ago Corel made a lot of noise when they introduced a shrink
    > wrapped version of Linux. I was one of the suckers that bought it. It
    > quickly went belly-up.

    correct. linux simply does have the market for quality software.

    it's mainly a tinker toy set for young boys.

  10. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:24:43 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > yes, and while agree for the most part... linux users forget they are
    >> > mainly isolated to the poorer sections of northwest europe. and never
    >> > have been able to spread beyond that region. nobody in the states
    >> > uses linux, nobody in japan, canada, etc.

    >> Where do you get *that* incredibly dumb idea? You must have pulled it
    >> out of your arse.

    > the fact you spelled "ass" incorrectly according to the wealthier
    > nations, proves you are living in a poor area. Linux is certainly 2nd or
    > 3rd place there, but here in wealthier portions of the world, nobody has
    > even heard of Linux! trust me... Linux? what? Is that a star trek
    > character? wasn't that a video game in 1998? A new restaurant? let's go
    > sometime... etc.
    >
    > I'm trying to help you understand the larger world kier, to help you
    > understand Linux is unheard of here in the States, Canada, Japan, etc.

    Do you like looking like such an utter jerk in front of the world?

    >> > photoshop is technically free, you just need to learn where to look.
    >> > so

    >> 'Technically free' - in other words, you recommend that people steal
    >> it. We Linux users have no need to be thieves.

    > No, I suggest people use PhotoShop no matter how they obtain it.

    .... and Oxford admits to condoning theft.

    > GIMP is an embarrassment to the human race and you know it.

    It is not an embarrassment, and you know it.

    >> > the idea of gimp replacing it is just mythical thinking.
    >> >
    >> > i've learned to have no bias regarding platforms, i just search for
    >> > the best and be done with it. i think if linux users will do the same
    >> > they'll switch on over to OSX since there really isn't a better OS at
    >> > this time.

    >> Bull****. You're incredibly biased against Linux.

    > NO. I want Linux to succeed against Microsoft. But why all the false
    > starts and promises that remain unfulfilled? What is holding up the
    > Linux community from creating something great?

    They created something great.

    > The FACT:
    >
    > No FOCUS..... and I'm simply here to tell it straight, not gloss over
    > the false reasons you and other people like Peter keep trying to avoid.
    >
    > I'm telling you the TRUTH, so you must learn to deal with my explanation
    > or disappear.
    >
    >> > it's not about "faith" it's about being practical and currently OSX
    >> > owns the unix market.

    >> Bull****.

    > Ah, OSX does own 7 times more than the Linux market as of "today",
    > that's a proven fact.

    yes, Apple has certainly fallen since their gory market share days.

    > Kier, have you ever traveled? If not, thus you know why Linux is not
    > accepted... it's a baby Unix, it needs software, it needs certification,
    > it needs to be consolidated down to 1 or 2 distros, etc.
    >
    > Unless you do that, Linux has zero future. We all know that. But do you?

    Damn... how can you be so stupid? Linux is being adopted by users,
    companies and governments all over the world.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Bob Campbell wrote:

    > > We want REAL apps, like MS Office 2008 or super high end like iWork.

    > Um, you have that backwards. MS office is the high end. iWork is
    > definitely low to mid end.

    What? iWork is about a decade ahead of anything available from Linux,
    and about 5-6 years ahead of anything coming out of Microsoft.

    sounds like you are far behind at looking at iWork.

    please educate yourself before you post again:

    http://www.apple.com/iwork/

    -

  12. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:44:06 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > i really don't think anyone is "against" Linux, its just their own
    >> > internal "perceived strength" is really their "greatest weakness"
    >> > when they come up against very well organized, funded UNIX distros
    >> > like OSX.
    >> >
    >> > they need to learn to focus on 1 or 2 distros, then let the others
    >> > die

    >> Good luck with getting that to happen, moron.

    > so you are you talking to yourself, or admitting I'm correct with that
    > comment?

    Right? You?

    AHAh HAh HAHh AHha HAHh ahHA hAha hA

    > kier, you know I want the best for the linux movement, but I've clearly
    > seen that it has stalled, so just trying to help you and other linux
    > users see the clear light.

    We've seen the light. That's why we use Linux.

    >> > off, this diluted effort has killed Linux so far, but it doesn't have
    >> > to be.
    >> >
    >> > Later this month they are going to get hit with another massive round
    >> > of a better UNIX that is incredibly "organized". I feel sorry for
    >> > them in a way, but if they can't match this, they can't compete:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/

    >> Yawn. Never learn, do you, Oxford>

    > Ah, OSX is now 7 times larger than Linux's installed base, so that means
    > I've learned quite a bit, while you have been sent back to school to
    > learn more.

    No, you haven't learned.

    > The biggest event in the history of UNIX is about to happen, where will
    > you be when it does?

    You might want to tell that to the guys that wrote unix.

    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Bob Campbell wrote:

    > Thus Linux will continue on its current path to oblivion on the desktop.
    >
    > Bob Campbell

    correct!

  14. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article
    ,
    Oxford wrote:

    > Bob Campbell wrote:
    >
    > > > We want REAL apps, like MS Office 2008 or super high end like iWork.

    > > Um, you have that backwards. MS office is the high end. iWork is
    > > definitely low to mid end.

    > What? iWork is about a decade ahead of anything available from Linux,
    > and about 5-6 years ahead of anything coming out of Microsoft.

    You're dreaming. I have iWork 08 and Office 2004. There is no
    comparison. iWork is clearly aimed at home users - Numbers bogs down
    horribly on anything but simple spreadsheets.

    Office 2008 will only further the gap. Stop being such a ridiculous
    Apple fanboy for once in your life.

    Bob Campbell

  16. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    X-No-Archive=Yes
    Linux does not want world domination. Linux means diversity. There is need
    for Distributions, and, by the way, Distributions aren't very important for
    the functionality of Linux. They aren't very different to each others,
    since they only use some more or some less programs and have a modified
    structure of config files.

  17. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Oxford

    wrote
    on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 17:24:43 -0600
    :
    > Kier wrote:
    >
    >> > yes, and while agree for the most part... linux users forget they are
    >> > mainly isolated to the poorer sections of northwest europe. and never
    >> > have been able to spread beyond that region. nobody in the states uses
    >> > linux, nobody in japan, canada, etc.

    >> Where do you get *that* incredibly dumb idea? You must have pulled it out
    >> of your arse.

    > the fact you spelled "ass" incorrectly according to the wealthier
    > nations, proves you are living in a poor area.

    And there goes the conversation. You do realize that
    Japan is one of the wealthier nations, for example?
    Even Germany might beg to differ with you. Not everyone
    speaks English.

    US: $43.8k/cap
    Japan: $33.1k/cap
    Germany: $31.9k/cap
    Switzerland: $34k/cap

    But never mind, obviously everyone should just use "ass"
    anyway. To do otherwise runs the risk of getting those
    dangerous red squiggly lines.

    And of course them thar foreigners are dangerous. Can't be
    too careful.

    > Linux is certainly 2nd or
    > 3rd place there,

    7th, after MacOS, FreeBSD, AmigaOS, HURD, and the Toy
    Operating System. (At least, in your dreams. Can't say
    regarding other places.)

    > but here in wealthier portions of the world, nobody has
    > even heard of Linux! trust me... Linux? what? Is that a star trek
    > character? wasn't that a video game in 1998? A new restaurant? let's go
    > sometime... etc.

    And yet everyone's heard of Microsoft Windows Vista. Ah,
    the power of marketing campaigns.

    > I'm trying to help you understand the larger world kier, to help you
    > understand Linux is unheard of here in the States, Canada, Japan, etc.

    Of course.

    >> > photoshop is technically free, you just need to learn where to look. so

    >> 'Technically free' - in other words, you recommend that people steal it.
    >> We Linux users have no need to be thieves.

    > No, I suggest people use PhotoShop no matter how they obtain it. GIMP is
    > an embarrassment to the human race and you know it.

    Clearly this "embarrassment" needs fixing, then.
    Anything in particular wrong with it that you can identify?

    >> > the idea of gimp replacing it is just mythical thinking.
    >> >
    >> > i've learned to have no bias regarding platforms, i just search for the
    >> > best and be done with it. i think if linux users will do the same
    >> > they'll switch on over to OSX since there really isn't a better OS at
    >> > this time.

    >> Bull****. You're incredibly biased against Linux.

    > NO. I want Linux to succeed against Microsoft.

    Why? It's junk, it's crap, it's runny stuff wandering all
    over the middle of the roadway looking for a nearby sewer
    drain, if I understand you correctly. Microsoft is the
    best, has always *been* the best, and the server dominance
    of Linux will fade in time as Microsoft turns its attention
    to upselling IIS.

    Well, maybe.

    > But why all the false
    > starts and promises that remain unfulfilled? What is holding up the
    > Linux community from creating something great?

    Nothing. What's holding back Microsoft from releasing Blackcomb?

    > The FACT:
    >
    > No FOCUS..... and I'm simply here to tell it straight, not gloss over
    > the false reasons you and other people like Peter keep trying to avoid.
    >
    > I'm telling you the TRUTH, so you must learn to deal with my explanation
    > or disappear.

    Don't worry. Linux will vanish soon enough; after all, it
    is violating 235 patents. Of course, the courts have yet
    to be told which patents, one of which is probably "how to
    loop through an array with an integer variable" and another
    "how to read bytes from a file". But never mind that.

    >> > it's not about "faith" it's about being practical and currently OSX owns
    >> > the unix market.

    >> Bull****.

    > Ah, OSX does own 7 times more than the Linux market as of "today",
    > that's a proven fact.

    And Microsoft owns more than 7 times the OSX market. That's a
    fact as well.

    This means, of course, that Microsoft Windows is 7 times better
    than OSX and 50 times better than Linux. QED!

    > Kier, have you ever traveled? If not, thus you know why Linux is not
    > accepted... it's a baby Unix, it needs software, it needs certification,
    > it needs to be consolidated down to 1 or 2 distros, etc.

    Actually, were some in Microsoft to have their way, any Unix based
    and Linux based machine would be replaced on sight with IIS.

    (There's a cynical game called 'xbill' still out there.)

    > Unless you do that, Linux has zero future. We all know that. But do you?

    Well, yeah. We need to merge Linux and Windows. We might
    call the result...Lindows! Oh, wait, that's been tried.
    Windux? OK. Yeah, that'll work. Of course we'll need
    to proprietorize all of the Linux source code, Gtk, Gnome,
    Qt, KDE, the X Windows System, Tcl/TK, Python, Ruby, PHP,
    PostgreSQL, OpenOffice, a few other things. Heck, we'll
    just make sure they'll *all* able to read and write OOXML.

    No problem. We'll then have Microsoft Windux, "the most
    reliable Microsoft Windows Operating System ever!".

    And we'll all live happily ever after. Oh, wait, that's
    not what you wanted? Too bad. Apple doesn't dominate
    in the desktop space; never has since about 1990, when
    Win3.1 took off.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows. Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
    (1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".

  18. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Bob Campbell wrote:

    > > What? iWork is about a decade ahead of anything available from Linux,
    > > and about 5-6 years ahead of anything coming out of Microsoft.

    > You're dreaming. I have iWork 08 and Office 2004. There is no
    > comparison. iWork is clearly aimed at home users - Numbers bogs down
    > horribly on anything but simple spreadsheets.
    >
    > Office 2008 will only further the gap. Stop being such a ridiculous
    > Apple fanboy for once in your life.

    get an intel mac and call us back.

    sorry Bob, but your hardware along with your understanding is seriously
    out of date.

  19. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:21:44 -0000, Jesus
    wrote:

    >On Oct 8, 7:03 pm, Adam Albright wrote:
    >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 22:59:15 -0000, Jesus
    >> wrote:

    >> >In other words, you don't understand.

    >> Years ago Corel made a lot of noise when they introduced a shrink
    >> wrapped version of Linux. I was one of the suckers that bought it. It
    >> quickly went belly-up.

    >I'm not sure what that has to do with Linux not having a good app
    >framework to support complicated applications.

    I'm just illustrating even major software vendors haven't been able to
    push Linux into wider acceptance. As a OS it is equal to or superior
    to Windows in many ways however it lacks support. Vendors won't write
    software for it since there is too small a customer base. Customers
    won't buy Linux in mass because little major league software runs on
    it. A vicious cycle.

  20. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Linux does suffer from people who think, Linux should rule the OS market.
    Linux is a good system for geeks. And that's schweet.