Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux ; In article , spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote: > > Accurate translation: they don't want to suffer the big loss of > > productivity that using Linux would entail, due to lack of free software > > for the things they do. > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13
Results 241 to 257 of 257

Thread: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

  1. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article , spike1@freenet.co.uk
    wrote:
    > > Accurate translation: they don't want to suffer the big loss of
    > > productivity that using Linux would entail, due to lack of free software
    > > for the things they do.

    >
    > Oh, I get it...
    > It's ok to pay for software on windows to do something, but it's totally
    > unheard of to pay for software on linux to do the same job.
    >
    > tsk.


    What does Windows have to do with this? We are talking about a Mac shop
    doing things that they can't do on Linux.

    I shouldn't have said free. I should have just said "lack of software".
    They are working in an area where there are gaps in what is available
    for Linux, free or commercial. The big studios using Linux fill those
    gaps with in-house apps that would not be available to Znu if he were to
    try to switch his shop to Linux.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  2. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > Translation: We're incapable of changing to another OS because our
    > workers can't cope with anything other than the software they are
    > used to.


    Translation: the world should embrace substandard open source (cr)apps
    because a cola nut says so.

    (and the cola nut in question uses Windows all day at work)





  3. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    DFS wrote:
    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >
    >> Translation: We're incapable of changing to another OS because our
    >> workers can't cope with anything other than the software they are
    >> used to.

    >
    > Translation: the world should embrace substandard open source (cr)apps
    > because a cola nut says so.
    >
    > (and the cola nut in question uses Windows all day at work)


    Translation: you are a willfully stupid git with no credibility.

  4. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy George Graves wrote:
    >
    > IOW, you can't place a PDF in even the latest NeoOffice/OO. If you choose
    > insert picture from file, go to a folder with files in it to choose a PDF,
    > you will find that they are all greyed-out. Look below to the graphic file
    > type list and you'll find that PDF isn't even among the supported file types.
    >


    Maybe because PDF is not a graphics file format?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_file_formats

    You can easily use pdftoppm to convert a PDF to a graphics format that OO
    can work with, so that it then becomes simply a matter of:

    Insert->Picture->From File



  5. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    ZnU wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Stephan Rose wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:21 -0600, Oxford wrote:
    >>
    >>> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> Could a company like, for instance, Adobe, release a single
    >>>>> shrink-wrapped fully compiled version of its applications marked "For
    >>>>> Linux" and have it install as easily on ALL modern Linux
    >>>>> distributions as it now does on PCs or
    >>>>> Macs?
    >>>> Seems to work fine for google earth and opera.
    >>> java based apps and a few open source apps are fine. but when you get
    >>> into "professional" level code, Linux doesn't work without a LOT of
    >>> extra fine tuning.

    >> That's complete bull****.
    >>
    >> As long as library dependencies are met, which are no different than DLL
    >> dependencies under Windows, any code will run. Period.

    >
    > You realize you're mostly arguing with Mac users in this thread, yes?
    > Who are generally not terribly impressed with Windows? Particularly the
    > way it handles libraries?


    Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?

    >
    >> There's no "extra fine tuning", that's complete crap.

    >


  6. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    TheLetterK wrote:

    > ZnU wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Stephan Rose wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:21 -0600, Oxford wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>>> Could a company like, for instance, Adobe, release a single
    > >>>>> shrink-wrapped fully compiled version of its applications marked "For
    > >>>>> Linux" and have it install as easily on ALL modern Linux
    > >>>>> distributions as it now does on PCs or
    > >>>>> Macs?
    > >>>> Seems to work fine for google earth and opera.
    > >>> java based apps and a few open source apps are fine. but when you get
    > >>> into "professional" level code, Linux doesn't work without a LOT of
    > >>> extra fine tuning.
    > >> That's complete bull****.
    > >>
    > >> As long as library dependencies are met, which are no different than DLL
    > >> dependencies under Windows, any code will run. Period.

    > >
    > > You realize you're mostly arguing with Mac users in this thread, yes?
    > > Who are generally not terribly impressed with Windows? Particularly the
    > > way it handles libraries?

    >
    > Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?


    Of course it does.

    It just handles them better...


    ....much better.

    >
    > >
    > >> There's no "extra fine tuning", that's complete crap.

    > >


    --
    Alan Baker
    Vancouver, British Columbia
    "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall
    to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you
    sit in the bottom of that cupboard."

  7. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master"distro for the general computer/device market.

    "TheLetterK" stated in post
    gp7Si.1842$c9.629@bignews8.bellsouth.net on 10/19/07 12:18 PM:

    >>> As long as library dependencies are met, which are no different than DLL
    >>> dependencies under Windows, any code will run. Period.

    >>
    >> You realize you're mostly arguing with Mac users in this thread, yes?
    >> Who are generally not terribly impressed with Windows? Particularly the
    >> way it handles libraries?

    >
    > Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?


    What would make you even guess that?


    --
    Picture of a tuna soda: http://snipurl.com/f351
    Feel free to ask for the recipe.




  8. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    TheLetterK wrote:

    > ZnU wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Stephan Rose wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:21 -0600, Oxford wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>>> Could a company like, for instance, Adobe, release a single
    > >>>>> shrink-wrapped fully compiled version of its applications marked "For
    > >>>>> Linux" and have it install as easily on ALL modern Linux
    > >>>>> distributions as it now does on PCs or
    > >>>>> Macs?
    > >>>> Seems to work fine for google earth and opera.
    > >>> java based apps and a few open source apps are fine. but when you get
    > >>> into "professional" level code, Linux doesn't work without a LOT of
    > >>> extra fine tuning.
    > >> That's complete bull****.
    > >>
    > >> As long as library dependencies are met, which are no different than DLL
    > >> dependencies under Windows, any code will run. Period.

    > >
    > > You realize you're mostly arguing with Mac users in this thread, yes?
    > > Who are generally not terribly impressed with Windows? Particularly the
    > > way it handles libraries?

    >
    > Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?


    I don't think that. But the only reason I don't think that is because
    I've read developer documentation. If I were just a regular user of OS
    X, I very well could have come to the conclusion that it doesn't have
    shared libraries, because they're handled so transparently.

    --
    "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming
    out any other way."
    --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

  9. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    TheLetterK wrote:

    > ZnU wrote:
    > > In article ,
    > > Stephan Rose wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 15:05:21 -0600, Oxford wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote:
    > >>>
    > >>>>> Could a company like, for instance, Adobe, release a single
    > >>>>> shrink-wrapped fully compiled version of its applications marked "For
    > >>>>> Linux" and have it install as easily on ALL modern Linux
    > >>>>> distributions as it now does on PCs or
    > >>>>> Macs?
    > >>>> Seems to work fine for google earth and opera.
    > >>> java based apps and a few open source apps are fine. but when you get
    > >>> into "professional" level code, Linux doesn't work without a LOT of
    > >>> extra fine tuning.
    > >> That's complete bull****.
    > >>
    > >> As long as library dependencies are met, which are no different than DLL
    > >> dependencies under Windows, any code will run. Period.

    > >
    > > You realize you're mostly arguing with Mac users in this thread, yes?
    > > Who are generally not terribly impressed with Windows? Particularly the
    > > way it handles libraries?

    >
    > Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?


    sure, but on OSX it's less "dependent", that's why people are switching
    in droves to OSX.

    linux and windows share the same problem.......................

    "Windows and Linux are designed from the core out, which is to say that
    they are all about layered kernels, system calls, and APIs, with each
    layer's purpose being to abstract the layers below it. The layers grow
    thicker; when a layer gets unmanageably thick, a pretty new abstraction
    layer is created so that people don't have to deal with the ugly one.
    Programmers end up having endless entry points with identical purpose
    and having heated debates about which ones are best. But each way of
    doing the same thing involves varying dependencies, deprecations, and
    peculiarities"

    osx doesn't have any of that since it is DESIGNED by professionals,
    Linux and Windows are not!

    client:

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

    enterprise level server:

    http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

    ----

  10. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:07:10 -0600, Gene Jones wrote:

    > TheLetterK wrote:


    >> Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?

    >
    > sure, but on OSX it's less "dependent", that's why people are switching
    > in droves to OSX.


    Where's your evidence for such a preposterous claim? And, no, I don't mean
    your made-up speculations. Let's have hard facts for once.

    --
    Kier


  11. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Kier wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 16:07:10 -0600, Gene Jones wrote:
    >
    >> TheLetterK wrote:

    >
    >>> Oh, and you think OS X doesn't have shared libraries?

    >>
    >> sure, but on OSX it's less "dependent", that's why people are switching
    >> in droves to OSX.

    >
    > Where's your evidence for such a preposterous claim? And, no, I don't mean
    > your made-up speculations. Let's have hard facts for once.
    >


    What hard "facts"? "Gene Jones" is another nymshift of OxRetard, the typical
    Mac user.
    There are no facts. There is only, exclusivly Mac user babble. It does not
    get dumber than that
    --
    Avoid reality at all costs.


  12. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release many "master" distros for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    wrote:

    > Install Vista PISTA on your machine and pistify your machine? No thanks.
    >
    > Linux is a lot better.
    >
    > Linux has many consolidated master distros.
    > Free to download loads of them from here..
    > http://www.livecdlist.com
    > http://www.distrowatch.com
    >
    > Each as masterful as the other.


    You're really missing the point entirely.
    There are huge benefits to:
    consistency
    recognizability
    and suitability for users who know nothing about Linux.

    > The fact is they are all better than windopws crap.
    > You can see them in action at
    > http://www.youtube.com search for beryl and compiz to view demos.

    To view demos of beryal and compiz, right?
    Not to view comprehensive primers on Linux as a whole, right?

  13. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release many "master" distros for the general computer/device market.

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:16:26 -1000, Mitch wrote:

    > In article ,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Install Vista PISTA on your machine and pistify your machine? No thanks.
    >>
    >> Linux is a lot better.
    >>
    >> Linux has many consolidated master distros. Free to download loads of
    >> them from here.. http://www.livecdlist.com
    >> http://www.distrowatch.com
    >>
    >> Each as masterful as the other.

    >
    > You're really missing the point entirely. There are huge benefits to:
    > consistency recognizability and suitability for users who know nothing
    > about Linux.


    You're missing the point that there are also huge benefits to competition
    and a variety of products to fit different needs. What you're arguing, in
    effect, is that we should have only one car company and it should make
    just one model and that should come in just one color. So, which one do
    you think Detroit should make then - a big gas-guzzling pickup truck for
    hauling heavy loads and pulling trailers, an SUV for hauling kids to
    school, a fun two-seater sports car, a 4-wheel drive for off-road and the
    snow states, or a small ultra-fuel-efficient 2wd sedan?

    >> The fact is they are all better than windopws crap. You can see them in
    >> action at http://www.youtube.com search for beryl and compiz to view
    >> demos.

    >
    > To view demos of beryal and compiz, right? Not to view comprehensive
    > primers on Linux as a whole, right?


    Barnes & Noble sell a number of very good Ubuntu (and other distro)
    books. Personally, I find ubuntuforums.org to be an excellent reference.




  14. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release many "master" distros for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    yakety yak wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:16:26 -1000, Mitch wrote:
    >
    > > In article ,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Install Vista PISTA on your machine and pistify your machine? No
    > >> thanks.
    > >>
    > >> Linux is a lot better.
    > >>
    > >> Linux has many consolidated master distros. Free to download loads
    > >> of them from here.. http://www.livecdlist.com
    > >> http://www.distrowatch.com
    > >>
    > >> Each as masterful as the other.

    > >
    > > You're really missing the point entirely. There are huge benefits
    > > to: consistency recognizability and suitability for users who know
    > > nothing about Linux.

    >
    > You're missing the point that there are also huge benefits to
    > competition and a variety of products to fit different needs.


    This sort of thing is largely irrelevant with software, which can, of
    course, be made highly configurable. It's not as if there's all that
    much meaningful diversity among Linux distros anyway. All the mainstream
    desktop distros offer pretty much the same functionality.

    [snip]

    --
    "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming
    out any other way."
    --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

  15. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Oct 19, 6:07 pm, Gene Jones wrote:
    > osx doesn't have any of that since it is DESIGNED by professionals,
    > Linux and Windows are not!


    **** you, Oxtard. You couldn't even write a shell script that says
    "Hello world."



  16. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release many "master" distros for the general computer/device market.

    yakety yak did eloquently scribble:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 20:16:26 -1000, Mitch wrote:


    >> In article ,
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Install Vista PISTA on your machine and pistify your machine? No thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is a lot better.
    >>>
    >>> Linux has many consolidated master distros. Free to download loads of
    >>> them from here.. http://www.livecdlist.com
    >>> http://www.distrowatch.com
    >>>
    >>> Each as masterful as the other.

    >>
    >> You're really missing the point entirely. There are huge benefits to:
    >> consistency recognizability and suitability for users who know nothing
    >> about Linux.


    > You're missing the point that there are also huge benefits to competition
    > and a variety of products to fit different needs. What you're arguing, in
    > effect, is that we should have only one car company and it should make
    > just one model and that should come in just one color.


    Besides that...
    What have consistency and recognisability got to do with it?
    Microsoft certainly don't abide by that.
    If you want to maintain consistency NOW, you HAVE to switch from microsoft
    office 2003 to OpenOffice. Because OpenOffice is now the closest in look and
    feel TO Microsoft office.

    I've had the misfortune to have suffered one exposure to an office 2007 app
    so far. Don't worry, I went through decon. Couldn't even find group/ungroup
    in powerpoint for ages. That was TWO of us both fumbling around looking for
    things. Both of whom would've just gone to it automatically in the old
    versions.
    --
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    | spike1@freenet.co.uk | |
    |Andrew Halliwell BSc(hons)| "The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't |
    | in | suck is probably the day they start making |
    | Computer science | vacuum cleaners" - Ernst Jan Plugge |
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  17. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release many "master" distros for the general computer/device market.

    In article ,
    yakety yak wrote:

    > > You're really missing the point entirely. There are huge benefits to:
    > > consistency recognizability and suitability for users who know nothing
    > > about Linux.

    >
    > You're missing the point that there are also huge benefits to competition
    > and a variety of products to fit different needs.

    No, I wasn't missing that point at all. It simply isn't what the thread
    was about.

    > What you're arguing, in
    > effect, is that we should have only one car company and it should make
    > just one model and that should come in just one color.

    No, I was saying that the argument for recognizing and making
    marketable the Linux products requires them to be consistent in that
    way.
    I am NOT saying that is the best thing for Linux development, nor the
    best for Linux users or customers -- that's a completely different
    discussion, obviously.



+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13