Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market. - Linux ; In article , Rick wrote: > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:36:02 -0400, ZnU wrote: > > > In article , Rick > > wrote: > > > >> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:54:30 -0600, Oxford wrote: > >> ...

  1. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article <13gogggfqd1vicb@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:36:02 -0400, ZnU wrote:
    >
    > > In article <13gmnnhaso6f7b6@news.supernews.com>, Rick
    > > wrote:

    > >> aha HAH ahha HHA hahah HAHaha H Ahaha hhaha hah ...
    > >>
    > >> You're arguing about Linux, meathead. And IBM developers write Linux
    > >> and OSS software. If linux is a fairly big deal at a company much
    > >> larger than Apple, how is it unheard of in the US?

    > > Um... I think you'll find that Apple is very nearly as large as IBM
    > > these days. ($146B vs. $161B.)

    > Fine, fine, I'll reword it your way...
    >
    > You're arguing about Linux, meathead. And IBM developers write Linux
    > and OSS software. If linux is a fairly big deal at a company as
    > large as Apple, how is it unheard of in the US?

    That better.

    Oxford really is the closest thing to a religious zealot I've ever seen
    in an advocacy group. Unless he's just a troll, of course.

    --
    "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming
    out any other way."
    --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

  2. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article <1191974117.521674.271130@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>,
    Jesus wrote:

    > On Oct 9, 3:05 am, George Graves wrote:
    > > On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:57:41 -0700, Oxford wrote (in article
    > > ):
    > >
    > > > why so angry Jesus?

    > > > I thought you loved everyone?

    > > > It's sad that even you have turned on the human race.

    > > It's pointless trying to have a discussion with these linux
    > > fanatics. To them every comment is a challenge, a lie, or worse.
    > > You either follow the party line or you are damned. It's real
    > > simple. Linux has had years to achieve some sort of critical mass
    > > as a viable desktop system and it hasn't moved very far in spite of
    > > being so much better than Windows that it isn't even a contest. Yet
    > > if you tell these Linux fanatics that one little fact, they go
    > > ballistic. Basically, I think that they know its true, but the
    > > emperor's new suit of clothes.... well, you know.

    > HAHAHAHAHA! Did you just call me a Linux fanatic for calling BS on
    > Oxford saying basic frameworks in Linux not being up to handling
    > complicated apps?

    It's worth noting that many of the high-end apps on Linux tend to
    largely implement their own widgets, drawing routines, etc. Certainly
    nobody can complain about glibc (well, there's probably someone
    somewhere...), but are the GUI APIs in Linux all that great? I'm
    asking; I honestly don't know. But I've noticed commercial developers
    often seem to avoid them. I suppose this might just be a result of
    licensing issues and/or portability, though.

    --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

  3. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article <0001HW.C3312ACA00411DF8F0182648@news.comcast.net>,
    George Graves wrote:
    > Version 2.3 of OO, as far as I can tell, STILL doesn't support placed PDFs in
    > documents. That means if a colleague sends you a Word file that has placed
    > PDF images in it (very likely in this day and age) and you are running OO,
    > the images won't show. Not good in a work environment.
    >
    > I actually like NeoOffice much better than I like MS Office and I'd use it
    > more, if it were more MS Office (especially Word) compatible. But then I
    > submit a lot of articles to various magazines and some of them require
    > illustrations which are best saved as PDFs due to file size. But OO won't let
    > me place the PDFs so I find myself back in Word again. Frustrating. Are there
    > workarounds? Sure. I can send the illustrations in a separate file and give
    > them numbers as file names. Then in the text, I can denote an anchored space
    > and put a note in it that "Graphic #1 goes here". But why bother?

    What do you mean by a placed image? I haven't used many images in Word
    documents, so may not be doing the right thing, but if I make a Word
    document, and use the insert picture from file command to insert a PDF
    image (a drawing I made in OmniGraffle and exported as PDF), and then
    save the file and open it in NeoOffice, or OpenOffice 2.3 native beta
    for OS X, they both show the image just fine.

    Is that something different from a placed image?

    --
    --Tim Smith

  4. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    ZnU wrote:

    > > > Um... I think you'll find that Apple is very nearly as large as IBM
    > > > these days. ($146B vs. $161B.)

    > > Fine, fine, I'll reword it your way...
    > >
    > > You're arguing about Linux, meathead. And IBM developers write Linux
    > > and OSS software. If linux is a fairly big deal at a company as
    > > large as Apple, how is it unheard of in the US?

    > That better.
    >
    > Oxford really is the closest thing to a religious zealot I've ever seen
    > in an advocacy group. Unless he's just a troll, of course.

    i'm just more honest than most, don't mince words, and know the subject
    matter inside and out. nuff said...

  5. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Tim Smith wrote:

    > On 2007-10-09, Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >>> I've got a small media production company. We absolutely couldn't do
    >>> what we do on Linux. The software just isn't there. Linux might be used
    >>> on render farms in Hollywood, but it has no reasonable replacement for
    >>> Final Cut Pro or Motion. Or Photoshop or InDesign or Aperture, for that
    >>> matter. It doesn't have system-wide color management. It generally
    >>> doesn't have official drivers for printers.

    >> Translation:
    >>
    >> Our workers aren't capable of changing platforms because we've no
    >> expertise in media editing software.

    > Correction: they don't feel like writing their own media editing
    > software, which is what you have to do to get a reasonable replacement
    > for FCP or Motion. Why do you think the examples of studios using
    > desktop Linux involve studios using it to run their proprietary in-house
    > applications that they developed?

    Reasonable?

    Translation: We're incapable of changing to another OS because our workers
    can't cope with anything other than the software they are used to.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distrofor the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:34:21 -0600, Oxford wrote:

    >> > Fine, fine, I'll reword it your way...
    >> >
    >> > You're arguing about Linux, meathead. And IBM developers write Linux
    >> > and OSS software. If linux is a fairly big deal at a company as large
    >> > as Apple, how is it unheard of in the US?

    >> That better.
    >>
    >> Oxford really is the closest thing to a religious zealot I've ever seen
    >> in an advocacy group. Unless he's just a troll, of course.

    > i'm just more honest than most, don't mince words, and know the subject
    > matter inside and out. nuff said...

    ah ahha ha haha hahah ahah aha a h...

    oh, you were serious?

    AHA HAHA hah HA ha ahHHA HA HAHa haA

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    In article <12298438.lOuPiWKIoI@netscape.net>,
    Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > >> Translation:
    > >>
    > >> Our workers aren't capable of changing platforms because we've no
    > >> expertise in media editing software.

    > > Correction: they don't feel like writing their own media editing
    > > software, which is what you have to do to get a reasonable replacement
    > > for FCP or Motion. Why do you think the examples of studios using
    > > desktop Linux involve studios using it to run their proprietary in-house
    > > applications that they developed?

    > Reasonable?
    >
    > Translation: We're incapable of changing to another OS because our workers
    > can't cope with anything other than the software they are used to.

    Translation: you don't have a clue as to what software is available for
    Linux.

    They *can't* consider switching to Linux, because there is *no* open
    source software that is comparable to what they are using on Mac. If
    they switch to Linux, they either have to give up a lot, or do what the
    major studios have done: write their own software.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  8. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:26:17 -0700, Rick wrote
    (in article <13go3gp68ng189e@news.supernews.com>):

    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 12:55:38 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 03:49:32 -0700, Rick wrote (in article
    >> <13gmn5sakag7n5d@news.supernews.com>):

    >>> .. thank you for agreeing Excel is better than Numbers.

    >>> .. you only care about what it will be? Why don;t you understand how
    >>> stupid you sound?

    >>> OO.o is fine for MOST people. In fact it includes at least 90% of the
    >>> "features" of MS Office.

    >>> ... then by extension, OO Writer is better for several types of tasks.

    >>> How is it better than OO.o?

    >> That is a tricky question to answer. I'd like to say that OO's major
    >> drawback is that it's not totally compatible with MS Office - especially
    >> Word.

    > Name anything that is totally compatible with MS Office except another
    > copy of Office of the same version.
    >
    >> Unfortunately, the actual truth is that MS Office isn't all that
    >> compatible with other versions of MS Office or even the same version on
    >> different versions of Windows, so complaining about compatibility with
    >> MS Office is sort of moot (as in which version of Office? On which
    >> version of Windows or Mac OS?). OO does have some serious drawbacks that
    >> make it awkward, at best, to use in the enterprise where, for instance,
    >> Word is the world-wide de-facto standard.

    > .. except you just said the Word isn't compatible with Word.. so it isn't
    > really a standard.

    When the entire corporate world depends upon it day-in and day-out, it's a
    standard even if there's nothing standard about it.

    >> I run NeoOffice (OO ported to Mac) and while its a little behind the
    >> current OO release (which Mac users can also run under X11), it's not
    >> that far behind (2.2.2 Vs 2.3 for OO).
    >>
    >> Version 2.3 of OO, as far as I can tell, STILL doesn't support placed
    >> PDFs in documents. That means if a colleague sends you a Word file that
    >> has placed PDF images in it (very likely in this day and age) and you
    >> are running OO, the images won't show. Not good in a work environment.

    > A pdf in a wp document.. interesting. Tell me.. how does Apple's WP do
    > that?

    Select "Choose" from the 'Insert' menu, navigate in the file dialog box to
    the PDF you want, hit "Choose" and then move the image on the page to where
    you want it and then re-scale as necessary. How would you think it's done?
    It's similar in Word too except that one does an "Insert Picture - From
    File."

    >> I actually like NeoOffice much better than I like MS Office and I'd use
    >> it more, if it were more MS Office (especially Word) compatible. But
    >> then I submit a lot of articles to various magazines and some of them
    >> require illustrations which are best saved as PDFs due to file size. But
    >> OO won't let me place the PDFs so I find myself back in Word again.

    > Why don't you just ship them a PDF?

    Why don't you stop apologizing for the fact that OO lacks this ability?

    >> Frustrating. Are there workarounds? Sure. I can send the illustrations
    >> in a separate file and give them numbers as file names. Then in the
    >> text, I can denote an anchored space and put a note in it that "Graphic
    >> #1 goes here". But why bother?

    > Ah, well... if this is important to enough people, it will get added in.

    It should support ALL graphics formats.

    >>> ... -when- it is ready to go. Thanks for admitting iWork isn't ready.

    >> It's ready for its intended purpose which is an easy to use page layout
    >> program and an elegant presentation application that beats the pants off
    >> of PowerPoint seven ways to sundown. Of course, that isn't difficult.
    >> PowerPoint has been the stepchild of MS Office for years now.
    >>
    >> But I think that what the previous poster means is that since Apple
    >> added a spreadsheet application to iWorks '08, that they are trying to
    >> make an office suite like MS Office.

    > ... and according to Oxford, it isn't ready to go.

    I think he means that it's not "finished" as in it still lacks several
    modules (like a database) to be a complete "replacement" for Office.

  9. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:26:21 -0700, Tim Smith wrote
    (in article ):

    > In article <0001HW.C3312ACA00411DF8F0182648@news.comcast.net>,
    > George Graves wrote:
    >> Version 2.3 of OO, as far as I can tell, STILL doesn't support placed PDFs
    >> in
    >> documents. That means if a colleague sends you a Word file that has placed
    >> PDF images in it (very likely in this day and age) and you are running OO,
    >> the images won't show. Not good in a work environment.
    >>
    >> I actually like NeoOffice much better than I like MS Office and I'd use it
    >> more, if it were more MS Office (especially Word) compatible. But then I
    >> submit a lot of articles to various magazines and some of them require
    >> illustrations which are best saved as PDFs due to file size. But OO won't
    >> let
    >> me place the PDFs so I find myself back in Word again. Frustrating. Are
    >> there
    >> workarounds? Sure. I can send the illustrations in a separate file and give
    >> them numbers as file names. Then in the text, I can denote an anchored
    >> space
    >> and put a note in it that "Graphic #1 goes here". But why bother?

    > What do you mean by a placed image? I haven't used many images in Word
    > documents, so may not be doing the right thing, but if I make a Word
    > document, and use the insert picture from file command to insert a PDF
    > image (a drawing I made in OmniGraffle and exported as PDF), and then
    > save the file and open it in NeoOffice, or OpenOffice 2.3 native beta
    > for OS X, they both show the image just fine.
    >
    > Is that something different from a placed image?

    Yes,your scenario will work that way (sorry about that) because Windows
    converts the placed PDF to an Office Metafile. This is why someone should
    always check what they write before hitting that "Post" button. Actually, its
    placing the PDF in a OO/NeoOffice file that won't work.

    IOW, you can't place a PDF in even the latest NeoOffice/OO. If you choose
    insert picture from file, go to a folder with files in it to choose a PDF,
    you will find that they are all greyed-out. Look below to the graphic file
    type list and you'll find that PDF isn't even among the supported file types.

  10. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:04:57 -0700, Rick wrote
    (in article <13gogapr9084a5f@news.supernews.com>):

    > On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:47:07 -0700, George Graves wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 03:56:16 -0700, Rick wrote (in article
    >> <13gmnigar37km54@news.supernews.com>):

    >>> Explain to use why the city of Largo uses OpenOffice if it is not a
    >>> professional level application.

    >> Please explain how your non sequitur remark, above, has anything
    >> whatsoever to do with my comment.

    > Yada, yada, yada...
    >
    > You said OO.o was not a pro-level app. Explain why Largo has deployed a
    > non-pro-level app across the City.

    Who knows? Who cares? maybe they're cheap or broke, or both. I'm not
    responsible for what Largo does (wherever Largo is). I'm sure you can
    exceptions to every "rule". That doesn't prove that OO is considered a
    pro-level application anywhere. It might be someday. but this is not that
    day.

  11. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 16:55:17 -0700, Jesus wrote
    (in article <1191974117.521674.271130@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.c om>):

    > On Oct 9, 3:05 am, George Graves wrote:
    >> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:57:41 -0700, Oxford wrote
    >> (in article
    >> ):
    >>
    >>> why so angry Jesus?

    >>> I thought you loved everyone?

    >>> It's sad that even you have turned on the human race.

    >> It's pointless trying to have a discussion with these linux fanatics. To
    >> them
    >> every comment is a challenge, a lie, or worse. You either follow the party
    >> line or you are damned. It's real simple. Linux has had years to achieve
    >> some
    >> sort of critical mass as a viable desktop system and it hasn't moved very
    >> far
    >> in spite of being so much better than Windows that it isn't even a contest.
    >> Yet if you tell these Linux fanatics that one little fact, they go
    >> ballistic.
    >> Basically, I think that they know its true, but the emperor's new suit of
    >> clothes.... well, you know.

    > HAHAHAHAHA! Did you just call me a Linux fanatic

    I was making a general comment. That you assumed that I was talking about you
    is a matter between yourself and your own paranoia.

    > for calling BS on
    > Oxford saying basic frameworks in Linux not being up to handling
    > complicated apps? I support no one OS. I use all three major OSes.
    > I just don't like seeing Oxford's lying ****. It degrades Mac users.

  12. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 03:56:54 +0000, Rick wrote:

    >>> That better.
    >>>
    >>> Oxford really is the closest thing to a religious zealot I've ever seen
    >>> in an advocacy group. Unless he's just a troll, of course.

    >> i'm just more honest than most, don't mince words, and know the subject
    >> matter inside and out. nuff said...

    > ah ahha ha haha hahah ahah aha a h...
    >
    > oh, you were serious?
    >
    > AHA HAHA hah HA ha ahHHA HA HAHa haA

    Seriously deluded, that's all that Oxford is.

    --
    Kier

  13. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    TheLetterK wrote:

    > Peter Hayes wrote:
    > > Oxford wrote:
    > >
    > >> notinuse2@btinternet.com (Peter Hayes) wrote:

    > A decrease in the value of currency will usually decrease unemployment,
    > in moderate amounts.

    At present US unemployment is up, not up a lot, but the trend is there.
    The dollar is gradually falling. This isn't a good combination.

    <...>

    > >> don't see much above $3 in "real-time"... thus you are wrong.

    > > The US average peaked at $3.24 on 17th May. It's fallen away a little
    > > since but the overall trend is upwards. Expect to pay at least £3.50
    > > next spring, unless something radical happens.

    > That would be a 280% increase over current prices. That seems a little
    > extreme for only a few months. Did you mean $3.50 USD?

    Indeed - it was late, nearly past my bedtime...

    > You also need to
    > correct for inflation, which is becoming an increasingly more involved task.

    Most economic indicators point to a downturn in the world economy in the
    next few years. Perhaps not a recession, with negative growth, but
    sufficient to make life difficult for many people.

    The underlying health of each nation's economy will determine how badly
    individuals are affected.

    --

    Immunity is better than innoculation.

    Peter

  14. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Oxford wrote:

    > > > Incorrect. you CLEARLY goofed by using a link that was based on
    > > > FORECASTS... while i CLEARLY corrected you by using real numbers
    > > > straight from both governments. The UK has about .8% poorer employment
    > > > of its people... that's a fact.

    > > You quoted a US unemployment figure, 4.6%, and I said it is rising,
    > > which is correct. It's up to you to either agree a rise in US
    > > unemployment, or to disagree, not to sidestep the comment with spurious
    > > complaints about perfectly valid charts.

    > but you quoted a link of a "forecast" by a non-governmental agency. my
    > report was correct.

    Your government tells the truth? That's a novelty.

    > yours was not. the number is 4.7% not 4.6%.

    So it's 0.1% worse. Fine, except for theose Bush has put on the
    scrapheap.

    > > > Actually, Gas prices in the States are declining and have been for
    > > > awhile now. Let's look at the last 1 year... is that fair enough?

    > > If you like. Petrol was $2.14 a year ago and is $2.80 now, give or take
    > > a cent, US average

    > Sure, but that's per liter or whatever, the US still runs circles around
    > other developed countries for the lowest fuel prices.

    Most other developed countries levy extraordinary amounts of tax on
    fuel. Most of the UK pump price is tax.

    > The UK has practically no natural resources in this area

    You've obviously never heard of North Sea oil. The UK has been
    self-sufficient in oil and gas since the early 1980s.

    > > > don't see much above $3 in "real-time"... thus you are wrong.

    > > The US average peaked at $3.24 on 17th May. It's fallen away a little
    > > since but the overall trend is upwards. Expect to pay at least £3.50
    > > next spring, unless something radical happens.

    > the "average" has now fallen to $2.80 or less... what? £3.50 that would
    > never happen. $4.93 per gallon?

    $7 per gallon. $2 buys £1, near enough in this context, you should now
    realise just how far the USD has plummeted in world markets.

    > there would be riots in the streets.
    > Please check your facts before you post such nonsense.

    Yeah, typo, sorry. Should be $3.50. But that would have been
    self-evident to the intelligent reader.

    > > The wild fluctuations in price suggest an unstable market. Under these
    > > circumstances it won't take much to trigger off a rapid increase in
    > > price.

    > it reflects Katrina wiping out several refineries, and the whole silly
    > iraq war... once the war is over, and bush is gone, gas prices will drop
    > back down to $1.59 or so.

    I very much doubt it. What goes up very rarely comes down.

    > > > She played a subservient hostess at PARC, serving Milk and Cookies
    > > > before all the "talent" left for Apple.
    > > >
    > > > Ouch!
    > > >
    > > > Proving once again, she had nothing to do with Steve and Apple!

    > > She played a much more crucial role than that. Try again.

    > Nothing that is documented. Try again.

    Nothing documented where you've looked, you mean...

    --

    Immunity is better than innoculation.

    Peter

  15. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    George Graves wrote:

    > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 08:58:27 -0700, spike1@freenet.co.uk wrote
    > (in article <32lst4-91d.ln1@ridcully.ntlworld.com>):
    >
    > > In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.advocacy,
    > > Adam Albright didnst hastily scribble thusly:
    > >> Seems a lot of blockheads come from the UK. Interesting, I observed
    > >> this FACT in just about every newsgroup I ever visited. Most of the
    > >> clowns either are from the UK (can tell from their spelling of certain
    > >> common words like ass or color) or they still are there judging form
    > >> their email address or posting header.

    > > Ahhhh good.
    > > Not only a moron, but a racist moron.

    > Racist? how do you get that? He has no way of knowing your race, only your
    > nationality.

    Unfortunately that idiot Blair has turned virtually anything to do with
    nationality or religion into racism. Slag off the Welsh and you're a
    "racist". Slag off Muslims and you're a "racist". Complain about
    immigration and you're a "racist".

    The errors in that deeply flawed individual's arguments are obvious for
    all to see, unfortunately he has the thought police on his side.

    --

    Immunity is better than innoculation.

    Peter

  16. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Adam Albright wrote:

    > Seems a lot of blockheads come from the UK. Interesting, I observed
    > this FACT in just about every newsgroup I ever visited. Most of the
    > clowns either are from the UK (can tell from their spelling of certain
    > common words like ass

    Ass is a wild donkey, or a fool. Seems you're an ass.

    --

    Immunity is better than innoculation.

    Peter

  17. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    Followups set

    ZnU wrote:

    > Oxford really is the closest thing to a religious zealot I've ever seen
    > in an advocacy group. Unless he's just a troll, of course.

    Oh, he's just a troll. Nobody could demonstrate such crass ignorance and
    be serious.

    Trolling is ok in csma and cola, but not in general newsgroups, so
    followups set.

    --

    Immunity is better than innoculation.

    Peter

  18. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, George Graves belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    > Just the Linux-head's refusal to admit to anyone something that they DO KNOW
    > to be true. Namely that Linux has a lot of problems and a lot of baggage left
    > over from it's CLI "geek" days.

    Never admin'ed a Windows server, eh? Or edited the Registry as per a
    Microsoft recommendation?

    Or run Ubuntu?

    All that "baggage" is wrapped in GUI front-ends. And yet is still
    available for those who enjoy having deep control over their config.

    I find that an large proportion of Windows users are simply too close to
    their OS to realize just how much baggage /it/ carries. Just ask a
    Windows newbie about the "C: drive".

    Talk about your baggage from Window's CLI "geek" days.

    --
    Before pointing out the mote in someone else's eye, remove the beam from
    thine own eye!

  19. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, George Graves belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >> Ni wrote a public letter to Chinese media on July 17 opposing the
    >> new format. Microsoft did not respond to Ni’s letter until July
    >> 31, when Tim Chen, senior vice-president of Microsoft and
    >> chairman and CEO of its China operation, said the accusation was
    >> “unfair”. “We are promoting the new format in response to our
    >> users’ needs,” he said. (english.people.com.cn)
    >> [/quote]

    > I have but one comment. Who cares other than a Linux apologist?

    A Microsoft apologist?

    --
    Tux rox!

  20. Re: Linux developers MUST consolidate and release a "master" distro for the general computer/device market.

    After takin' a swig o' grog, Kier belched out this bit o' wisdom:

    >>> Could you be any more stupid? Linux is a long, long way from being a
    >>> 'toy', moron.

    >> It's a great, almost bulletproof sever OS. AFAIC, a nice, cheap, fast PC with
    >> Linux and Apache installed, sitting in the closet can't be beat.

    > Or on a desktop.

    Actually, at least from my vantage point, a GNU/Linux system is a
    /better/ /desktop/ than Windows.

    o More responsive (with some unfortunate exceptions such as GNU file
    dialogs in large directories).

    o More desktop features, by far.

    o Quicker installation of most types of applications.

    o Better security model for the normal user.

    o More foolproof update methods.

    o No activation, very little DRM.

    Quite frankly, I find XP to be confining. I know some who enjoy it,
    however.

    --
    Tux rox!