Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It. - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It. - Linux ; "Stephan Rose" wrote in message news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXanZ2dnUVZ8qjinZ2d@giganews.com ... > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote: >> Actually this may be a sign of things to come... >> >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=869&num=1 > > Now *THAT* is just too cool. ...

  1. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXanZ2dnUVZ8qjinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

    >> Actually this may be a sign of things to come...
    >>
    >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=869&num=1

    > Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)

    Its not new stuff though.
    Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
    without starting windows.
    They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't expect
    many will flock to the ASUS one either.

    Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is intended
    for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the buyer is more
    likely to just use the windows installed.

  2. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:30:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    > news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXanZ2dnUVZ8qjinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    >> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 04:34:55 -0500, Charlie Tame wrote:

    >>> Actually this may be a sign of things to come...
    >>>
    >>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=869&num=1

    >> Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)

    > Its not new stuff though.
    > Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
    > without starting windows.
    > They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't
    > expect many will flock to the ASUS one either.
    >
    > Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is
    > intended for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the
    > buyer is more likely to just use the windows installed.

    You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
    entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.

    The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
    whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it comes
    to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  3. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:30:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    >> news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXanZ2dnUVZ8qjinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Now *THAT* is just too cool. =)

    >> Its not new stuff though.
    >> Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use features
    >> without starting windows.
    >> They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't
    >> expect many will flock to the ASUS one either.
    >>
    >> Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is
    >> intended for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the
    >> buyer is more likely to just use the windows installed.

    > You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    > Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
    > entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.
    >
    > The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
    > whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it comes
    > to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

    Who said it didn't fall flat on its face?
    There are a few embedded windows products about BTW so it is not impossible.
    What falls flat on its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a
    PC.
    Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to change
    ATM.
    Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and got
    someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might be
    different.

  4. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
    wrote:

    >"Stephan Rose" wrote in message

    >> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    >You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?

  5. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    "Adam Albright" wrote in message
    > On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Stephan Rose" wrote in message

    >>> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    >>You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    > Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?

    Your problem is you are irrational.
    You will always do the wrong thing and look stupid so learn to live with it.
    You may as well forget about giving out your advice too as everyone thinks
    you are crazy and ignores you except for the odd moment they are bored and
    want to play.

  6. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

    > "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 15:30:42 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    >>> news:kNydnRCU0N45MJXanZ2dnUVZ8qjinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Its not new stuff though.
    >>> Quite a few machines have shipped with embedded software to use
    >>> features without starting windows.
    >>> They don't appear to be reasons why people buy a machine and I don't
    >>> expect many will flock to the ASUS one either.
    >>>
    >>> Its a bit silly really.. its a high performance motherboard that is
    >>> intended for games so the buyer is going to want to run windows.. the
    >>> buyer is more likely to just use the windows installed.

    >> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    > You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    Seeing how my end of the stick doesn't have much of windows on it, I like
    it very much.

    >> Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
    >> entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.
    >>
    >> The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
    >> whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it
    >> comes to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

    > Who said it didn't fall flat on its face? There are a few embedded
    > windows products about BTW so it is not impossible. What falls flat on
    > its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a PC.

    Yea I know about WinCE. It's about the last environment I'd want to use
    for any embedded product. Oh and, embedded software is among the software
    I write for a living. Microsoft's embedded compiler is beyond outdated
    dating back to Visual Studio 6 days. MS' newer environments are only able
    to use the .Net Compact Framework for CE Development which is about as
    inappropriate for embedded development as it can only get.

    When I write embedded software I want and need low level access to my
    hardware and every bit of speed I can find. Not a high-level abstracted
    object oriented language with a garbage collector and runtime checking
    and no direct hardware access that MS wants me to use.

    Dunno what went over Microsoft's head there....

    > Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to
    > change ATM.

    Well it obviously isn't intended to be actually used as a daily use OS
    for the computer. But I can quite well see the uses for diagnostics,
    trouble shooting, or plain simple testing when I go to build a new
    system. It also would make a far more excellent environment to do things
    like reflash the bios from.

    > Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and
    > got someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might
    > be different.

    Check out Ubuntu Mobile. It is intended for precisely *that* using Intel
    hardware and just blows Windows CE out of the water.

    --
    Stephan
    2003 Yamaha R6

    君のこと思い出す日なんてないのは
    君のこと忘れたときがないから

  7. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    "Stephan Rose" wrote in message
    news:e8udnZa5NapkvZTanZ2dnUVZ8qXinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
    >
    >> "Stephan Rose" wrote in message

    >>> You just don't get it and probably never will, right?

    >> You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    > Seeing how my end of the stick doesn't have much of windows on it, I like
    > it very much.
    >

    >>> Of course nobody is going to use this as their operating system so your
    >>> entire point you were trying to make just went down the drain.
    >>>
    >>> The point of this whole thing is that this is possible to do with Linux
    >>> whereas it'd be impossible to do with something like Vista. When it
    >>> comes to embedded products, Windows just falls flat on it's face.

    >> Who said it didn't fall flat on its face? There are a few embedded
    >> windows products about BTW so it is not impossible. What falls flat on
    >> its face is the idea of putting a mini preboot OS in a PC.

    > Yea I know about WinCE. It's about the last environment I'd want to use
    > for any embedded product. Oh and, embedded software is among the software
    > I write for a living.

    I used to do that before I did bigger and, maybe, better things.
    I have written in ASM86, PLM86, C, java amongst others.
    I quite liked RMX86 as a kernel myself.. did some X25 firmware in that.

    > Microsoft's embedded compiler is beyond outdated
    > dating back to Visual Studio 6 days. MS' newer environments are only able
    > to use the .Net Compact Framework for CE Development which is about as
    > inappropriate for embedded development as it can only get.
    >
    > When I write embedded software I want and need low level access to my
    > hardware and every bit of speed I can find.

    When you work on realtime control systems like telephone exchanges you have
    different requirements to windows and Linux.
    Linux sure doesn't give realtime responses in the varieties most people talk
    about here so just because someone calls it linux doesn't mean it is linux.

    > Not a high-level abstracted
    > object oriented language with a garbage collector and runtime checking
    > and no direct hardware access that MS wants me to use.

    Write a driver then.. that's what I did when I needed real-time response in
    Unix.
    Its not a problem if you need to do it.

    > Dunno what went over Microsoft's head there....
    >
    >> Its been done before and it didn't work, I see no reason for this to
    >> change ATM.

    > Well it obviously isn't intended to be actually used as a daily use OS
    > for the computer. But I can quite well see the uses for diagnostics,
    > trouble shooting, or plain simple testing when I go to build a new
    > system. It also would make a far more excellent environment to do things
    > like reflash the bios from.

    It might be a bit risky if its in the same rom as the bios.

    >> Now if they put a similar bit of software in a really cheap small MB and
    >> got someone to manufacture a suitable matching touch screen things might
    >> be different.

    > Check out Ubuntu Mobile. It is intended for precisely *that* using Intel
    > hardware and just blows Windows CE out of the water.

    No need really, its fairly easy to write a run to completion real time
    scheduler.

  8. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:35:00 +0100, "dennis@home"
    wrote:

    >"Adam Albright" wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:08:51 +0100, "dennis@home"
    >> wrote:

    >>>You, as usual get the wrong end of the stick.

    >> Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?
    >>

    >Your problem is you are irrational.
    >You will always do the wrong thing and look stupid so learn to live with it.
    >You may as well forget about giving out your advice too as everyone thinks
    >you are crazy and ignores you except for the odd moment they are bored and
    >want to play.

    Play with this:

    http://usversusthem.files.wordpress....ush-finger.jpg

    While I never would try to speak for others, I think the sentiment
    Bush is conveying in the above image is typical of what most think of
    blowhards like you.

  9. Re: Linux Just Sucks.. No Wonder So Few Are Using It.

    > On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:35:00 +0100, "dennis@home"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Adam Albright" wrote in message

    >>> Your problem is you have a stick up your ass or is that your own head?
    >>>

    >>Your problem is you are irrational.
    >>You will always do the wrong thing and look stupid so learn to live with
    >>it.
    >>You may as well forget about giving out your advice too as everyone thinks
    >>you are crazy and ignores you except for the odd moment they are bored and
    >>want to play.

    > Play with this:
    >
    > http://usversusthem.files.wordpress....ush-finger.jpg
    >
    > While I never would try to speak for others, I think the sentiment
    > Bush is conveying in the above image is typical of what most think of
    > blowhards like you.

    How come everything you say could be about you.. no probably is about you?
    Do you have some sort of mental problem that requires you to keep saying
    things that are true of you but that you need to attach to others? Maybe to
    convince yourself that you are normal?
    I bet you could tell us the name if you read your notes again.

+ Reply to Thread