Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups - Linux

This is a discussion on Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups - Linux ; Is there a newsreader that is better than PAN for managing the article list of newsgroups that contain millions of articles? Some newsgroups contain millions of articles but PAN doesn't seem able to handle that much on a 512 MB ...

  1. Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups

    Is there a newsreader that is better than PAN for managing the
    article list of newsgroups that contain millions of articles?
    Some newsgroups contain millions of articles but PAN doesn't seem
    able to handle that much on a 512 MB system.
    --
    Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
    Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

  2. Re: Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:25:47 -0800, Chuck Forsberg wrote:

    > Is there a newsreader that is better than PAN for managing the
    > article list of newsgroups that contain millions of articles?
    > Some newsgroups contain millions of articles but PAN doesn't seem
    > able to handle that much on a 512 MB system.

    I use BNR2.

    http://www.bnr2.org/

    It can grind a bit, but it always gets there eventually. It seems more cpu
    intensive than memory intensive though.

    --
    BOFH Excuse #391:

    We already sent around a notice about that.

  3. Re: Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups

    Chuck Forsberg enlightened us with:
    > Is there a newsreader that is better than PAN for managing the
    > article list of newsgroups that contain millions of articles?

    What do you mean with "managing"? Anyways, I use nget for downloading
    binaries.

    Sybren

  4. Re: Best newsreader for gigantic binary newsgroups

    On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 17:25:47 -0800, Chuck Forsberg thoughtfully wrote:

    > Is there a newsreader that is better than PAN for managing the article
    > list of newsgroups that contain millions of articles? Some newsgroups
    > contain millions of articles but PAN doesn't seem able to handle that
    > much on a 512 MB system.

    When you find one let me know.

    You might try adding rules to remove some of the millions of articles as
    they come to Pan. Apply incoming rules: that delete articles/posts older
    than 14days, that delete articles from bozos or that delete non-binary
    attachments in binary newsgroups unless those are .nfo or .par posts.
    You can make the rules specific to a group, groups or server.

    BTW if you have lots of servers and newsgroups Pan will still crawl
    since it seems to maintain an index for a group as long as you have a
    single header saved in that group whether it's subscribed or not
    subscribed.

    $ ls -lRh $HOME/.pan

+ Reply to Thread