cfk wrote:
> Gentlemen:
>
> I have three computers. 'R' runs RH9, 'F' runs Fedora and a new one 'D'
> that now runs Debian 'Sarge' as of yesterday.
>
> I have been able to run X programs using ssh on 'R' from 'F' and on 'F'
> from 'R' essentially out-of-the-box with no special incantations.
>
> I cannot run an X program using ssh from either 'R' or 'F' to 'D'.
>
> I tried 'xhost +localhost' on 'D' and rebooted it to no avail.
>
> What am I doing wrong.
>
> Signed, 'A Puzzled Charles'

You should know that Debian by default doesn't allow incoming X
applications by default. If you do a ps and grep for X you should see
the option "-nolisten tcp".

By tunneling the app through SSH you are getting around this.

If you want to turn off this default behavior then edit your
/etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc file and comment out the last option. This will
enable the xhost command to function for you.

Dray