Switching Consoles - Linux

This is a discussion on Switching Consoles - Linux ; Besides my 'real' Linux box I am experimenting with it also on my Windoze machine in a VMware environment. Works quite smoothly btw on a HyperThreading machine, much better than on my previous box. Problem is Ctrl-Alt is caught by ...

  1. Switching Consoles

    Besides my 'real' Linux box I am experimenting with it also on my
    Windoze machine in a VMware environment. Works quite smoothly btw on a
    HyperThreading machine, much better than on my previous box.

    Problem is Ctrl-Alt is caught by VMware as a sign I want to get the
    focus back to Windows. Does anyone know how I can assign a different
    keycode perhaps in Linux to be able to switch consoles once I am in X/KDE ?

    (Next step might be Windows in a VM on a Linux box, better option
    perhaps... I still need Windows for my photo-stuff and I like my
    www-editor and PHP-edit too much to let go yet.)

    Thanks!
    Schraalhans

  2. Re: Switching Consoles

    Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:
    > Besides my 'real' Linux box I am experimenting with it also on my
    > Windoze machine in a VMware environment. Works quite smoothly btw on a
    > HyperThreading machine, much better than on my previous box.
    >
    > Problem is Ctrl-Alt is caught by VMware as a sign I want to get the
    > focus back to Windows. Does anyone know how I can assign a different
    > keycode perhaps in Linux to be able to switch consoles once I am in X/KDE ?
    >
    > (Next step might be Windows in a VM on a Linux box, better option
    > perhaps... I still need Windows for my photo-stuff and I like my
    > www-editor and PHP-edit too much to let go yet.)
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Schraalhans

    Looks like I just found a fix. VMware itself has a solution.
    Ctr-Alt-Space followed by the required Function key does the trick.

    Thanks anyway for all who read and gave it some thought! Maybe now it
    will help someone else too. (Still curious whether it's possible to
    change the keyboard combo in Linux. As the most configurable OS I know
    it would surprise me if it isn't possible)

    Rgds
    Schraalhans.

  3. Re: Switching Consoles

    [Schraalhans Keukenmeester]
    > Thanks anyway for all who read and gave it some thought! Maybe now it
    > will help someone else too. (Still curious whether it's possible to
    > change the keyboard combo in Linux. As the most configurable OS I know
    > it would surprise me if it isn't possible)

    Of course it's possible, though I'm not sure how to do it in X. The
    keyboard settings in X is a quite different story from the keyboard
    settings in the console. (I did this in the console while using the
    "happy hacker"-keyboard once - the happy hacker comes without F-keys,
    and pressing alt+fn+1 was just too much hazzle, so I remapped it to
    just the F-keys without alt).

    It's also nice to be aware of the command line version, chvt(1)
    (eventually switchto(1) in some operating systems / distributions).

    (is Schraalhans Keukenmeester your real name? To me it sounds like a
    very noisy, a bit drunken guy - most probably German, except it should
    probably be "meister" instead of "meester" then ;-)

    --
    Tobias Brox, Tromsø, Arctic

  4. Re: Switching Consoles

    Tobias Brox wrote:
    > [Schraalhans Keukenmeester]
    >
    >>Thanks anyway for all who read and gave it some thought! Maybe now it
    >>will help someone else too. (Still curious whether it's possible to
    >>change the keyboard combo in Linux. As the most configurable OS I know
    >>it would surprise me if it isn't possible)

    > Of course it's possible, though I'm not sure how to do it in X. The
    > keyboard settings in X is a quite different story from the keyboard
    > settings in the console. (I did this in the console while using the
    > "happy hacker"-keyboard once - the happy hacker comes without F-keys,
    > and pressing alt+fn+1 was just too much hazzle, so I remapped it to
    > just the F-keys without alt).
    >
    > It's also nice to be aware of the command line version, chvt(1)
    > (eventually switchto(1) in some operating systems / distributions).
    >
    > (is Schraalhans Keukenmeester your real name? To me it sounds like a
    > very noisy, a bit drunken guy - most probably German, except it should
    > probably be "meister" instead of "meester" then ;-)

    Hi Tobias, thanks for the pointers. Will def have a looksee.

    No Schraalhans is not my real name. Schraalhans Keukenmeester is a
    'proverbial' name in Dutch, used to describe a situation of utter
    scarcity. For instance, during winter 1944, the worst winter in the war
    for most Dutch, many died of malnutrition, Schraalhans Keukenmeester was
    said to rule.
    Keuken means kitchen, meester in this context would translate to chef I
    guess. Schraal is closely related to scarce, or poor. Hans of course is
    just a name.

    I was amazed to find the first part of this typical Dutch 'name' was
    still available as a handle on hotmail, so I took that as well.

    All that said, I can be found drunk sometimes, but when I am noisy
    doesn't really apply. More: hippiestyle in love with all the world, with
    a talent for scoring birds less fortunate in the looks department.

    Rgds
    Schraalhans ;-)

  5. Re: Switching Consoles

    [Tobias Brox]
    > Keuken means kitchen, meester in this context would translate to chef I
    > guess. Schraal is closely related to scarce, or poor. Hans of course is
    > just a name.

    Ah, very different. In Norwegian, "Skråle" could be a verb for only
    talking bull**** ("Skraale" in ASCII), and "Kauke" could be a verb for
    yelling or talking laudly, so "Skrålhans Kaukemester" would be a drunk
    German ;-) When thinking of it, "Skral" is like weak or meager, and I
    think I've heard "Skralhans" beeing used for a poor situation, though
    never "Skralhans Kjøkkenmester" :-)

    --
    Tobias Brox

+ Reply to Thread