usb hub & multi-card reader - Linux

This is a discussion on usb hub & multi-card reader - Linux ; I want to expand my laptop a bit, but am unsure of Linux compatibility. I want to add a usb hub and a multi-card reader. I assume the hub is not a software issue so should run ok under Linux? ...

  1. usb hub & multi-card reader

    I want to expand my laptop a bit, but am unsure of Linux compatibility. I
    want to add a usb hub and a multi-card reader. I assume the hub is not a
    software issue so should run ok under Linux?

    The multi-card reader I really know nothing about. I see lots of them
    around for $25 or so in Superstore, but am not sure what the difference is.

    Are these driver specific devices? Anyone have any luck with these devices
    under Linux?

    I am running Debian on my laptop (kernel 2.4) and will be running Mandrake
    10.1 on one of my pc's and possibly Ubantu linux on another.

    Comments? Suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. Re: usb hub & multi-card reader

    John Hanley enlightened us with:
    > I want to expand my laptop a bit, but am unsure of Linux
    > compatibility. I want to add a usb hub and a multi-card reader.

    Ok.

    > I assume the hub is not a software issue so should run ok under
    > Linux?

    You're asking us wether you're assuming something?

    > Are these driver specific devices?

    Most of them aren't.

    > Anyone have any luck with these devices under Linux?

    I have an Adaptech lots-in-1 USB cardreader, which works fine in Linux
    2.6.

    > I am running Debian on my laptop (kernel 2.4) and will be running
    > Mandrake 10.1 on one of my pc's and possibly Ubantu linux on
    > another.

    I'd go for kernel 2.6

    Sybren

  3. Re: usb hub & multi-card reader

    John Hanley wrote:
    > I want to expand my laptop a bit, but am unsure of Linux compatibility. I
    > want to add a usb hub and a multi-card reader. I assume the hub is not a
    > software issue so should run ok under Linux?
    >
    > The multi-card reader I really know nothing about. I see lots of them
    > around for $25 or so in Superstore, but am not sure what the difference is.
    >
    > Are these driver specific devices? Anyone have any luck with these devices
    > under Linux?
    >
    > I am running Debian on my laptop (kernel 2.4) and will be running Mandrake
    > 10.1 on one of my pc's and possibly Ubantu linux on another.
    >
    > Comments? Suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!

    I bought a multicard reader in Vietnam. It is USB 2.0 based and plugs
    into all of my Linux machines without a hitch. Of course, I have only
    had to use it for flash memory card and Ultraflash for my digital cameras.

    As an aside, I think that $25 is way too much. I paid 10 bucks.

+ Reply to Thread