problems with login - Linux

This is a discussion on problems with login - Linux ; My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back. ...

  1. problems with login

    My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things
    will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back. Is this a common
    thing?
    Thanks

    Digi
    --
    Don't read everything you believe.

  2. Re: problems with login

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:06:46 -0800, Digi thoughtfully wrote:

    > My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    > will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login
    > things will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back. Is this
    > a common thing?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Digi

    Very unusual. See if ' shutdown -Fr now' corrects the problem.
    Otherwise you have a problem installation or bad memory? Memtest86 your
    brother's pc.

  3. Re: problems with login

    In article <87d5wr157t.fsf@hiro.homelinux.net>, Digi wrote:

    >My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    >will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things
    >will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back.

    "login will stop working"... WTF is that supposed to mean? What are the
    exact circumstances? What is the error message you get? What else are you
    doing to the system (that is causing this problem).

    >Is this a common thing?

    No. You are doing _something_ wrong, but there isn't enough details to say
    what it might be.

    Old guy

  4. Re: problems with login

    Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:06:46 -0800Digiд

    > My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    > will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things
    > will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back. Is this a common
    > thing?
    > Thanks
    >
    > Digi

    have you seen syslog? may be you can find something there

  5. Re: problems with login

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > In article <87d5wr157t.fsf@hiro.homelinux.net>, Digi wrote:
    >

    >>My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    >>will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things
    >>will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back.

    > "login will stop working"... WTF is that supposed to mean? What are the
    > exact circumstances? What is the error message you get? What else are you
    > doing to the system (that is causing this problem).
    >

    >>Is this a common thing?

    > No. You are doing _something_ wrong, but there isn't enough details to say
    > what it might be.
    >
    > Old guy

    Exactly this type of reply topped the user survey response we held in my
    former company asking users about their IT support satisfaction under
    'what is your nr one annoyance with IT support ?'.

    While often there may indeed be something a pc user unknowingly does or
    doesn't do at the root of many an issue, saying 'you are doing things
    wrong' isn't considered very helpful.

    Besides, you have not got enough details to make this statement with
    certainty. Who knows, some software or hardware issue may actually be at
    fault. Don't think because 99 times it was a user fault, the 100th one
    will automatically be one as well.

    I do agree with you we have little detail from OP, and I haven't got a
    clue either what is wrong with his/her system. More information could
    perhaps help.

    Schraalhans

  6. Re: problems with login

    Den Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:06:46 -0800. skrev Digi:
    > My brother is running Debian testing on his new PC. Every so often, login
    > will stop working. If we boot into a rescue mode and reinstall login things
    > will be fine for a while, but then the problem comes back. Is this a common
    > thing?
    > Thanks
    > Digi

    I had an issue on (Debian-based) Ubuntu; when I had to use certain
    KDE-based programs (K3B and others - I don't remember) on Gnome, it
    screwed up the .Xauthority file, and I had to log into terminal and delete
    ..Xauthority before the system was accessible again.
    Could this be the issue? I believe there is a workaround on
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org.

    Yours,
    MJJ

  7. Re: problems with login

    In article <41d759fb$0$6212$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl>,
    Schraalhans Keukenmeester wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:
    >> In article <87d5wr157t.fsf@hiro.homelinux.net>, Digi wrote:

    >> "login will stop working"... WTF is that supposed to mean? What are the
    >> exact circumstances? What is the error message you get? What else are you
    >> doing to the system (that is causing this problem).

    Did you miss this part?

    >Exactly this type of reply topped the user survey response we held in my
    >former company asking users about their IT support satisfaction under
    >'what is your nr one annoyance with IT support ?'.

    And do you know what the number one complaint is _in_ IT support? I mean
    other than the users who send a 13 megabyte file containing a picture of
    a three word error message. Or do your users report something more than
    "the internet is broken, and I didn't change anything that might break it"?

    >While often there may indeed be something a pc user unknowingly does or
    >doesn't do at the root of many an issue, saying 'you are doing things
    >wrong' isn't considered very helpful.

    Oh, so you think that Debian manages to dink with the login program so that
    it works only sometimes? An "reinstalling" corrects it? Or that a hardware
    failure only affects /bin/login?

    >Besides, you have not got enough details to make this statement with
    >certainty.

    See above

    >Who knows, some software or hardware issue may actually be at fault. Don't
    >think because 99 times it was a user fault, the 100th one will automatically
    >be one as well.

    Do you have any clue how computers run tested programs?

    >I do agree with you we have little detail from OP, and I haven't got a
    >clue either what is wrong with his/her system. More information could
    >perhaps help.

    WTF do you think I asked for?

    >Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:19:01 +0100

    I think you need some sleep. Or something.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread