Which Charset in PuTTY ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Which Charset in PuTTY ? - Linux ; I have a SSH connection to my Linux (SuSE9.2) box for administration. Standard PuTTY uses ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) as character set. This works fine for almost all output on the console, even the linechars display correctly. Just all the ...

  1. Which Charset in PuTTY ?

    I have a SSH connection to my Linux (SuSE9.2) box for administration.
    Standard PuTTY uses ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) as character
    set. This works fine for almost all output on the console, even the
    linechars display correctly. Just all the -- used in for instance
    manpages will display as a with ^ on top (). If I type a - myself it
    displays correctly though.

    I tried a few other charsets in PuTTy, closest was UTF-8, but then the
    linechars are a mess again.

    Any idea how I can
    a) find which charset my linux box uses for terminal output ?
    b) how I can match the charset if none of the PuTTY ones fully match the
    one SuSE uses ? (or can I best try changing the charset on the linux
    box instead ?)

    TIA
    Schraalhans

  2. Re: Which Charset in PuTTY ?

    Up spake Schraalhans Keukenmeester:
    > Any idea how I can
    > a) find which charset my linux box uses for terminal output ?
    > b) how I can match the charset if none of the PuTTY ones fully match the
    > one SuSE uses ? (or can I best try changing the charset on the linux
    > box instead ?)

    Isn't this the LC_ALL or LOCALE environment variable (or similar)? Use
    the builtin command `set' to list all variables.

    Note that some systems cache generated man pages (catpages), so they may
    still display wrong. I don't know enough about locales to be
    authoritative.

    I generally set my locale to "C", which means `just ASCII, dammit!'

    --
    -trent
    The steady state of disks is full. -- Ken Thompson

  3. Re: Which Charset in PuTTY ?

    Schraalhans Keukenmeester enlightened us with:
    > I tried a few other charsets in PuTTy, closest was UTF-8, but then
    > the linechars are a mess again.

    The best thing I can suggest is to use UTF-8 for everything. Set your
    LANG environment variable to a UTF-8 one. I use en_GB.UTF-8 for
    instance. Use "locale -a" to list all of the installed locales.

    Then it depends a little on the applications you're using. I use Mutt
    and VIM a lot, for which I have to set:

    "set charset=utf-8" in .muttrc
    "set encoding=utf-8" in .vimrc

    Sybren

  4. Re: Which Charset in PuTTY ?

    Trent Buck wrote:
    > Up spake Schraalhans Keukenmeester:
    >
    >>Any idea how I can
    >>a) find which charset my linux box uses for terminal output ?
    >>b) how I can match the charset if none of the PuTTY ones fully match the
    >> one SuSE uses ? (or can I best try changing the charset on the linux
    >>box instead ?)

    > Isn't this the LC_ALL or LOCALE environment variable (or similar)? Use
    > the builtin command `set' to list all variables.
    >
    > Note that some systems cache generated man pages (catpages), so they may
    > still display wrong. I don't know enough about locales to be
    > authoritative.
    >
    > I generally set my locale to "C", which means `just ASCII, dammit!'

    set | grep 'lc' gives me: LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

    If I look at locale I see LANG and LC_ALL aren't set.
    I tried different settings in PuTTY, where none displays all perfectly.
    For plain text UTF-8 comes closest (figures), but the linedrawing is
    horrible. I tried using the 'use poor man's line drawing + - etc' but to
    no avail.

    I think I will stick with ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) then,
    the linechars are more important to me than just the hyphen. Usually
    it's clear when a hyphen was meant.

    Still a pity I can't fix it completely. I may try the 'C' type, or plain
    ASCII after all, only PuTTY offers only VSCII, not sure if that will match.

    Thanks for replying guys!
    Schraalhans.

  5. Re: Which Charset in PuTTY ?

    Up spake Schraalhans Keukenmeester:
    > Still a pity I can't fix it completely. I may try the 'C' type, or plain
    > ASCII after all, only PuTTY offers only VSCII, not sure if that will match.

    VSCII is ASCII with Vietnamese charachters in the top half, IIUC.

    Setting putty to 8859-1 and your shell to C should work fine, since
    8859-1 is an extension of ASCII.

    I think if you simply *un*set all locale-related variables you will get
    a `C' locale, but that may just be because my system defaults to `C'.

    --
    -trent
    I got to taste pre-mixed coca-cola concentrate from McDonalds!

+ Reply to Thread