Re: Setup multi-boot system - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: Setup multi-boot system - Linux ; Steve Greenfield wrote: > I want to install Windows XP, Windows 2000, and the following Linux > systems on my Dell: > Redhat Enterprise 3.0 WS > Fedora Core 2 > Fedora Core 3 > Redhat Enterprise 3.0 AS > ...

  1. Re: Setup multi-boot system

    Steve Greenfield wrote:
    > I want to install Windows XP, Windows 2000, and the following Linux
    > systems on my Dell:
    > Redhat Enterprise 3.0 WS
    > Fedora Core 2
    > Fedora Core 3
    > Redhat Enterprise 3.0 AS

    Best advice is to forget it.
    Use one of the Open-Source Unix systems such as FreeBSD instead.
    Or use Macintosh if you want a commercial form of Unix,
    Your life will be *MUCH* easier.

    I have just spent a week trying to get the Fedora-3 distribution to boot;
    first I gave it a 120G SATA drive of its own; after 5 re-installations of
    Fedora it STILL could not boot after the
    "installation completed successfully".
    Yesterday I gave it a old 40G IDE drive for the Fedora to install into;
    again it completes and states it's installed successfully;
    and again it is unable to boot afterwards. By 6 a.m. this morning I'd
    gotten to the 11th re-installation of Fedora to this 40Gig drive, but it's
    still unbootable.

    - Only God knows what the Redhat people believe a "successfull"
    installation means;
    I've always found with every other operation systems (Dos, Solaria, Sco,
    OS/2, *BSD, BeOS, MacOS, MacOSX) that it meant it could boot by itself
    instead of just dumping a MBR message to screen about there being no
    operating system on that drive.

    You re-write the MBR to give the Linux installer a hand and point the MBR
    to each of the Linux partitions, still no boot.

  2. Re: Setup multi-boot system

    On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:16:20 +1100, Daeron wrote:

    >Steve Greenfield wrote:
    >> I want to install Windows XP, Windows 2000, and the following Linux
    >> systems on my Dell:
    >> Redhat Enterprise 3.0 WS
    >> Fedora Core 2
    >> Fedora Core 3
    >> Redhat Enterprise 3.0 AS
    >>

    > Best advice is to forget it.
    > Use one of the Open-Source Unix systems such as FreeBSD instead.
    > Or use Macintosh if you want a commercial form of Unix,
    > Your life will be *MUCH* easier.
    >
    > I have just spent a week trying to get the Fedora-3 distribution to boot;
    > first I gave it a 120G SATA drive of its own; after 5 re-installations of
    >Fedora it STILL could not boot after the
    > "installation completed successfully".
    > Yesterday I gave it a old 40G IDE drive for the Fedora to install into;
    > again it completes and states it's installed successfully;
    > and again it is unable to boot afterwards. By 6 a.m. this morning I'd
    >gotten to the 11th re-installation of Fedora to this 40Gig drive, but it's
    >still unbootable.
    >
    > - Only God knows what the Redhat people believe a "successfull"
    >installation means;
    > I've always found with every other operation systems (Dos, Solaria, Sco,
    >OS/2, *BSD, BeOS, MacOS, MacOSX) that it meant it could boot by itself
    >instead of just dumping a MBR message to screen about there being no
    >operating system on that drive.
    >
    > You re-write the MBR to give the Linux installer a hand and point the MBR
    >to each of the Linux partitions, still no boot.

    After reading your own posts about loading FC3 and requests for help,
    I'm amazed you would even attempt to "help???????" anyone. Oh, your
    post wasn't to help......rather to whine to someone, who is asking a
    legit question, about your own inabilities and foibles.

    I'm running WinXP, Win2000 Pro, FC3, and SUSE 9.1 spread over two 160
    gig SATA drives and I don't have the issues you are
    experiencing.....and I'm a relative Newbie

    Reading the responses you have received so far on your own post leads
    me to believe your problem is the user and not the OS.

    Buck

  3. Re: Setup multi-boot system

    Up spake Buck Rogers:
    > I'm running WinXP, Win2000 Pro, FC3, and SUSE 9.1 spread over two 160
    > gig SATA drives and I don't have the issues you are
    > experiencing.....and I'm a relative Newbie

    One data point does not constitute proof-by-enumeration.

    Consider: two PCI wireless cards -- of *exactly* the same vendor and
    model -- can use different chipsets, only one of which is supported
    under linux *at all*. I could have two identical-looking machines
    sitting side by side and have one work perfectly and the other not even
    detect the card.

    The OPs post wasn't particularly objective, but attacking him apropos of
    nothing seems a little... overenthusiastic. He was good enough to
    attempt to answer a question before asking one himself, which IMO is
    commendable etiquette.

    Incidentally, your claim that Daeron's errors are PEBCAK are probably
    unfounded. It can be a ****ing nightmare to get bootstrap stuff working
    when it doesn't Just Work, and he sounds like he (mostly) knows what
    he's doing.

    --
    -trent
    At some point, you're going to have to stop inventing data that might

  4. Re: Setup multi-boot system

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 02:17:26 GMT, Trent Buck
    wrote:

    >The OPs post wasn't particularly objective, but attacking him apropos of
    >nothing seems a little... overenthusiastic.

    Agreed

    >He was good enough to attempt to answer a question before asking one
    >himself, which IMO is commendable etiquette.

    I didn't see it that way.....could be wrong.

    >Incidentally, your claim that Daeron's errors are PEBCAK are probably
    >unfounded. It can be a ****ing nightmare to get bootstrap stuff working
    >when it doesn't Just Work, and he sounds like he (mostly) knows what
    >he's doing.

    Agreed.

    Buck