Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro? - Linux

This is a discussion on Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro? - Linux ; Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

  1. Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    so I'm looking to switch to another distro.

    A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    set up.

    I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    images or whatever?)

    Thanks very much in advance.

    -Scott

  2. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.]
    On 2004-12-29, Scott Smith wrote:
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)

    I personally prefer Debian.

    Official CDs: http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
    Network installations: http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

    I find it very easy to install and very user friendly and can has some
    features that have kept me with it for a long time. There are plenty of
    other opinions out there and there aren't to many bad distros out there
    (There are a few!).

    --
    "Saying your OS is the best in the world 'cause more people use it is like
    saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world."

  3. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    In alt.linux, Scott Smith uttered these immortal words:

    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that
    > is friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the
    > CD images or whatever?)

    ATM I like Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora Core 3 although FC3 does seem to cause
    some people some trouble on some hardware.

    http://www.distrowatch.com for URLs to the homepages and much more.

    --
    Andy.

  4. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    I would actually reccomend checking out Slackware. I used Fedora Core
    for quite while. I must say that Slackware is easier in some respects to
    use than FC, despite the fact that many Linux users call FC a
    "beginner's distro." Many of the headaches you have with an RPM-based
    distro are gone. Installing new packages is really easy with great tools
    such as pkgtool. Installing Slackware took me 20 minutes on a relatively
    slow computer. Most of the configuration was done. If you don't mind
    editing text files for a little bit of configuration then I strongly
    reccomend Slackware. It doesn't come with too many graphical
    configuration tools, though. It has many nice packages it comes with,
    and you also get a huge array of choices of which desktop you want to use.

  5. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

    Normally, you purchase 'SuSE Linux Professional' from your
    nearest computer store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc) for $89 US.
    It includes 2 printed manuals, 2 dual-layer DVD's, and 5
    CD's. The Install DVD (DVD 1) contains the entire distro
    (Linux and 1000+ apps). DVD 2 contains all of the sources.
    The 5 CD's contain a 'reduced' version of the distro (not
    as many apps) for those folks who can't boot from a DVD.

    As of SuSE Pro v9.2 (the current version), SuSE no longer
    provides downloadable ISO files for the entire distro.

    Regards,
    Larry

  6. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Larry I Smith wrote:
    > Scott Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r
    >> box at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on
    >> it. About a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for
    >> weekend users like me, so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >>
    >> A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had
    >> trouble figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and
    >> was easy to set up.
    >>
    >> I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro
    >> that is friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point
    >> me to the CD images or whatever?)
    >>
    >> Thanks very much in advance.
    >>
    >> -Scott
    >>

    > Normally, you purchase 'SuSE Linux Professional' from your
    > nearest computer store (Best Buy, Fry's, etc) for $89 US.
    > It includes 2 printed manuals, 2 dual-layer DVD's, and 5
    > CD's. The Install DVD (DVD 1) contains the entire distro
    > (Linux and 1000+ apps). DVD 2 contains all of the sources.
    > The 5 CD's contain a 'reduced' version of the distro (not
    > as many apps) for those folks who can't boot from a DVD.
    >
    > As of SuSE Pro v9.2 (the current version), SuSE no longer
    > provides downloadable ISO files for the entire distro.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Larry

    You can also buy it here, and have it delivered.

    http://www.novell.com/products/linux...l/pricing.html

    Regards,
    Larry

  7. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:02 GMT, "Scott Smith"
    wrote:

    >Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    >at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    >a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    >so I'm looking to switch to another distro.

    RH stuffed not only home users but also those with paid subscriptions.

    Imagine, you have racks of 1U servers all running RH, all with up to
    date subscriptions. Suddenly RH announce that they are no longer going
    to support you *unless* you "upgrade" all your servers to RH
    Enterprise and also pay them a large sum of money annually.

    A sum which they could not quantify for me when I rang them! I asked
    the simple question "I have x servers running RH. How much would it
    cost me if I were to change to RHE?" They also could not tell me what
    the benefits were of using RHE over RH. It seemed to revolve around
    the support issue, but I'd only ever called them once, and that was
    the call about conversion to RHE! So support is not an issue.

    So Debian wins a convert. That's what I'd recommend over any DeadRat
    variant.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

  8. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:02 +0000, Scott Smith wrote:

    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)

    To each his own! No matter what anyone says, someone else will have a
    counter-argument.

    I run RedHat ES3 and SuSE SLES9 for business. For personal use I usually
    use Fedora FC3 and SuSE Pro 9.2. I also have considerable respect for
    Mandrake, Debian and Knoppix for different uses, having used all of those
    as well. I order SuSE Pro from from SuSE/Novell's Digital River site at
    http://www.novell.com/products/linux...l/pricing.html)

    For teaching & testing environments I generally use the free RedHat RHEL3
    clones WhiteBx Linux and Tao Linux, especialy since they emulate /
    duplicate the RHEL and provide updates. This gives a very good indication
    of what RHEL will do when it's rolled out in paid-form. The ISOs are at
    http://whiteboxlinux.org/ or http://www.taolinux.org/

    Consider doing some needs analysis (eg: why do you want Linux, what
    are you trying to accomplish) and some additional research on the
    different distros (based on your analysis) possibly using the list
    at http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html

    You can always go to http://www.linuxiso.org/ to get other free CD images.

    Sadly, the majority of people reading this will likely go striaght
    to download and will forget the analysis.

    lol/FGB

  9. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:02 +0000, Scott Smith wrote:

    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

    If you want to stick with Redhat then go with Fedora Core 3. Fedora is
    Redhat's free distribution. Fedora is a developement platform so it can
    get broken every now and then, however I've found it to be quite usable.
    Another Redhat alternative is to use Whitebox Linux which is a Redhat
    Enterprise Linux clone with the logos removed (the logos are the only
    thing that's copyrighted in Redhat). The best alternative is to use
    Mandrake 10.1. Mandrake started life as Redhat plus but it's moved way
    beyond that now. Because of it's history you'll find that Mandrake
    feel familiar to a Redhat user. The configuration and installer tools in
    Mandrake are a little better than Redhat's. You can download the ISOs for
    any of these. I'd forget SUSE, there is nothing wrong with it as a
    distribution but they don't make it easy to install it for free. SUSE
    doesn't provide free ISOs, they require a net install (at least they did
    the last time I tried it).

  10. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

    Mepis.com

    William

  11. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    William wrote:
    > Scott Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r
    >> box at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on
    >> it. About a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for
    >> weekend users like me, so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >>
    >> A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had
    >> trouble figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and
    >> was easy to set up.
    >>
    >> I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro
    >> that is friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point
    >> me to the CD images or whatever?)
    >>
    >> Thanks very much in advance.
    >>
    >> -Scott
    >>

    > Mepis.com
    >
    > William

    As someone else said: to each his own. If you want Linux just to have it
    and have no requirements for an enterprise version (you would have that
    requirement if you wanted to run Oracle AS 10G, for example), I'd go
    with SuSE. It is much less weird to administer than Redhat, it gives you
    a reasonable choice of GUI as Novell have not yet invented their version
    of 'Blue Curve'. I also find it more hardware tolerant.

    Alas, Beauty and everything else is in the eyes of the beholder..

  12. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.

    I'd say SUSE was one of the best Linux distros I've ever used... was
    great at detecting many things straight out of the box...

    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)

    If you're lazy (like me), I'd say giving Gentoo ( http://www.gentoo.org/
    ) a go. You'll only go through the pain of installing once, and then
    you'll be incrementally upgrading bit by bit... the only problem is that
    you'll have to compile a lot (which takes time on slow systems), and
    you'll have to compile your own kernel (not so bad if you choose the
    defaults, or if you've had experience in it before).

    I hear absolutely great things about Ubuntu (
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ ) but I have no experience with them excpt
    to see an installation occur.

    Out of the three distros I've mentioned here, I would suggest giving
    Ubuntu a go, as it provides a great system, based on Debian, and will
    probably offer you an experience that's similar to the one you're used to...

    ....Ric
    --
    Send email to Ric using: rdefrance_NO_SPAM_@_NO_SPAM_gmail.com
    Just remove both instances of "_NO_SPAM_"

  13. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    While stranded on the hard shoulder of the information super highway scottseansmith2_NO_SPAM@NO-SPAM.hotmail.com typed:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)

    I've just upgraded my box from RH7.1 to FC3 with hardly any effort.
    It did rearrange my desktops a bit but pretty well everything just works.
    The only thing I'm having grief with is playing videos. The xmms as
    shipped doesn't handle MP3's (err why?) and the xine that I downloaded
    gobbles up all the cpu and swap space about 10 seconds into an MP3 and
    the box sits there thrashing. It's BRS time. I've tried recompiling xine
    but it won't, complaining somethings aren't installed (SDL and ARTS which
    they are). But playing videos is something I rarely do, so I don' care.
    On the other hand, I've just installed FC3 on a desktop box at work,
    downloaded the same xine and it handles videos perfectly. The user for
    whom this is destined is going to love using Linux in preference to M$.
    (She is the prototype for what is hoped to be all of the staff moving
    to Linux on the desktop - we are making sure everything is 100%).

    Some people love SuSE. I tried 8.1 when it first came out but I found
    YAST to be a complete waste of time; fine for installing anything but
    if you want to change the config on say your modem, you had to uninstall
    the device and reinstall it (ie there was no change facility)
    I also wasn't impressed with some of the dependancies. SuSE
    insisted on installing K3B and if you delete it and then want to install
    something else from the CD's, K3B comes back. It also runs KBEAR
    constantly - why run an FTP client unless you are downloading a file.
    I like as little running on my box as possible - remember an idle box is
    a happy box.

    In the recent LinxFormat distro rating, the top five were Mandrake,
    RedHat, SuSE, Debian and Yellow Dog. As someone else suggested, pick
    an rpm distro and go with that.

    --
    Trog Woolley | trog at trogwoolley dot com
    (A Croweater back residing in Pommie Land with Linux)

  14. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:02 +0000, Scott Smith wrote:

    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.

    SuSE does not have iso images of it's pro distribution, however, you can
    do an ftp install. You download a small iso, burn, boot and follow
    instructions to get the install going from the internet. It has taken me
    about 3 hours over a DSL connection in the past.

    www.distrowatch.com

    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

  15. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    ray wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:33:02 +0000, Scott Smith wrote:
    >

    >>Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    >>at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    >>a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    >>so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >>
    >>A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    >>figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    >>set up.

    > SuSE does not have iso images of it's pro distribution, however, you can
    > do an ftp install. You download a small iso, burn, boot and follow
    > instructions to get the install going from the internet. It has taken me
    > about 3 hours over a DSL connection in the past.

    That's no longer true for the current version (9.2).
    SuSE Pro v9.1 was the last version to support the procedure
    you described. Starting with 9.2, you can download a small
    ISO that you can boot from, connect to another machine THAT
    HAS THE RETAIL SUSE DVD MOUNTED/SHARED, and install from the
    DVD mounted on that other machine.

    >>I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro
    >>that is friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me
    >>to the CD images or whatever?)

    > www.distrowatch.com
    >

    >>Thanks very much in advance.
    >>
    >>-Scott

    Larry

  16. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

  17. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Dave Bush wrote:

    > Scott Smith wrote:
    >> I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro
    >> that is friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point
    >> me to the CD images or whatever?)

    > If you want to stick with an RPM based distro then I'd recommend
    > Mandrake. Very user friendly, and you can find the ISO's at
    > http://www.linuxiso.org/.
    >
    > If you're interested in something easier to keep up to date you could
    > go with Debian. A lot of people will tell you it's difficult to
    > install, but that's because they haven't tried the new installer. Go
    > to http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ and grab it from
    > there. Piece of cake to install.
    >
    > - Dave

    Mandrake has an update utility as part of its Mandrake Control Center,
    clicking on it the first time gives you a choice of update mirrors then
    presents a list of updates for security, bugfix and normal updates.
    Select any of all of the update packages and they install themselves.
    Subsequent accesses simply use the selected mirror. Updating can't get
    any simpler.
    Adding packages from the mandrake main and contrib mirrors is just as
    easy.

    Clive

  18. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:43:56 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:

    >> As of SuSE Pro v9.2 (the current version), SuSE no longer provides
    >> downloadable ISO files for the entire distro.

    > You can also buy it here, and have it delivered.
    >
    > http://www.novell.com/products/linux...l/pricing.html

    Any recommendations on how to (or whether to) upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2?
    I'm looking forward to the improved wireless support of my laptop, but I'm
    not sure what the consequences will be if I just slap a new CD in it...

  19. SuSE upgrade + wireless support

    Up spake Scott Wertz:
    > Any recommendations on how to (or whether to) upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2?
    > I'm looking forward to the improved wireless support of my laptop, but I'm
    > not sure what the consequences will be if I just slap a new CD in it...

    First of all, you'll need to know what chipset the wireless card uses.
    If a linux driver hasn't been reverse-engineered for it, then upgrading
    SuSE won't make any difference.

    Presumably the wireless card is CardBus (PCMCIA). I don't know how to
    probe that. If it's built-in, it's probably on the PCI bus. Use lspci
    to probe for PCI devices.

    --
    -trent
    The only truly safe `embedded system' is the system that has an axe

  20. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Wertz wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 22:43:56 +0000, Larry I Smith wrote:
    >

    >>>As of SuSE Pro v9.2 (the current version), SuSE no longer provides
    >>>downloadable ISO files for the entire distro.

    >>You can also buy it here, and have it delivered.
    >>
    >>http://www.novell.com/products/linux...l/pricing.html
    >>

    > Any recommendations on how to (or whether to) upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2?
    > I'm looking forward to the improved wireless support of my laptop, but I'm
    > not sure what the consequences will be if I just slap a new CD in it...

    SuSE does sell an 'upgrade' package on their web site at a lower
    cost than the full distribution. I have no idea what might be missing
    (other than the 9.2 printed manuals) from their 'upgrade' package.
    I always just go to Fry's or BestBuy and buy the full Pro version
    (with DVD's and printed manuals).

    I've never done an 'upgrade'. The SuSE install DVD menu has that as
    one of the install options (upgrade an existing installation), but
    I've never used it. I keep the system files on a separate partition
    from everything else; so, I always format that partition and install
    the new version 'clean'.

    Going from SuSE 9.1 to 9.2 the user and group number ranges changed.
    So after the install is finished, login as root, recreate the original
    user id's, then do 'chown -R' on each of the pre-existing home dirs to
    correct the owner/group id numbers.

    Regardless of which install type (new or upgrade) you choose,
    BACK UP YOUR IMPORTANT DATA FIRST. You never know what might
    go wrong.

    Try the SuSE mailing lists (on their web site), or one of the
    SuSE newsgroups (alt.os.linux.suse) for additional details and
    support.

    Good Luck,
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast