Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro? - Linux

This is a discussion on Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro? - Linux ; Trent Buck wrote: > Up spake Scott Wertz: >> Any recommendations on how to (or whether to) upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2? >> I'm looking forward to the improved wireless support of my laptop, but >> I'm not sure what ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: SuSE upgrade + wireless support

    Trent Buck wrote:

    > Up spake Scott Wertz:
    >> Any recommendations on how to (or whether to) upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2?
    >> I'm looking forward to the improved wireless support of my laptop, but
    >> I'm not sure what the consequences will be if I just slap a new CD in
    >> it...

    > First of all, you'll need to know what chipset the wireless card uses.
    > If a linux driver hasn't been reverse-engineered for it, then upgrading
    > SuSE won't make any difference.
    >
    > Presumably the wireless card is CardBus (PCMCIA). I don't know how to
    > probe that. If it's built-in, it's probably on the PCI bus. Use lspci
    > to probe for PCI devices.

    David Everly wrote:
    I've recently upgraded from SuSe Pro 9.1 to SuSe Pro 9.2 on several
    computers, two of which are laptops and the wireless won't work out of the
    box. The vast majority of wireless cards on the market (especially 802.11g)
    don't work without a lot of configuring. I'm in the processes of
    configuring a Netgear WG511 (g) on my AMD64 laptop and it's a painstaking
    process. Linux is behind on true wireless functionality right out of the
    box. If I were you I wouldn't upgrade only for the wireless.

  2. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    I am using Debian Sarge (testing) on my laptop.
    It works great.

    WW

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

  3. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.

    If you like RedHat and don't want to relearn admin tools, I would suggest you
    stay with RedHat, the only differences today is that the "home user" RedHat is
    called Fedora, check fedora.redhat.com

    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.

    SuSe don't allow you to download the latest version of it untill a month or so
    after release, they want you to buy it. If you want to have easy to download
    links, then visit www.linuxiso.org

    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)

    RedHat/Fedora

    fedora.redhat.com

    x86_32: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...re/3/i386/iso/
    x86_64: http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu.../3/x86_64/iso/
    PPC: ftp://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yel....0-orion-*.iso

    Have fun...

    //Aho

  4. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    In Larry I Smith:

    [Snip...]

    > (other than the 9.2 printed manuals) from their 'upgrade' package.

    I used this (several versions back) and IIRC that's all that's missing in
    the upgrade compared to the full Pro shrinkwrap.

    If you're familiar with Linux installs, the manuals are nice, but missing
    them is not a showstopper, IMO. Might be worth saving a few bucks.

    (Not used shrinkwrap upgrade option lately--new installs seem "cleaner")

    > I always just go to Fry's or BestBuy and buy the full Pro version
    > (with DVD's and printed manuals).

    Be very careful which SuSE distro you pickup at BestBuy. Those clowns have
    a way of leaving older versions out for months after the latest version is
    shipped; make sure it's 9.2 and not 9.1 (caveat emptor).

    (I observed it over several stores/versions; I don't think it's innocent)

    Fry's always has the latest version (prominent) when I've looked.

    > one of the install options (upgrade an existing installation), but
    > I've never used it.

    I did a couple of years back, and it seemed more messy, especially when it
    started to span more than one version. As you noted, saving data and doing
    a "clean" install seems to avoid a lot of mysterious bugs, IME too.

    (Upgrade may be better now, but new install seems still to be the advice)

    > SuSE newsgroups (alt.os.linux.suse) for additional details and
    > support.

    Good suggestions; very helpful folks generally in aols, IMO.

  5. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Amol Vaidya wrote:

    > I would actually reccomend checking out Slackware. I used Fedora Core
    > for quite while. I must say that Slackware is easier in some respects to
    > use than FC, despite the fact that many Linux users call FC a
    > "beginner's distro." Many of the headaches you have with an RPM-based
    > distro are gone. Installing new packages is really easy with great tools
    > such as pkgtool. Installing Slackware took me 20 minutes on a relatively
    > slow computer. Most of the configuration was done. If you don't mind
    > editing text files for a little bit of configuration then I strongly
    > reccomend Slackware. It doesn't come with too many graphical
    > configuration tools, though. It has many nice packages it comes with,
    > and you also get a huge array of choices of which desktop you want to use.

    I second this... I was using slack few years back, than due to some
    circumstances, I was forced to go win-only (oh, agony).

    A year and a half back I switched back to linux with slack 9. After that I
    tried Mandrake 9.1, 10 and 10.1 and found that every new version had a few
    _more_ bugs than previous one. Then I tried Fedora 2 and since I never
    liked RH-ish distros I tried SuSE 9.2 - it was awfully slow. Tried ubuntu
    also, but on my system both APM and ACPI simply refused to work properly.

    So I am happily running Slackware 10 now
    Some may say it is hard for beginners, but I would say that it is pretty
    easy to use if you are not too lazy to use brain.

    One more thing on the positive side: it will force you to go under the hood
    and learn some stuff, so if you ever switch later to some of the more
    "user-friendly" distros you will see that you will not use any of that
    graphical setup tools - whatever new distro you get or try you will feel
    like at home.

    Excuse my poor english.

  6. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Scott Smith wrote:
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it. About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

    Why not go to Fedora Core?

  7. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    A Nengineer wrote:

    > Why not go to Fedora Core?

    Because FC1 was OK but had lots missing, FC2 was a mess and shouldn't have
    been released, and FC3 still misses out much of the useful multimedia stuff
    and assumes you want their "look and feel". Everyone I've known to install
    any version of FC has moved to Mandrake very soon afterward!

    Chris

    --
    Everything gets easier with practice, except getting up in the morning!

  8. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    Personally, I would say you should run what makes you happy. Forget tech
    support, there are enough users out there who are usually willing to help.

    If you are comfortable with RedHat, there's no reason you HAVE to change.
    If you decide to change, however, I'd say try a few distrobutions out and
    see what you think of them yourself. Enough people are around who will help
    talk you through the paces, that you can get up and running on a few
    disrobutions using the docs available from the internet.

    For what it's worth, that's my opinion.

    "Scott Smith" wrote in message
    > Some time back, I installed RedHat Linux on a Dell Dimension XPS T800r box
    > at home and set up CVS, Samba, Eclipse, and a few other things on it.

    About
    > a year later, RedHat stopped free updates/support for weekend users like

    me,
    > so I'm looking to switch to another distro.
    >
    > A friend at work recommended SuSE. I went to the web site, but had trouble
    > figuring out what to download. The RedHat stuff came on CD and was easy to
    > set up.
    >
    > I don't want to start a war here, but can someone recommend a distro that

    is
    > friendly to a non-power user such as myself? (and maybe point me to the CD
    > images or whatever?)
    >
    > Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > -Scott

  9. Re: Recommendations on switching from RedHat to new distro?

    On Monday 03 January 2005 19:19, .... wrote:

    > Personally, I would say you should run what makes you happy. Forget
    > tech support, there are enough users out there who are usually willing
    > to help.
    >
    > If you are comfortable with RedHat, there's no reason you HAVE to
    > change. If you decide to change, however, I'd say try a few
    > distrobutions out and
    > see what you think of them yourself. Enough people are around who
    > will help talk you through the paces, that you can get up and running
    > on a few disrobutions using the docs available from the internet.
    >
    > For what it's worth, that's my opinion.

    Fedora. It's supported by Red Hat, initially was Red Hat, open source,
    and free. Perfect for the non-power user. www.redhat.com/fedora

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group