FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !! - Linux

This is a discussion on FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !! - Linux ; Hi, I was working normally on my Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.681 (dual boot on Dell Inspiron 700m with Win XP) connected through VNC, and suddenly it got stuck at one point, I tried to connect through ssh and also ...

  1. FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !!

    Hi,

    I was working normally on my Fedora Core 3 kernel 2.6.9-1.681 (dual
    boot on Dell Inspiron 700m with Win XP) connected through VNC, and
    suddenly it got stuck at one point, I tried to connect through ssh and
    also tried some key combinations, but no avail. At last I had to power
    it off and when I turned it back on to boot Linux, I got following
    message:

    exec of init (/sbin/init) failed!!!: 2
    umount /initrd/dev failed: 2

    I tried to boot to my previous version of kernel that is 2.6.9-1.667,
    and got the same problem. My Win XP boot works fine. I tried to lookup
    the issue by googling around but didn't get any solid solution for this
    problem. I didn't have any hardware changes. Just installed a few
    updates from fedora-updates using up2date and one of the packages did
    not install correctly. I tried "linux rescue" from the dvd image of FC3
    which mounts my existing filesystem on /mnt/sysimage, but I am not able
    to run fsck from there, maybe not doing it correctly.

    Has anyone come across similar problem and/or has a solution for it? I
    will appreciate your help.

    Thank you,
    Sachin

  2. Re: FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !!

    shahsachin@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,

    > exec of init (/sbin/init) failed!!!: 2
    > umount /initrd/dev failed: 2
    > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

    i think this just means that either it couldn't find init or init is
    damaged somehow, in which case the easiest fix may be booting with the
    FC3 cd and reinstalling the SysVinit package should do the trick (i run
    FC2 but i'm assuming the package name hasn't changed) to fix things.

    > I tried to boot to my previous version of kernel that is 2.6.9-1.667,
    > and got the same problem. My Win XP boot works fine. I tried to lookup
    > the issue by googling around but didn't get any solid solution for this
    > problem. I didn't have any hardware changes. Just installed a few
    > updates from fedora-updates using up2date and one of the packages did
    > not install correctly. I tried "linux rescue" from the dvd image of FC3
    > which mounts my existing filesystem on /mnt/sysimage, but I am not able
    > to run fsck from there, maybe not doing it correctly.

    As you say, it is preferable to run an fsck on the filesystems to make
    sure any other damage is caught and corrected, does FC3 ask you on
    rescue if you want to mount the existing installation?
    If it does, tell it not to. When you get to the bash prompt, just
    e2fsck -p /dev/whatever on each of your partitions. Once that's complete
    mount the system (/mnt/sysimage) and dig out the cd with the required
    SysVinit package, then perform an rpm --root /mnt/sysimage -i
    SysVinit.blah.blah.rpm

    I'd suggest to you that you check out synaptic, you can get it from
    www.freshrpms.net I use it on my FC2 box and it's a pretty good front
    end to apt. When you get your system back up and running you can use it
    to check whether packages may be broken (it'll tell you.)

    > Has anyone come across similar problem and/or has a solution for it? I
    > will appreciate your help.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Sachin

    Hope this is of any help.

    Kind Regards.

  3. Re: FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !!

    Up spake aq:
    > I'd suggest to you that you check out synaptic, you can get it from
    > www.freshrpms.net I use it on my FC2 box and it's a pretty good front
    > end to apt. When you get your system back up and running you can use it
    > to check whether packages may be broken (it'll tell you.)

    FWIW, aptitude[0] seems to have more functionality and programmability
    than any other apt front-end I've tried (including synaptic). I don't
    think if it's available for RPM-flavoured distros yet :-(

    [0] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/aptitude
    --
    -trent
    The Web brings people together because no matter what kind of a twisted

  4. Re: FC3 - kernel panic.. please help !!

    Trent Buck wrote:
    > Up spake aq:
    >
    >>I'd suggest to you that you check out synaptic, you can get it from
    >>www.freshrpms.net I use it on my FC2 box and it's a pretty good front
    >>end to apt. When you get your system back up and running you can use it
    >>to check whether packages may be broken (it'll tell you.)

    > FWIW, aptitude[0] seems to have more functionality and programmability
    > than any other apt front-end I've tried (including synaptic). I don't
    > think if it's available for RPM-flavoured distros yet :-(
    >
    > [0] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/aptitude

    tee hee, synaptic has all of the function i need at the moment, getting
    to grips with other stuff is taking up all my time, like getting my
    favourite windows game to work with linux! tried cedega, crossover
    (didn't expect that one to work tho, really) and vmware... oh well, back
    to rebooting!

    One thing i've been meaning to get to grips with is rpmbuild. I've done
    way to many tgz builds to keep track of. If you're interested, check out
    : http://www.rpm.org/RPM-HOWTO/

    Kind Regards.

+ Reply to Thread