Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ? - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ? - Linux ; Mark Hobley wrote: > A friend of mine is helping to develop a website for me. > > He is a windows user, and has created the website using ASP > > How do I go about getting it running ...

  1. Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > A friend of mine is helping to develop a website for me.
    >
    > He is a windows user, and has created the website using ASP
    >
    > How do I go about getting it running on my Linux machine ?
    >
    > I only want to use open source tools. I don't want to splash out any
    > cash at this stage, in case it doesn't work at the end.
    >
    > I guess that I need Apache web server.
    >
    > I need to know what other stuff I'm going to need.
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

    Im not sure if mono does ASP, but give it a try: http://www.mono-project.com

  2. Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ?

    Jeff Singer wrote:
    > Mark Hobley wrote:
    >
    >> A friend of mine is helping to develop a website for me.
    >>
    >> He is a windows user, and has created the website using ASP
    >>
    >> How do I go about getting it running on my Linux machine ?

    Plain ASP? You can't. However, you _can_ do ASP.NET on Linux, but only
    if the language of the pages is done with C# and not VB (the DLL's can
    be created with whatever language you want).

    >> I only want to use open source tools. I don't want to splash out any
    >> cash at this stage, in case it doesn't work at the end.

    Not possible.

    Are you sure, though, that it uses ASP? Just because the extension is
    ASP doesn't mean that it is. A lot of web development tools just use
    server-side includes, but call them ASP pages, and Linux _can_ do server
    side includes.

    Jon
    ----
    Learn to program using Linux assembly language
    http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

  3. Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ?

    Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

    > Are you sure, though, that it uses ASP? Just because the extension is
    > ASP doesn't mean that it is. A lot of web development tools just use
    > server-side includes, but call them ASP pages, and Linux _can_ do server
    > side includes.

    He has developed it using vb.net.

    --

    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Reply to: markhobley at hotpop dot do_not_type_this_bit com

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: I've been given an ASP website. How do I host it on Linux ?

    Mark Hobley wrote:
    > Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
    >
    >>Are you sure, though, that it uses ASP? Just because the extension is
    >>ASP doesn't mean that it is. A lot of web development tools just use
    >>server-side includes, but call them ASP pages, and Linux _can_ do server
    >>side includes.

    > He has developed it using vb.net.

    Then he's using ASP.NET, not ASP (they are both VERY different). The
    DLL's should be usable, but the pages may have to be recoded in C#.
    However, I do think the mono team is going to come out with a VB
    implementation for their ASP.NET system soon, so you could just wait for
    that.

    The only real issue will be Database access, because it was probably
    written to SQL Server while you will probably want to use MySQL or
    preferably PostgreSQL.

    Jon
    ----
    Learn to program using Linux assembly language
    http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

+ Reply to Thread