Mark Hobley wrote:
> How to I prevent a package from installing on a Debian system?

I have created a configuration file /etc/apt/preferences as follows:

Package: base-passwd
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1

I want to lock out base-passwd from ever re-installing.

When I run dselect, it still shows base-passwd as destined for re-installation.

Is this because some packages still have dependencies on base-passwd?

Can I override the package database for the dependendants, tricking the package
database into thinking that the packages are not dependent on base-passwd?

How do I do this?

--
Mark Hobley
393 Quinton Road West