Problem with package manager under Fedora Core 5 - Linux

This is a discussion on Problem with package manager under Fedora Core 5 - Linux ; I have recently installed FC5 on my laptop. The install went perfectly. All the hardware is working fine. When I click on "Add/Remove Software" the package manager eventually displays an error emssage as follows : "Unable to retrieve software information" ...

  1. Problem with package manager under Fedora Core 5

    I have recently installed FC5 on my laptop.

    The install went perfectly. All the hardware is working fine.

    When I click on "Add/Remove Software" the package manager eventually
    displays an error emssage as follows :

    "Unable to retrieve software information"

    I should add that when I run the "rpm" command from the command line it
    lists almost 1000 installed packages.

    Does anyone have any ideas ? Would it help if I installed another
    package manager ?

    Thanks for all your help.

  2. Re: Problem with package manager under Fedora Core 5

    Comcast News wrote:
    > I have recently installed FC5 on my laptop.
    >
    > The install went perfectly. All the hardware is working fine.
    >
    > When I click on "Add/Remove Software" the package manager eventually
    > displays an error emssage as follows :
    >
    > "Unable to retrieve software information"
    >
    > I should add that when I run the "rpm" command from the command line it
    > lists almost 1000 installed packages.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas ? Would it help if I installed another
    > package manager ?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.

    It would help if you RTFMed.

    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...d.php?t=116178

    First google hit.

    -----yttrx

  3. Re: Problem with package manager under Fedora Core 5

    On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 17:42:27 -0400, Comcast News wrote:

    yum is the preferred RPM manager for FC5. I would do the following as root:

    yum install yumex

    Once that completes, run yumex. You'll be in a nice gui environment
    where you can install, update, or remove packages. For a fresh install,
    go to the update tab, select all, click add to queue, then go to the queue
    tab and click on the button to execute the queue. Take a nap, watch tv...
    this takes a while.

    Once up to date, check out rpm.livna.org. It is a nice repository to add.

    All of this assumes you are on the network and have a decent bandwidth
    (DSL, etc).

    Mike

    > I have recently installed FC5 on my laptop.
    >
    > The install went perfectly. All the hardware is working fine.
    >
    > When I click on "Add/Remove Software" the package manager eventually
    > displays an error emssage as follows :
    >
    > "Unable to retrieve software information"
    >
    > I should add that when I run the "rpm" command from the command line it
    > lists almost 1000 installed packages.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas ? Would it help if I installed another
    > package manager ?
    >
    > Thanks for all your help.

+ Reply to Thread