sendmail FC4->FC5 problem - Linux

This is a discussion on sendmail FC4->FC5 problem - Linux ; Hi. We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of ...

  1. sendmail FC4->FC5 problem

    Hi.

    We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of
    upgrading from FC4 to FC5.

    The following problem has been occurring on some (but not all) of the
    upgraded machines: mail sent to a local user is bouncing with a "550 User
    unknown" error msg.

    Some background:

    (1) MX records have been set up so that dsm.dsm.fordham.edu is the mail
    exchanger for dsm.fordham.edu.

    (2) dsm.dsm.fordham.edu's mail-spool is NFS-mounted on all Linux hosts
    in the dsm.fordham.edu domain.

    The symptoms:

    (1) If mail is sent to vader@dsm.fordham.edu from any of these machines,
    then it goes through.

    (2) If mail is sent to vader (as a local user) on *some* of the FC5
    machines, root gets an email msg from mailer-daemon
    procmail: Unknown user "vader"
    550 5.1.1 ... User unknown

    (3) Mail sent to vader (as a local user) on *some* of the FC5 machines and
    *all* of the FC4 machines goes through. The "To:" header is not
    "vader", but it's "vader@dsm.fordham.edu".

    If anybody has an explanation for why sendmail is having this problem on
    some (but not all) of our FC5 boxes, I would greatly appreciate knowing the
    reason for the problem, as well as the solution.

    Many thanks!!

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: sendmail FC4->FC5 problem

    On 23 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.admin, in article
    , Art Werschulz wrote:

    >We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    >OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    >GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes.

    Hardware is not relevant.

    >The following problem has been occurring on some (but not all) of the
    >upgraded machines: mail sent to a local user is bouncing with a "550 User
    >unknown" error msg.

    Compare the sendmail configuration files.

    >(2) If mail is sent to vader (as a local user) on *some* of the FC5
    > machines, root gets an email msg from mailer-daemon
    > procmail: Unknown user "vader"
    > 550 5.1.1 ... User unknown
    >
    >(3) Mail sent to vader (as a local user) on *some* of the FC5 machines and
    > *all* of the FC4 machines goes through. The "To:" header is not
    > "vader", but it's "vader@dsm.fordham.edu".

    which is different from "vader@deathstar.dsm.fordham.edu" OK - find out
    how the deathstar got in there.

    >If anybody has an explanation for why sendmail is having this problem on
    >some (but not all) of our FC5 boxes, I would greatly appreciate knowing the
    >reason for the problem, as well as the solution.

    It's configured differently. How? I dunno - I can't see your sendmail.cf
    or similar. If all else fails, try "comp.mail.sendmail", but I would
    STRONGLY urge you to read the FAQ at http://www.sendmail.org/faq/faq.txt
    before posting.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread