ypbind problem at boot - Linux

This is a discussion on ypbind problem at boot - Linux ; Hi. We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of ...

  1. ypbind problem at boot

    Hi.

    We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of
    upgrading from FC4 to FC5.

    We are having a ypbind-related problem with the Dell OptiFlex GX520. This
    problem had occurred when it was an FC4 machine, and it's still occurring
    as an FC5 machine. It is not occurring with any of our other machines.

    Booting for the Dell OptiFlex GX520 hangs for a while at the msg
    Listening for an NIS domain server
    After a bit of time, this times out, and the rest of the booting proceeds
    quasi-normally, with the (unsurprising) exception of autofs not
    automounting remote directories.

    Oddly enough, after the boot process, if I log in as root and issue the
    commands
    # service ypbind start
    # service autofs restart
    everything is OK. NIS now works, and the remote directories automount as
    expected.

    Does anybody have an explanation for this? That is, why would the machine
    (*) not be able to find its NIS server when booting, yet
    (*) be able to find its NIS server after booting?

    Even better, what can we do so that ypbind works properly when the system
    is booted, i.e., so that this machine can find its NIS server when booting?

    Many thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: ypbind problem at boot

    On 23 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.admin, in article
    , Art Werschulz wrote:

    >Booting for the Dell OptiFlex GX520 hangs for a while at the msg
    > Listening for an NIS domain server
    >After a bit of time, this times out, and the rest of the booting proceeds
    >quasi-normally, with the (unsurprising) exception of autofs not
    >automounting remote directories.
    >
    >Oddly enough, after the boot process, if I log in as root and issue the
    >commands
    > # service ypbind start
    > # service autofs restart
    >everything is OK. NIS now works, and the remote directories automount as
    >expected.

    Compare the configuration files - most likely /etc/sysconfig/network.
    Also compare the "file names" in the runlevel directory - remember that
    these scripts are run in the same order you would see if you issued an
    'ls -1 /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/' command. Are the names identical in a working and
    non-working system?
    A less common problem is a PATH difference. Remember that when you log in,
    you have a different PATH compared to that set by the init-scripts.

    >Does anybody have an explanation for this? That is, why would the machine
    >(*) not be able to find its NIS server when booting, yet
    >(*) be able to find its NIS server after booting?

    Obviously something is starting out of sequence.

    Another clue for you - "comp.os.linux.admin" is a bogus newsgroup only
    carried on mis-configured news servers, or those that claim to have more
    groups than anyone else. Try comp.os.linux.misc.

    Old guy

  3. Re: ypbind problem at boot

    Is your /etc/yp.conf file the same as a working system? How is your NIS
    setup?

    "Art Werschulz" wrote in message
    > Hi.
    >
    > We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    > OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    > GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of
    > upgrading from FC4 to FC5.
    >
    > We are having a ypbind-related problem with the Dell OptiFlex GX520. This
    > problem had occurred when it was an FC4 machine, and it's still occurring
    > as an FC5 machine. It is not occurring with any of our other machines.
    >
    > Booting for the Dell OptiFlex GX520 hangs for a while at the msg
    > Listening for an NIS domain server
    > After a bit of time, this times out, and the rest of the booting proceeds
    > quasi-normally, with the (unsurprising) exception of autofs not
    > automounting remote directories.
    >
    > Oddly enough, after the boot process, if I log in as root and issue the
    > commands
    > # service ypbind start
    > # service autofs restart
    > everything is OK. NIS now works, and the remote directories automount as
    > expected.
    >
    > Does anybody have an explanation for this? That is, why would the machine
    > (*) not be able to find its NIS server when booting, yet
    > (*) be able to find its NIS server after booting?
    >
    > Even better, what can we do so that ypbind works properly when the system
    > is booted, i.e., so that this machine can find its NIS server when
    > booting?
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    > GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?
    > Internet: agw STRUDEL cs.columbia.edu
    > ATTnet: Columbia U. (212) 939-7060, Fordham U. (212) 636-6325

+ Reply to Thread