installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries - Linux

This is a discussion on installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries - Linux ; I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to additionally install the 32-bit version of the xorg-x11-libs for some programs that are expecting the libXpm.so. Apparently the 64-bit version is already installed as /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4, and there does ...

  1. installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries

    I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to additionally
    install the 32-bit version of the xorg-x11-libs for some programs
    that are expecting the libXpm.so. Apparently the 64-bit version
    is already installed as /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4, and there does
    not seem to be any file link that would cause a problem if I were
    to install a file in /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.

    So is there an rpm incantation that will get me the 32-bit libraries?

  2. Re: installing both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries

    An Thu, 04 May 2006 04:13:18 +0000, Christopher C. Stacy hat geschreibt:

    > I have RedHat EL smp x86_64 system, and now I want to additionally
    > install the 32-bit version of the xorg-x11-libs for some programs
    > that are expecting the libXpm.so. Apparently the 64-bit version
    > is already installed as /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4, and there does
    > not seem to be any file link that would cause a problem if I were
    > to install a file in /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.
    >
    > So is there an rpm incantation that will get me the 32-bit libraries?

    There is if the rpm you seek is in the repository.

    $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/X11R6/lib64/libXpm.so.4

    This will list a package name.

    $ yum list all < package name >

    Will show you all the packages with that name available in the repository.

    .

    For example:
    $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libc.so.6
    glibc-2.4-4

    $ yum list all glibc
    glibc.i386
    glibc.x86_64