removing obscene screen savers? - Linux

This is a discussion on removing obscene screen savers? - Linux ; Somehow obscene screen saver pictures have gotten on to my system. I'm running Fedora Core 3 and the screen savers come up randomly and about every fifth day I get an eye full. I tried to find the offending files, ...

  1. removing obscene screen savers?

    Somehow obscene screen saver pictures have gotten on to my
    system. I'm running Fedora Core 3 and the screen savers
    come up randomly and about every fifth day I get an eye
    full. I tried to find the offending files, but have not
    found them yet. Can anyone tell me where and what to look
    for? Or can someone point me to documentation on screen
    savers?

    Jim Anderson

  2. Re: removing obscene screen savers?

    Jim Anderson writes:

    > Somehow obscene screen saver pictures have gotten on to my
    > system. I'm running Fedora Core 3 and the screen savers
    > come up randomly and about every fifth day I get an eye
    > full. I tried to find the offending files, but have not
    > found them yet. Can anyone tell me where and what to look
    > for? Or can someone point me to documentation on screen
    > savers?

    I can't seem to find it on the documentation of my current xscreensaver
    installation, on Fedora Core 4, but do seem to recall that some of the
    screen saver modes, that manipulate images, could grab images from the
    web. Try running xscreensaver-demo (or look in the appropriate kde or
    gnome control panel with screensaver options) for an option to get images
    from the web.

    -- HASM

  3. Re: removing obscene screen savers?

    HASM,

    Thank you for the suggestion. I have at least set my
    screen saver to a fixed choice. I kind of like the
    random screen savers popping up, so I'm hoping to
    eventually weed out the pornography.

    Regards,
    Jim

    HASM wrote:
    > Jim Anderson writes:
    >

    >>Somehow obscene screen saver pictures have gotten on to my
    >>system. I'm running Fedora Core 3 and the screen savers
    >>come up randomly and about every fifth day I get an eye
    >>full. I tried to find the offending files, but have not
    >>found them yet. Can anyone tell me where and what to look
    >>for? Or can someone point me to documentation on screen
    >>savers?

    > I can't seem to find it on the documentation of my current xscreensaver
    > installation, on Fedora Core 4, but do seem to recall that some of the
    > screen saver modes, that manipulate images, could grab images from the
    > web. Try running xscreensaver-demo (or look in the appropriate kde or
    > gnome control panel with screensaver options) for an option to get images
    > from the web.
    >
    > -- HASM

  4. Re: removing obscene screen savers?

    Jim Anderson wrote:

    > Thank you for the suggestion. I have at least set my
    > screen saver to a fixed choice. I kind of like the
    > random screen savers popping up, so I'm hoping to
    > eventually weed out the pornography.

    Jim, over the years, I've collected various images from art, fractal &
    photography NGs & sites. If you've got the disk space to do that, you can
    still get the variety, but use images you want.

    Bill K

+ Reply to Thread