still have boot loader problem - Linux

This is a discussion on still have boot loader problem - Linux ; I've post once because I have installed Fedora Core 4 but I cannot boot. When I try to boot, LILO and I see a 'Community 10.1' graphics screen. This is remnant of when I tried to install Mandrake about a ...

  1. still have boot loader problem

    I've post once because I have installed Fedora Core 4
    but I cannot boot. When I try to boot, LILO and I
    see a 'Community 10.1' graphics screen. This is remnant
    of when I tried to install Mandrake about a year ago.
    Mandrake did not work because I have an AMD-64 bit
    CPU and I didn't realize at that time that Mandrake
    was compile for 32-bit Intel.

    I've gotten some advice regarding running
    grub-install. I have been able to run grub-install and it
    looks like it runs ok, but when I try to reboot,
    I get the same old 'Community 10.1' screen and a panic.

    My guess is that LILO is installed on the MBR and
    I have not been able to overwrite it with GRUB.

    Last night I even tried rerunning the full installation
    being sure to respond yes that I want to install GRUB.

    Does anyone have a suggestion on how to boot the FC 4
    that is installed?

    Jim Anderson

  2. Re: still have boot loader problem

    Jim Anderson wrote:

    > I've post once because I have installed Fedora Core 4
    > but I cannot boot. When I try to boot, LILO and I
    > see a 'Community 10.1' graphics screen. This is remnant
    > of when I tried to install Mandrake about a year ago.
    > Mandrake did not work because I have an AMD-64 bit
    > CPU and I didn't realize at that time that Mandrake
    > was compile for 32-bit Intel.
    >
    > I've gotten some advice regarding running
    > grub-install. I have been able to run grub-install and it
    > looks like it runs ok, but when I try to reboot,
    > I get the same old 'Community 10.1' screen and a panic.
    >
    > My guess is that LILO is installed on the MBR and
    > I have not been able to overwrite it with GRUB.
    >
    > Last night I even tried rerunning the full installation
    > being sure to respond yes that I want to install GRUB.
    >
    > Does anyone have a suggestion on how to boot the FC 4
    > that is installed?
    >
    > Jim Anderson

    try booting with a windows 98 boot disk, once you get to the a prompt
    type "fdisk /mbr" and hit enter. That will remove lilo from the mbr
    (and replace it with the standard dos mbr) and then the disk will boot
    whichever partition is marked active, and that partition should include
    the grub boot sector.

+ Reply to Thread