synchronizing a set of Linux boxes - Linux

This is a discussion on synchronizing a set of Linux boxes - Linux ; Hi. [This is a slight revision of a previous post, which I have cancelled.] We have a lab with around 20 Linux (Fedora FC4) boxes. We would like these machines to be essentially identical. The idea is that updates would ...

  1. synchronizing a set of Linux boxes

    Hi.

    [This is a slight revision of a previous post, which I have cancelled.]

    We have a lab with around 20 Linux (Fedora FC4) boxes. We would like these
    machines to be essentially identical. The idea is that updates would only
    be done on one machine, and that changes would migrate from this machine to
    other machines. We do this via an rsync-based script (called sync-lab),
    which would run overnight, courtesy of cron.

    Of course:

    (1) The hostnames and IP addresses shouldn't be replicated.
    (2) We use autorpm to update the "source" machine only. We don't want to
    run autorpm on the other lab machines.
    (3) We don't want to mess with the log files on the other lab machines.

    So here's the sync-lab script:

    ------%<--%<--%<---cut here---%<--%<--%<----------------------------
    #!/bin/sh

    remoteMachines=/usr/local/adm/sync-lab/remoteMachines
    excludedFiles=/usr/local/adm/sync-lab/excludedFiles

    export RSYNC_RSH=/usr/bin/ssh
    for machine in `cat $remoteMachines`
    do
    rsync -ax --delete --exclude-from=$excludedFiles / $machine:/
    rsync -ax --delete /boot/ $machine:/boot/
    rsync -ax --delete /usr/local/ $machine:/usr/local/
    done
    ------%<--%<--%<---cut here---%<--%<--%<----------------------------

    The file "excludedFiles" contains the following:

    /etc/sysconfig/network
    /etc/autorpm.d/autorpm.cron
    /var/spool/cron/root
    /var/log/*

    and "remoteMachines" contains the IP address of only one machine (while
    we're in "shakedown" mode).

    Here's the output of sync-lab:

    ---%<------%<------%<------%<--Cut-Here-%<------%<------%<------%<---
    rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/dev/shm" failed: Device or resource busy (16)
    rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/proc/tty" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
    rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/selinux/booleans" failed: Operation not
    permitted (1)
    rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/sys/power" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
    rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/statd" failed: Operation
    not permitted (1)
    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(789)
    ---%<------%<------%<------%<--Cut-Here-%<------%<------%<------%<---

    This was the initial version of our problem:

    When the target machine was rebooted after running sync-lab, an X-windows
    login would hang. It would get the username and password, but nothing
    would happen after the login widget disappeared (i.e., we didn't get the
    usual GNOME stuff). I eventually had to reboot the target machine.

    However, after rebooting the target machine, everything seemed OK.

    Here is an additional data point:

    We rebooted the target machine after running sync-lab. I then brought up
    a virtual text console (ALT-F1). I *carefully* typed in a username and
    a password. The screen totally cleared and I was presented with the
    login prompt; if you had looked away for a second, it would've looked as
    if I hadn't typed anything at all. I then typed in the username/password
    a second time, and I was allowed to log in. Moreover, the X windows
    login did *not* hang.

    Does anybody have an idea why this is happening? What should I change to
    fix the problem?

    Many thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: synchronizing a set of Linux boxes

    > ---%<------%<------%<------%<--Cut-Here-%<------%<------%<------%<---
    > rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/dev/shm" failed: Device or resource busy (16)
    > rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/proc/tty" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
    > rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/selinux/booleans" failed: Operation not
    > permitted (1)
    > rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/sys/power" failed: Operation not permitted (1)
    > rsync: delete_file: rmdir "/var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs/statd" failed: Operation
    > not permitted (1)
    > rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(789)
    > ---%<------%<------%<------%<--Cut-Here-%<------%<------%<------%<---

    Most of the errors here are because you're trying to use rsync on
    virtual filesystems (i.e., like /proc). You should exclude /dev/shm,
    /proc, /selinux, /sys, and /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs from your rsync.

    It is unlikely that this will have any impact on your actual problem.

    For this sort of application I would highly recommend that you
    investigate "Radmind", http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/radmind/.

    > When the target machine was rebooted after running sync-lab, an X-windows
    > login would hang. It would get the username and password, but nothing
    > would happen after the login widget disappeared (i.e., we didn't get the
    > usual GNOME stuff).

    What was in the X server log? How about the .xsession-errors files in
    the user home directory? Was there anything in your syslog or dmesg
    output?

    -- Lars
    --
    Lars Kellogg-Stedman
    This email address will expire on 2005-11-21.

+ Reply to Thread