KWiFiConfig shows green but no networking! Help! - Linux

This is a discussion on KWiFiConfig shows green but no networking! Help! - Linux ; Hi, I am using a Slax liveCD (latest download as of 10-23-05). The IBM laptop is equipped with a DWL-G650 PCMCIA card. The KWiFiManager runs fine. It detected my network and, after configuring the WEP, it shows an "Excellent" connection. ...

  1. KWiFiConfig shows green but no networking! Help!

    Hi,

    I am using a Slax liveCD (latest download as of 10-23-05). The IBM laptop is
    equipped with a DWL-G650 PCMCIA card.

    The KWiFiManager runs fine. It detected my network and, after configuring
    the WEP, it shows an "Excellent" connection. However, there seems to be no
    connectivity - my ping returns a "network is unreachabale" for anything I
    type (including a ping of my router!).

    I entered the following entries in my /etc/resolv.conf, but it did not help:

    domain cfl.rr.com
    nameserver 192.168.0.1

    Any help or suggestions?

    Thanks!
    SB

  2. Re: KWiFiConfig shows green but no networking! Help!

    "Spare Brain" wrote in message
    news:kaV6f.211335$p_1.91003@tornado.tampabay.rr.co m...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using a Slax liveCD (latest download as of 10-23-05). The IBM laptop
    > is equipped with a DWL-G650 PCMCIA card.
    >
    > The KWiFiManager runs fine. It detected my network and, after configuring
    > the WEP, it shows an "Excellent" connection. However, there seems to be no
    > connectivity - my ping returns a "network is unreachabale" for anything I
    > type (including a ping of my router!).
    >
    > I entered the following entries in my /etc/resolv.conf, but it did not
    > help:
    >
    > domain cfl.rr.com
    > nameserver 192.168.0.1
    >
    > Any help or suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > SB

    I solved this issue, and I would like to document it on this post for any
    other lost soul like me.

    First of all, let me harp on the subject by saying that Linux would never
    become mainstream, until these processes are standardized. It literally took
    me 5-6 minutes tops to take the product out of the box and make it run on my
    windows box (and configured for WPA). And it took me 2 days to figure out
    how to make it work with my SLAX LiveCD! It also forced me to remove WPA-PSK
    and fall back on WEP, since most of the major distros would only support WPA
    through non-standard hacks posted by users (differs by distro you are
    using)! Amongst all distros I tried, SLAX is by far the least exasperating

    Here's what I had to do. Once I established KWiFiManager to work with the
    adapter (that is a separate document in itself - and may I say "phew!"), I
    had to do two things:
    1. Set my IP
    2. Set my DNS

    Although techies drool on commandline stuff, thankfully for me, there is an
    interface for doing this. Unlike Windows, I could not make the SLAX go get
    the IP from the router. I had to open the "dns and IP" setup GUI, and type
    in entries:
    IP: 192.168.0.131 (select an IP that your router has probably not assigned
    to any other entity)
    Netmask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of your router/AP)

    Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of your router/AP)
    Secondary DNS: 192.168.0.1 (the IP address of your router/AP)

    You can assign the DNS of your ISP directly here for better performance.

    Apply these changes and that's it.

    Cheers
    SB

+ Reply to Thread