System hibernation - Linux

This is a discussion on System hibernation - Linux ; How to configure the system to hibernate after a specified inactivity period (the same behavior as in Windows with setting "System hibernates" time inside Control Panel / Power options)?...

  1. System hibernation

    How to configure the system to hibernate after a specified inactivity period (the same behavior as
    in Windows with setting "System hibernates" time inside Control Panel / Power options)?

  2. Re: System hibernation

    it said the following, on 09/26/04 11:47:
    > How to configure the system to hibernate after a specified inactivity
    > period (the same behavior as in Windows with setting "System hibernates"
    > time inside Control Panel / Power options)?

    Yes, in general you can do this. How you do it is dependent on which
    Linux distro / version you are using, and on your hardware. Many recent
    distros have tools that make setting it up pretty simple. (KDE has a
    "power control" tab in the Control Center app, for example.)

    Your machine will need to support either APM or APCI, and you'll need
    the kernel modules that support those facilities (which you may have
    already).

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    rgibbs@alumni.princeton.edu

  3. Re: System hibernation

    You can implement it through many system bioses, and there's something
    called software suspend. But how well it works will depend on your
    hardware (I've had hit and miss experiences with it).

    --
    Daniel Boline
    Dept of Physics, Boston University

+ Reply to Thread