Re-activating expired accounts - Linux

This is a discussion on Re-activating expired accounts - Linux ; I let my Linux SMP machine lie dormant for a number of months. I am trying to bring the system "to life" again, but in the interim had several user accounts become expired, how do I re-activate those accounts without ...

  1. Re-activating expired accounts

    I let my Linux SMP machine lie dormant for a number of months. I am trying
    to bring the system "to life" again, but in the interim had several user
    accounts become expired, how do I re-activate those accounts without
    deleting them and recreating them?

    I am a bit concerned as the man page for adding new users states, and I am
    paraphrasing, that when an account expiration date passes, the account is
    permanently disabled. I don't have too much in the user directories, but
    this could be a rather large problem when I start to do development on this
    machine.

    I am using SuSE 8.0 Pro, but the question is one of a more general concern,
    and I don't believe it to be specific to any distro.

    Is there a command that will re-active the existing account without
    disturbing the user file structure.

    Thanks in advance

    Mike
    --
    "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
    active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, from Liberty Or Death Speech

    "Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it
    is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

    "The difference between being a coward and a man is not whether you're
    scared, it's what you do while you're scared.'' - Staff Sgt. Jeff Struecker
    's direction to a terrified Ranger prior to both rejoining the firefight in
    Mogadishu Somalia, Oct. 3, 1993.

    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
    nothing." - Edmond Burke

  2. Re: Re-activating expired accounts

    On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:26:37 -0500, Mike wrote:

    > I let my Linux SMP machine lie dormant for a number of months. I am trying
    > to bring the system "to life" again, but in the interim had several user
    > accounts become expired, how do I re-activate those accounts without
    > deleting them and recreating them?
    >
    > I am a bit concerned as the man page for adding new users states, and I am
    > paraphrasing, that when an account expiration date passes, the account is
    > permanently disabled. I don't have too much in the user directories, but
    > this could be a rather large problem when I start to do development on this
    > machine.
    >
    > I am using SuSE 8.0 Pro, but the question is one of a more general concern,
    > and I don't believe it to be specific to any distro.
    >
    > Is there a command that will re-active the existing account without
    > disturbing the user file structure.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Mike

    "usermod -U username"

    From the passwd(5) man page ('man -S5 passwd'...S5 refers to section 5):

    -U Unlock a user's password. This removes the '!' in front of the encrypted password. You
    can't use this option with -p or -L.

    The encrypted password it refers to is in the /etc/shadow file (man -S5
    shadow)

    --Dave

  3. Re: Re-activating expired accounts

    "Dave Smith" wrote in message
    newsan.2004.09.20.23.49.22.139282@djms.JUNKME.net...
    > On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 13:26:37 -0500, Mike wrote:
    >
    > > I let my Linux SMP machine lie dormant for a number of months. I am

    trying
    > > to bring the system "to life" again, but in the interim had several user
    > > accounts become expired, how do I re-activate those accounts without
    > > deleting them and recreating them?
    > >
    > > I am a bit concerned as the man page for adding new users states, and I

    am
    > > paraphrasing, that when an account expiration date passes, the account

    is
    > > permanently disabled. I don't have too much in the user directories,

    but
    > > this could be a rather large problem when I start to do development on

    this
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > I am using SuSE 8.0 Pro, but the question is one of a more general

    concern,
    > > and I don't believe it to be specific to any distro.
    > >
    > > Is there a command that will re-active the existing account without
    > > disturbing the user file structure.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Mike

    > "usermod -U username"
    >
    > From the passwd(5) man page ('man -S5 passwd'...S5 refers to section 5):
    >

    > -U Unlock a user's password. This removes the '!' in front of

    the encrypted password. You
    > can't use this option with -p or -L.
    >
    > The encrypted password it refers to is in the /etc/shadow file (man -S5
    > shadow)
    >

    > --Dave

    Thanks for the help.

    Mike