root password changed - Linux

This is a discussion on root password changed - Linux ; Hi all, Strangely, the root password I had always used on my system decided to suddenly make itself unavailable. Without having to change the password, I tried to su root in my terminal only to get the message 'invalid password'. ...

  1. root password changed

    Hi all,

    Strangely, the root password I had always used on my system decided to
    suddenly make itself unavailable.

    Without having to change the password, I tried to su root in my terminal
    only to get the message 'invalid password'.

    I booted from the SuSE 7.3 CD and edited /etc/shadow deleting root's
    password; after reboot, I supplied root with a new one. But here's the
    interesting thing: Now whenever I su root, it gives me root's prompt
    without asking me for *any* password.

    Not a desirable situation.

    Thank you, any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

    aW

    --
    SuSE Linux 7.3 / Bash

  2. Re: root password changed

    aW wrote:

    > interesting thing: Now whenever I su root, it gives me root's prompt
    > without asking me for *any* password.

    Try pwconv

    Ciao :-)

  3. Re: root password changed

    I had like a similar problem before but this was on a Solaris 8 box. The
    only way I gotten around it was that I had to console in and change the
    password that way. That might be something you can try.

    aW wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Strangely, the root password I had always used on my system decided to
    > suddenly make itself unavailable.
    >
    > Without having to change the password, I tried to su root in my terminal
    > only to get the message 'invalid password'.
    >
    > I booted from the SuSE 7.3 CD and edited /etc/shadow deleting root's
    > password; after reboot, I supplied root with a new one. But here's the
    > interesting thing: Now whenever I su root, it gives me root's prompt
    > without asking me for *any* password.
    >
    > Not a desirable situation.
    >
    > Thank you, any ideas will be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > aW

+ Reply to Thread