Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console - Linux

This is a discussion on Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console - Linux ; Hi, I bought a new mini-itx system. It has nothing installed. I also dont have a keyboard and monitor to attach to it to install RedHat. What I have is my XP laptop that I am wondering if it is ...

  1. Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console

    Hi,

    I bought a new mini-itx system. It has nothing installed. I also
    dont have a keyboard and monitor to attach to it to install RedHat.

    What I have is my XP laptop that I am wondering if it is possible to
    hook to the mini-itx to use as console to install RH.

    Mini-itx has a CD/DVD drive, along with standard monitor connectors
    and parallel and serial ports.

    The easiest way to use my laptop as a console to this mini-itx system
    ?????

    thanks In advance for your comments.

    J.L.

  2. Re: Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console

    John Lukar said the following, on 07/27/04 23:54:

    > I bought a new mini-itx system. It has nothing installed. I also
    > dont have a keyboard and monitor to attach to it to install RedHat.
    >
    > What I have is my XP laptop that I am wondering if it is possible to
    > hook to the mini-itx to use as console to install RH.
    >
    > Mini-itx has a CD/DVD drive, along with standard monitor connectors
    > and parallel and serial ports.

    If you have a terminal emulator program to run on the laptop, you might
    be able to connect the laptop as a (text-based) terminal on the mini's
    serial port. This would only work if the RH installer will recognize a
    serial terminal as a console -- I don't know the answer to that.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    rgibbs@alumni.princeton.edu

  3. Re: Installing linux on desktop using my laptop as console

    In article , John Lukar wrote:
    >I bought a new mini-itx system. It has nothing installed. I also
    >dont have a keyboard and monitor to attach to it to install RedHat.

    Well, you have a problem. The computer can be set up to _run_ without
    a keyboard or monitor (I've several running that way, including the
    firewall box), but to do so, you need a keyboard and monitor of some
    kind to do the setup. For example, see

    287028 Mar 31 2003 Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO

    >What I have is my XP laptop that I am wondering if it is possible to
    >hook to the mini-itx to use as console to install RH.

    No, because you have to tell the BIOS and boot loader to use a serial consle.

    >Mini-itx has a CD/DVD drive, along with standard monitor connectors
    >and parallel and serial ports.

    I'm afraid you are going to have to borrow a keyboard and a compatible
    monitor of some kind.

    >The easiest way to use my laptop as a console to this mini-itx system
    >?????

    is to temporarily install a keyboard and monitor, install the operating
    system, and then follow those steps in the Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO.

    Once you have the O/S installed and configured to run headless, then
    you can use a null modem cable to connect the serial ports and control
    it that way. All of my systems are also connected using Ethernet, and
    I use that as the primary control. Should something go wrong, I use
    an A/B/C/D switch (actually three of them cascaded) to connect the
    serial port to the serial port of one of the workstations. If things
    go _really_ wrong, I also can steal a keyboard and monitor off one of
    the other systems - haven't had to do that yet.

    Which reminds me - serial ports are slow, and bandwidth limited. If you
    are going to try to run a GUI, you really should have a network link,
    which is a minimum 100 times faster than a serial link. There is a
    small HOWTO named "LBX" for Low Bandwidth X, but it's quite dated.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread