Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address) - Linux

This is a discussion on Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address) - Linux ; It seems that I simply can't do anything with raw devices on FedoraCore3Test1 (kernel 2.6.7): [root@SRV root]# raw -a Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address) Adding alias char-major-162 raw to /etc/modprobe.conf didn't change anything: [root@SRV ...

  1. Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    It seems that I simply can't do anything with raw devices on
    FedoraCore3Test1 (kernel 2.6.7):

    [root@SRV root]# raw -a
    Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or
    address)

    Adding alias char-major-162 raw to /etc/modprobe.conf didn't change
    anything:
    [root@SRV root]# modprobe raw
    FATAL: Module raw not found.

    The strange thing is that all the files are there:
    [root@SRV raw]# which raw
    /usr/bin/raw

    [root@SRV raw]# ls -l /dev/raw
    total 1024
    crw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 162, 1 Jun 24 13:58 raw1
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 10 Jun 24 13:58 raw10
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 100 Jun 24 13:58 raw100
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 101 Jun 24 13:58 raw101
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 102 Jun 24 13:58 raw102
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 103 Jun 24 13:58 raw103
    crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 104 Jun 24 13:58 raw104
    ............... (until 255)
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 24 12:25 rawctl -> /dev/rawctl

    I have just rebuilt and installed 2.6.7 kernel from source (from
    kernel.org - not Fedora) and I simply could not find any references to
    support for raw devices in kernel configuration. Anyone knows where to
    find that in 2.6.7?
    Or is ot not the kernel, but rather something else?

  2. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

  3. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    You are right:
    # zgrep -i raw /proc/config.gz
    CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
    CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW=y
    CONFIG_IP6_NF_RAW=y
    # CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
    #
    So all I have to do now is to find that option in the kernel
    configuration that sets this CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER. I did it through
    xconfig and somehow missed it.

    Michael Heiming wrote in message news:...

  4. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

  5. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device oraddress)

    v8625 wrote:
    > It seems that I simply can't do anything with raw devices on
    > FedoraCore3Test1 (kernel 2.6.7):

    I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES and raw devices work just fine.
    Since in some sense, Fedora is newer than RHEL 3 ES, some of the following
    may help...

    > [root@SRV root]# raw -a
    > Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or
    > address)

    trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# raw -a
    /dev/raw/raw1: bound to major 8, minor 1
    /dev/raw/raw2: bound to major 8, minor 17
    /dev/raw/raw3: bound to major 8, minor 33
    /dev/raw/raw4: bound to major 8, minor 50

    > Adding alias char-major-162 raw to /etc/modprobe.conf didn't change
    > anything:
    > [root@SRV root]# modprobe raw
    > FATAL: Module raw not found.

    trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# /sbin/modprobe raw
    modprobe: Can't locate module raw

    Perhaps there is no such module. Maybe none is required.

    > The strange thing is that all the files are there:
    > [root@SRV raw]# which raw
    > /usr/bin/raw

    trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# which raw
    /usr/bin/raw

    > [root@SRV raw]# ls -l /dev/raw
    > total 1024
    > crw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 162, 1 Jun 24 13:58 raw1
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 10 Jun 24 13:58 raw10
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 100 Jun 24 13:58 raw100
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 101 Jun 24 13:58 raw101
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 102 Jun 24 13:58 raw102
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 103 Jun 24 13:58 raw103
    > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 104 Jun 24 13:58 raw104
    > .............. (until 255)
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 24 12:25 rawctl -> /dev/rawctl

    I do not have a pointer to /dev/rawctl in /dev/raw. I do not seem to need one.

    > I have just rebuilt and installed 2.6.7 kernel from source (from
    > kernel.org - not Fedora) and I simply could not find any references to
    > support for raw devices in kernel configuration. Anyone knows where to
    > find that in 2.6.7?

    Config file for config-2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp contains
    CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m

    > Or is ot not the kernel, but rather something else?

    Did you configure it right? I have the following file:

    /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices

    that contains:

    # raw device bindings
    # format:
    #
    # example: /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    # /dev/raw/raw2 8 5
    #
    # These are for IBM DB2 V8.1.5 for stock database.
    /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/sdb1
    /dev/raw/raw3 /dev/sdc1
    /dev/raw/raw4 /dev/sdd2

    /etc/rc.d/init.d/rawdevices looks at it when you boot or change run level.

    You may need something else in yours, but you will need something.

    /V\ Registered Machine 241939.
    ^^-^^ 15:15:00 up 9 days, 56 min, 3 users, load average: 4.20, 4.18, 4.12

  6. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    On 25 Jul 2004 09:54:34 -0700, v8625 wrote:

    > You are right:
    > # zgrep -i raw /proc/config.gz
    > CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
    > CONFIG_IP_NF_RAW=y
    > CONFIG_IP6_NF_RAW=y
    > # CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
    > #
    > So all I have to do now is to find that option in the kernel
    > configuration that sets this CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER. I did it through
    > xconfig and somehow missed it.

    Here's what I'd do:

    The config file is usually named .config in your top kernel sources
    directory for compilation purposes.

    Check in $kernel_sources/Documentation/Configure.help and read all
    about RAW, making sure that you set anything that it might be dependent
    on.

    Take your config file from the last compile and delete:

    # CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set

    I wouldn't do any other editing in that file. (I was told this and
    always followed the advice, but am not sure it is correct. It just
    works.)

    Do a "make mrproper" to clean up the sources first. (Without .config
    in place.)

    Then cp .config there and run "make oldconfig" using the same sources and
    the only place it will pause is to ask you about the above.

    Etc.

    HTH

    AC

    --
    Pass-List -----> Block-List ----> Challenge-Response
    The key to taking control of your mailbox. Design Parameters:

  7. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    Done. Found, recompiled, enabled. Everything is working beautifully. I
    guess the reason I skipped it was because it said "deprecated" or
    "outdated" or something else like that. I couldn't find any info. on
    what are they going to replace it with though. By opening application
    with some command, like O_SYNC or something? I am not sure how that is
    going to work for databases, like Sybase or Oracle.

    Jean-David Beyer wrote in message news:<10g82lp4otvp6da@corp.supernews.com>...
    > v8625 wrote:
    > > It seems that I simply can't do anything with raw devices on
    > > FedoraCore3Test1 (kernel 2.6.7):

    > I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 ES and raw devices work just fine.
    > Since in some sense, Fedora is newer than RHEL 3 ES, some of the following
    > may help...
    > >
    > > [root@SRV root]# raw -a
    > > Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or
    > > address)

    > trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# raw -a
    > /dev/raw/raw1: bound to major 8, minor 1
    > /dev/raw/raw2: bound to major 8, minor 17
    > /dev/raw/raw3: bound to major 8, minor 33
    > /dev/raw/raw4: bound to major 8, minor 50
    > >
    > > Adding alias char-major-162 raw to /etc/modprobe.conf didn't change
    > > anything:
    > > [root@SRV root]# modprobe raw
    > > FATAL: Module raw not found.

    > trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# /sbin/modprobe raw
    > modprobe: Can't locate module raw
    >
    > Perhaps there is no such module. Maybe none is required.
    > >
    > > The strange thing is that all the files are there:
    > > [root@SRV raw]# which raw
    > > /usr/bin/raw

    > trillian:root[/home/jdbeyer]# which raw
    > /usr/bin/raw
    >

    > > [root@SRV raw]# ls -l /dev/raw
    > > total 1024
    > > crw-rw-rw- 1 root disk 162, 1 Jun 24 13:58 raw1
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 10 Jun 24 13:58 raw10
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 100 Jun 24 13:58 raw100
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 101 Jun 24 13:58 raw101
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 102 Jun 24 13:58 raw102
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 103 Jun 24 13:58 raw103
    > > crw-rw---- 1 root disk 162, 104 Jun 24 13:58 raw104
    > > .............. (until 255)
    > > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jul 24 12:25 rawctl -> /dev/rawctl

    > I do not have a pointer to /dev/rawctl in /dev/raw. I do not seem to need one.
    > >
    > > I have just rebuilt and installed 2.6.7 kernel from source (from
    > > kernel.org - not Fedora) and I simply could not find any references to
    > > support for raw devices in kernel configuration. Anyone knows where to
    > > find that in 2.6.7?

    > Config file for config-2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp contains
    > CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
    >
    > > Or is ot not the kernel, but rather something else?

    > Did you configure it right? I have the following file:
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices
    >
    > that contains:
    >
    > # raw device bindings
    > # format:
    > #
    > # example: /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    > # /dev/raw/raw2 8 5
    > #
    > # These are for IBM DB2 V8.1.5 for stock database.
    > /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    > /dev/raw/raw2 /dev/sdb1
    > /dev/raw/raw3 /dev/sdc1
    > /dev/raw/raw4 /dev/sdd2
    >
    > /etc/rc.d/init.d/rawdevices looks at it when you boot or change run level.
    >
    > You may need something else in yours, but you will need something.

  8. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    In comp.os.linux.admin v8625 wrote:
    > Done. Found, recompiled, enabled. Everything is working beautifully. I
    > guess the reason I skipped it was because it said "deprecated" or
    > "outdated" or something else like that. I couldn't find any info. on
    > what are they going to replace it with though. By opening application
    > with some command, like O_SYNC or something? I am not sure how that is

    O_DIRECT, I suppose.

    > going to work for databases, like Sybase or Oracle.

    Peter

  9. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device oraddress)

    v8625 wrote:
    > Done. Found, recompiled, enabled. Everything is working beautifully. I
    > guess the reason I skipped it was because it said "deprecated" or
    > "outdated" or something else like that.

    Not in the config file I got with my distro.

    > I couldn't find any info. on
    > what are they going to replace it with though. By opening application
    > with some command, like O_SYNC or something? I am not sure how that is
    > going to work for databases, like Sybase or Oracle.

    I do not understand what you are talking about here. But I do know that
    the raw file systems work perfectly with IBM DB2 UDB V8.1.6, if that is
    any consolation.

> [...]

    >>>find that in 2.6.7?

    >>Config file for config-2.4.21-15.0.3.ELsmp contains
    >>CONFIG_IEEE1394_RAWIO=m
    >>

    >>>Or is ot not the kernel, but rather something else?

    >>Did you configure it right? I have the following file:
    >>
    >>/etc/sysconfig/rawdevices
    >>
    >>that contains:
    >>
    >># raw device bindings
    >># format:
    >>#
    >># example: /dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    >># /dev/raw/raw2 8 5
    >>#
    >># These are for IBM DB2 V8.1.5 for stock database.
    >>/dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sda1
    >>/dev/raw/raw2 /dev/sdb1
    >>/dev/raw/raw3 /dev/sdc1
    >>/dev/raw/raw4 /dev/sdd2
    >>
    >>/etc/rc.d/init.d/rawdevices looks at it when you boot or change run level.
    >>
    >>You may need something else in yours, but you will need something.

    ^^-^^ 16:25:00 up 1:26, 4 users, load average: 12.03, 11.88, 11.18

  10. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

    That's right, O_DIRECT. I actuallu wouldn't mind experimenting with
    this - for my own edification. Especially since they say that "raw
    device access is now deprecated" in favor of this O_DIRECT thing. But
    I couldn't find any references on how to use it, for example, how to
    set up devices for a database, like Oracle, Sybase, etc. using this
    O_DIRECT thingy. Any ideas?

    ptb@oboe.it.uc3m.es (P.T. Breuer) wrote in message news:<11o3ec.1vh.ln@news.it.uc3m.es>...
    > In comp.os.linux.admin v8625 wrote:
    > > Done. Found, recompiled, enabled. Everything is working beautifully. I
    > > guess the reason I skipped it was because it said "deprecated" or
    > > "outdated" or something else like that. I couldn't find any info. on
    > > what are they going to replace it with though. By opening application
    > > with some command, like O_SYNC or something? I am not sure how that is

    > O_DIRECT, I suppose.
    >
    > > going to work for databases, like Sybase or Oracle.

    > Peter

  11. Re: Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or address)

+ Reply to Thread