Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence? - Linux

This is a discussion on Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence? - Linux ; The open source model, with special regard to Linux, has no doubt become a formidable competitor to the once sole giant of the software industry, Microsoft. It is expected when the market share of an industry leader becomes threatened, retaliation ...

  1. Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence?

    The open source model, with special regard to Linux, has no doubt
    become a formidable competitor to the once sole giant of the software
    industry, Microsoft. It is expected when the market share of an
    industry leader becomes threatened, retaliation with new product or
    service offerings and marketing campaigns refuting the claims of the
    new found competition are inevitable. However, in the case of
    Microsoft, it seems they have not taken a solid or plausible position
    on the use of open source applications as an alternative to Windows.

    I read on a daily basis the latest ventures of Microsoft from the much
    publicized "war on Linux" to surrendering and publishing portions of
    their source code. In their first argument, executives of the Redmond
    Washington company regard Linux as everything from a "waste of money"
    to a threat to the well-being of the software industry. During these
    arguments, Microsoft executives stick by their original perception,
    attempting to position open source software as a less secure, less
    technologically sound option that does not only offer inferior
    solutions but is inherently bad for the financial and developmental
    growth of the industry. Although proved wrong time and time again by
    accredited analysts, journalists and customers it is a fair position
    for a corporation to take when their competition has them against the
    ropes.

    However, what is puzzling to me is that Microsoft never seems to stick
    with that argument. Whether they are intentionally or unintentionally
    releasing portions of their source code to the public, they themselves
    have implemented a "shared source initiative" in recent years.
    Coincidentally, this program mirrors the benefits brought fourth by
    the open source development process in which segments of their source
    code are released to the public intended to be used as a resource for
    developers. Originally, backing up the view that open source was
    substandard and dangerous, the program operated under a "look don't
    touch" policy, however, in recent months the software giant has
    changed its tune offering participating developers the chance to
    modify and propose ways to improve upon the available code.

    Rest of article at
    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature...story-168.html

  2. Re: Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence?

    DaveAI wrote:

    > The open source model, with special regard to Linux, has no doubt
    > become a formidable competitor to the once sole giant of the software
    > industry, Microsoft. It is expected when the market share of an
    > industry leader becomes threatened, retaliation with new product or
    > service offerings and marketing campaigns refuting the claims of the
    > new found competition are inevitable. However, in the case of
    > Microsoft, it seems they have not taken a solid or plausible position
    > on the use of open source applications as an alternative to Windows.
    >
    > I read on a daily basis the latest ventures of Microsoft from the much
    > publicized "war on Linux" to surrendering and publishing portions of
    > their source code. In their first argument, executives of the Redmond
    > Washington company regard Linux as everything from a "waste of money"
    > to a threat to the well-being of the software industry.

    I think M$ should ask Clippy for advise.
    They need to separate business from love
    of their creations. Follow the lead of IBM,
    by sacking the internal managers opposed to
    free software as a way to start dealing
    with a problem these unproductive managers
    are clearly unable to focus on and resolve.
    IBM has already achieved the breakthrough,
    and created billions in new jobs and winning new contracts.
    There is no real room for these managers in M$
    who can't cooperate with the open source community.

  3. Re: Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence?

    Was that a draft for a "National Enquirer" or "Weekly World News" article?

  4. Re: Open Source Leaving Microsoft Sitting on the Fence?

    Op 22 Jul 2004 09:33:35 -0700 schreef DaveAI:

    > The open source model, with special regard to Linux, has no doubt
    > become a formidable competitor to the once sole giant of the software
    > industry, Microsoft. It is expected when the market share of an
    > industry leader becomes threatened, retaliation with new product or
    > service offerings and marketing campaigns refuting the claims of the
    > new found competition are inevitable. However, in the case of
    > Microsoft, it seems they have not taken a solid or plausible position
    > on the use of open source applications as an alternative to Windows.
    >
    > I read on a daily basis the latest ventures of Microsoft from the much
    > publicized "war on Linux" to surrendering and publishing portions of
    > their source code. In their first argument, executives of the Redmond
    > Washington company regard Linux as everything from a "waste of money"
    > to a threat to the well-being of the software industry. During these
    > arguments, Microsoft executives stick by their original perception,
    > attempting to position open source software as a less secure, less
    > technologically sound option that does not only offer inferior
    > solutions but is inherently bad for the financial and developmental
    > growth of the industry. Although proved wrong time and time again by
    > accredited analysts, journalists and customers it is a fair position
    > for a corporation to take when their competition has them against the
    > ropes.
    >
    > However, what is puzzling to me is that Microsoft never seems to stick
    > with that argument. Whether they are intentionally or unintentionally
    > releasing portions of their source code to the public, they themselves
    > have implemented a "shared source initiative" in recent years.
    > Coincidentally, this program mirrors the benefits brought fourth by
    > the open source development process in which segments of their source
    > code are released to the public intended to be used as a resource for
    > developers. Originally, backing up the view that open source was
    > substandard and dangerous, the program operated under a "look don't
    > touch" policy, however, in recent months the software giant has
    > changed its tune offering participating developers the chance to
    > modify and propose ways to improve upon the available code.
    >
    > Rest of article at
    > http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature...story-168.html

    Fence? What fence? See my signature.
    --