filtering outbound mail - Linux

This is a discussion on filtering outbound mail - Linux ; I would like users to be able to filter their outgoing mail, the same way they can filter mail received, e.g. through procmail or mailagent as mail delivery agents (let us call MDA): MUA ---> MDA --> sendmail What is ...

  1. filtering outbound mail

    I would like users to be able to filter their outgoing mail, the same
    way they can filter mail received, e.g. through procmail or mailagent as
    mail delivery agents (let us call MDA):

    MUA ---> MDA --> sendmail

    What is the best way to set up such service?

    Thank you

    --
    Pol

  2. Re: filtering outbound mail

    "Pol" wrote in message

    > I would like users to be able to filter their outgoing mail, ...

    [...]
    > What is the best way to set up such service?

    Tell them to turn on their brains, and don't send mail that they wish to
    filter.

    --
    use hotmail for email replies

  3. Re: filtering outbound mail

    ynotssor wrote:
    > "Pol" wrote in message
    >

    >>I would like users to be able to filter their outgoing mail, ...

    > [...]
    >
    >>What is the best way to set up such service?

    > Tell them to turn on their brains, and don't send mail that they wish to
    > filter.

    Sotty, maybe i have used wrong words.
    Filtering would be useful to save outgoing mail into selected folders,
    besides the the common outbox.
    Outgoing mail filtering rules should be consistent with the incoming
    mail rules, so that folders gathering letters pertaining to a given
    subject can be maintained.

    thank you
    --
    Pol

  4. Re: filtering outbound mail

    "Pol" wrote in message

    > Filtering would be useful to save outgoing mail into selected folders,
    > besides the the common outbox.
    > Outgoing mail filtering rules should be consistent with the incoming
    > mail rules, so that folders gathering letters pertaining to a given
    > subject can be maintained.

    sendmail is a Mail Transport Agent (MTA) and has nothing to do with
    "folders".

    --
    use hotmail for email replies

  5. Re: filtering outbound mail

    ynotssor said the following, on 07/24/04 00:19:
    > "Pol" wrote in message
    >

    >>Filtering would be useful to save outgoing mail into selected folders,
    >>besides the the common outbox.
    >>Outgoing mail filtering rules should be consistent with the incoming
    >>mail rules, so that folders gathering letters pertaining to a given
    >>subject can be maintained.

    > sendmail is a Mail Transport Agent (MTA) and has nothing to do with
    > "folders".

    Right. Filtering / filing of outgoing messages is a function of the
    Mail User Agent. Kmail (part of KDE) can do this; I don't think
    Thunderbird can at the moment.

    --
    Rich Gibbs
    rgibbs@alumni.princeton.edu