NFS I/O Error - Linux

This is a discussion on NFS I/O Error - Linux ; Hi, I am running NFS server in Redhat 7.1.I have mounted three directories.It isdone through automount(Hard mount).Hundreds of clients are mounted to the server.When user (client machine) tried to copy or remove the directory, the NFS throwsI/O error.All the clients ...

  1. NFS I/O Error

    Hi,
    I am running NFS server in Redhat 7.1.I have mounted three
    directories.It isdone through automount(Hard mount).Hundreds of
    clients are mounted to the server.When user (client machine) tried to
    copy or remove the directory, the NFS throwsI/O error.All the clients
    have XFS file Systems, and my server is running on ext2file
    systems.This error happens very frequently.Did somebody experienced
    this kind of problem ?.Is there any patches for this ??.

    Santhosh

  2. Re: NFS I/O Error

    Santhosh wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am running NFS server in Redhat 7.1.I have mounted three
    > directories.It isdone through automount(Hard mount).Hundreds of
    > clients are mounted to the server.When user (client machine) tried to
    > copy or remove the directory, the NFS throwsI/O error.All the clients
    > have XFS file Systems, and my server is running on ext2file
    > systems.This error happens very frequently.Did somebody experienced
    > this kind of problem ?.Is there any patches for this ??.
    >
    > Santhosh

    I suppose the file transfer has worked at least once. If not, check the
    security! I suppose also that the I/O error happens on the client.

    Then this could be a network issue.

    A few pointers:
    1) Check that your NICs speed are not set to "autonegotiate" (on clients
    and server), which can be confusing especially with recent switches. Set
    them to the best speed available (100/FullDuplex if you have no old
    hubs). This will improve the overall network performance anyway.
    2) Do you have a switch or a hub? If it's a switch, wait until everybody
    is gone and hard reset it (power off). Sometimes when you move computers
    from one subnet to another the switches can become confused and it's
    surprising how not often the switches are reset in a busy environment.
    3) Obvious one: check the cable between the server and the client. Is it
    too long, too cheap? A bad cable will generate a lot of garbage and NFS
    is quite sensitive to garbage.

    --
    LucM

    Visit your friends