A clue to help me restore linux - Linux

This is a discussion on A clue to help me restore linux - Linux ; I've got a simple problem and it isn't critical. I'm running a very nice installation of Debian (Sarge) at work. It's so nice in fact, that I'd like to copy it to my home (gaming) machine to play around on ...

  1. A clue to help me restore linux

    I've got a simple problem and it isn't critical.

    I'm running a very nice installation of Debian (Sarge) at work. It's so
    nice in fact, that I'd like to copy it to my home (gaming) machine to
    play around on it.

    I'm getting pretty confident now with tar and mount and so forth.

    I've tarred the installation (with -cjf) and put it on a nice CDR for
    transport. I've untarred it to a partition (hda3) on my home computer.

    I now need to know how to install grub onto it so it will boot Debian on
    hda3.

    Partitions are currently:
    1. NTFS (16GB)(drive C)
    2. NTFS (12GB)(drive D)
    3. ext3 (12GB)(Debian)

    I have another 80Gig drive as hdb1 (really NTFS drive E) used as temp
    storage for other uses. It really needs to stay this way because I'm
    always running short on space there anyway.

    Basically, I need to know if grub (or maybe lilo) can run from the boot
    sector of hda and it selectively boot to Win2K or Debain. Is it
    neccessary to have a small partition just for grub?

    Any clues greatly appreciated, thanks.

    One other question also:

    What is a good program (preferably free) that can handle the binary
    groups on usenet? I'm used to running Agent in Windows amd have it
    currently running under wine. I need a proggy that can handle getting
    some of those mp3 files from usenet. It needs to automatically join the
    multiple headers back together. And, of course run under native-Linux.

    And spare me the lecture about the legality of this. This is how I
    determine what warrants a purchase or not.

    Thanks for any info you may have.

    Kenneth Lantrip

  2. Re: A clue to help me restore linux

    Kenneth Lantrip wrote in news:jmOsc.291$OC6.114@fe25.usenetserver.com:

    > I've got a simple problem and it isn't critical.
    > What is a good program (preferably free) that can handle the binary
    > groups on usenet? I'm used to running Agent in Windows amd have it
    > currently running under wine. I need a proggy that can handle getting
    > some of those mp3 files from usenet. It needs to automatically join the
    > multiple headers back together. And, of course run under native-Linux.

    Hi,
    I am running Xnews (v06.08.25) under Linux (Mandrake 9.1) and it works fine with Wine (v20040408).
    There are a few small probs but no show-stoppers. Multipart joining and splitting work just fine. The
    software is free.

    If you realy want mp3 files I suggest you use a p2p network like FastTrack (Kazaa). You can find Linux sw
    like Apollon on sourceforge. The great thing about Apollon is that it works with more than one network at
    once.

    --

+ Reply to Thread