error while installing redhat 8.0 - Linux

This is a discussion on error while installing redhat 8.0 - Linux ; when ever i try to install redhat 8.0 in my machine i get tghis error "There was an error installing XXXXX. This can indicate media failure, lack of disk space, and/ or hardware problems. This is fatal error and your ...

  1. error while installing redhat 8.0

    when ever i try to install redhat 8.0 in my machine i get tghis error
    "There was an error installing XXXXX. This can indicate media failure,
    lack of disk space, and/ or hardware problems. This is fatal error and
    your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try install
    again."
    i gave xxxxx because i get this error while installing various
    packages.i am unable to understand what the problem is can u give me a
    solution
    thanks,bye

  2. Re: error while installing redhat 8.0

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 14:17:03 -0700, srinivas wrote:

    > when ever i try to install redhat 8.0 in my machine i get tghis error
    > "There was an error installing XXXXX. This can indicate media failure,
    > lack of disk space, and/ or hardware problems. This is fatal error and
    > your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and try install
    > again."
    > i gave xxxxx because i get this error while installing various packages.i
    > am unable to understand what the problem is can u give me a solution
    > thanks,bye

    Oh Boy, a problem on which I can actually offer some constructive advice!
    I got these same errors while installing Fedora Core 1. Hardly ever the
    same package each time, and media verification said that install disks
    were all fine. That suggested to me that it was a drive error, or possibly
    that while the files on disk were not corrupted during download and
    install, that the overall quality of the cd-r's was not good (I buy the
    cheapy 100 packs).

    ANSWER: after a dozen attempts with my 48X speed DVD/CD everything drive,
    I decided to try installing an older 8x/2x CD-R drive, thinking that the
    slower read speed might help the process, and voila! It worked... mostly.
    much later in the install process, I did get some errors, but they were
    recoverable "retry" errors, and Anaconda installer just re-read the
    packages. Needless to say, install took much longer; about 2.5 hours,
    partly because of the much slower drive, partly because of the retries.

    So, if you are trying to install with a faster CD drive, *especially* a
    DVD combo or writable drive, I suggest sticking in a older slower drive if
    you have one laying around. As another option, you could try setting up an
    install partition and copying the image files to HD and doing a hard drive
    install. I know it can be done, but not how, since I didn't have to go
    figure that one out myself. Good luck.

+ Reply to Thread