Windows Server replace with Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows Server replace with Linux - Linux ; Hi all, My company like to replace the windows server with linux server. The services that we need on the linux server are: - DHCP - DNS - WebServer - File Server - Print Server there are much manufacturer of ...

  1. Windows Server replace with Linux

    Hi all,

    My company like to replace the windows server with linux server.

    The services that we need on the linux server are:

    - DHCP
    - DNS
    - WebServer
    - File Server
    - Print Server

    there are much manufacturer of linux version.
    which linux distribution prefer you for this services??

    thx bob

  2. Re: Windows Server replace with Linux

    On Tue, 04 May 2004 05:58:43 -0700, aegi wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > My company like to replace the windows server with linux server.
    >
    > The services that we need on the linux server are:
    >
    > - DHCP
    > - DNS
    > - WebServer
    > - File Server
    > - Print Server
    >
    > there are much manufacturer of linux version.
    > which linux distribution prefer you for this services??

    Just about any recent distro will do ALL of that (and more).

    Red Hat $$$
    SuSE $$$
    Mandrake $
    Fedora Core
    Gentoo
    Debian
    Slackware

    If you are new to all this Linux stuff I would recommend Fedora Core, Red
    Hat or SuSE. The distributions with full and expensive (marked with $$$)
    support contracts are good and fairly easy to use. Fedora Core is free and
    as easy to use as Red Hat or SuSE. Mandrake is easy to use but I find it
    to be a bit too flaky. Gentoo, Debian, and Slackware are very good but are
    not as simple to learn how to use... once they are setup though and you
    learn their ins and outs they are very easy to maintain.

    -DU-...etc...

  3. Re: Windows Server replace with Linux

    bsetzler@hotmail.com (aegi) wrote in message news:<6870d576.0405040458.686db94f@posting.google.com>...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > My company like to replace the windows server with linux server.
    >
    > The services that we need on the linux server are:
    >
    > - DHCP
    > - DNS
    > - WebServer
    > - File Server
    > - Print Server
    >
    > there are much manufacturer of linux version.
    > which linux distribution prefer you for this services??
    >
    > thx bob

    Here is the kicker Bob. Most of all the distros will be running the
    same stuff. What I am saying is that

    DHCPD
    DNS - Bind
    WebServer - Apache
    File Server - NFS or SAMBA if any Windows remain
    Print Server - CUPS

    You can always tune the kernel for better performance for most of
    these processes so ditro is not incredibly important at your level.
    Choose one with support and updates. We run a mixture of Debian and
    Redhat to rin all of these and much much more so do some reading and
    good luck.

    Chris May
    Sr. Linux Admin
    INFINICON SYSTEMS
    King of Prussia , PA

  4. Re: Windows Server replace with Linux

    aegi wrote:

    > My company like to replace the windows server with linux server.
    >
    > The services that we need on the linux server are:
    >
    > - DHCP
    > - DNS
    > - WebServer
    > - File Server
    > - Print Server
    >
    > there are much manufacturer of linux version.
    > which linux distribution prefer you for this services??

    There are hundreds and hundreds of distributions available.

    However, in a corporate setting there are several main ones:

    Red Hat Advanced Server ($800+)
    SUSE Enterprise Linux ($800+?)
    Debian Woody (free)
    Mandrake Corporate Server

    There are others, but most of them are either localized (Conectiva for
    Latin America, AltLinux for Russia) or much lesser known and used.

    For a corporate environment, I would recommend probably recommend Red
    Hat or SUSE with a full support contract unless you need the portability
    of Debian - Debian will run on pretty much everything (we have a HP-9000
    running it).

    For services, all of these services are available for Linux:

    DHCP: dhcpd
    DNS: BIND
    WebServer: Lots! Apache is the most widely used; normally included..

    For a file and print server, if it is replacing windows, then you will
    want a Windows Print and File server, yes? To do this, use Samba on
    Linux - it too is included everywhere. Samba provides Windows services,
    and can act as a Windows domain controller, etc.

    If you don't wish to pay a lot (or anything!) I would recommend one of:

    Debian Woody
    CentOS 2 or 3

    CentOS is Red Hat Advanced Server built from publicly released sources
    from Red Hat.

    I would stay away from Fedora Core - it might be nice and good, but it
    has no place in a corporate production setting...

    Also, if you're not stuck with Linux - check out the BSDs. FreeBSD,
    OpenBSD, and NetBSD are all available and have the same functions and
    programs available - and are corporate production ready. All are free.
    FreeBSD is what powers some of the biggest systems out there,
    including Yahoo.

    Some places to go:

    Red Hat: http://www.redhat.com
    CentOS: http://www.caosity.org
    Debian: http://www.debian.org
    Mandrake: http://www.mandrake.com
    FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org
    NetBSD: http://www.netbsd.org
    OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.org
    Conectiva: http://www.conectiva.com
    AltLinux: http://www.altlinux.com

    Places to check out distributions (hundreds!):

    Distrowatch: http://www.distrowatch.com
    Linux ISOs: http://www.linuxiso.org
    iBiblio.org: http://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/

+ Reply to Thread