Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5 - Linux

This is a discussion on Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5 - Linux ; Hello, I have a problem with raw device support and 2.6.5 kernel. I have compiled my custom 2.6.5 and everything works fine with exception of raw devices. Even If i just simply run raw util, I'm getting: [root@rac1 root]# raw ...

  1. Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5

    Hello,

    I have a problem with raw device support and 2.6.5 kernel. I have
    compiled my custom 2.6.5 and everything works fine with exception of
    raw devices.
    Even If i just simply run raw util, I'm getting:

    [root@rac1 root]# raw
    Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or
    address)

    On the same computer but using 2.4.22, everything works fine. Is there
    something I must do, before using raw devices with 2.6.5 kernel?

    Thank you for response

    --
    Dusan Bolek

    Email: spambin@seznam.cz
    Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
    be burnt as a SPAM.

  2. Re: Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5

    Dusan Bolek wrote:

    > I have a problem with raw device support and 2.6.5 kernel. I have
    > compiled my custom 2.6.5 and everything works fine with exception of
    > raw devices.
    > Even If i just simply run raw util, I'm getting:
    >
    > [root@rac1 root]# raw

    .... is:
    alias char-major-162 raw
    in the /etc/modprobe.conf file ?
    ..
    F u cn rd ths u cnt spl wrth a dm!

  3. Re: Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5

    mjt wrote in message news:...
    > Dusan Bolek wrote:
    >
    > > I have a problem with raw device support and 2.6.5 kernel. I have
    > > compiled my custom 2.6.5 and everything works fine with exception of
    > > raw devices.
    > > Even If i just simply run raw util, I'm getting:
    > >
    > > [root@rac1 root]# raw

    > ... is:
    > alias char-major-162 raw
    > in the /etc/modprobe.conf file ?

    Well, it was not there. However, even with this line in modprobe.conf,
    raw is still not functioning. Strange is that the only difference
    between working and not working environment is 2.6.5 kernel. Is there
    something I need to compile into the kernel to make the raw stuff
    work? I have searched through all config option, but didn't find
    anything.

    --
    Dusan Bolek

  4. Re: Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5

    Am 26 Apr 2004 07:28:03 -0700 schrieb Dusan Bolek :

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a problem with raw device support and 2.6.5 kernel. I have
    > compiled my custom 2.6.5 and everything works fine with exception of
    > raw devices.
    > Even If i just simply run raw util, I'm getting:
    >
    > [root@rac1 root]# raw
    > Cannot open master raw device '/dev/rawctl' (No such device or
    > address)
    >
    > On the same computer but using 2.4.22, everything works fine. Is there
    > something I must do, before using raw devices with 2.6.5 kernel?
    >
    > Thank you for response
    >
    > --
    > Dusan Bolek
    >
    > Email: spambin@seznam.cz
    > Pls add "Not Guilty" to the subject, otherwise your email is going to
    > be burnt as a SPAM.

    Are you using devfs ?
    If not and if you haven't created the raw device entries yet (looks like
    you haven't), try
    ../MAKEDEV -v raw
    in /dev dir first...

    Rado

  5. Re: Raw devices - kernel 2.6.5

    Rado Rethmann wrote in message news:...
    > Are you using devfs ?
    > If not and if you haven't created the raw device entries yet (looks like
    > you haven't), try
    > ./MAKEDEV -v raw
    > in /dev dir first...

    Not a chance. Raw devices were already created during the instalation.
    However, I have run this script again, but the problem still persists.
    :-(

    --
    Dusan Bolek

+ Reply to Thread