Anti-virus and Update management tools - Linux

This is a discussion on Anti-virus and Update management tools - Linux ; We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus and updates. So far everyone I've found requires installation on a Windows Server. I would ...

  1. Anti-virus and Update management tools

    We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are
    running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus
    and updates. So far everyone I've found requires installation on a
    Windows Server. I would even be happy if I could figure out a
    configuration where a windows workstation is used for management. Any
    ideas or possible solutions? Does anybody have this on there roadmap?

  2. Re: Anti-virus and Update management tools

    phwashington@attbi.com (Philip Washington) wrote in message news:<1ba9483.0404221711.41086fbf@posting.google.com>...
    > We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are
    > running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus
    > and updates.

    ftp works fine here with McAfee.

  3. Re: Anti-virus and Update management tools

    comeand@kissmyfatarse.com (Mattias Honrendgard) wrote in message news:...
    > phwashington@attbi.com (Philip Washington) wrote in message news:<1ba9483.0404221711.41086fbf@posting.google.com>...
    > > We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are
    > > running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus
    > > and updates.

    > ftp works fine here with McAfee.

    I think he is referring to having a central management console and
    such, not just updates. Like Norton Corporate Edition or something.
    I have this same issue. We are migrating from Windows Server 2000 to
    Linux with Samba, and we currently have Norton Anti-Virus
    Professional, that has no central management. It is about to expire
    and we want to purchase something with a central management interface,
    because our IT department is 3 guys, and one is quiting... and he
    won't be replaced.

    Dustin A. Dortch
    Network+, MCSA/MCSE W2K

  4. Re: Anti-virus and Update management tools

    --
    Drew McBee
    Network Administrator
    "Philip Washington" wrote in message
    news:1ba9483.0404221711.41086fbf@posting.google.co m...
    > We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are
    > running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus
    > and updates. So far everyone I've found requires installation on a
    > Windows Server. I would even be happy if I could figure out a
    > configuration where a windows workstation is used for management. Any
    > ideas or possible solutions? Does anybody have this on there roadmap?

    We've been using Sophos ( www.sophos.com ) for a couple of years now, and
    I'm really pleased with it. The price was reasonable - especially when you
    compare it to Norton or McAffee ( about 1/2 to 2/3 the cost ). I think it
    can do what you want it to. We use it on a RH 7.3 mailserver and an NT PDC.
    I think you could have your CIDS ( the directory nodes update from ) located
    on the Linux PDC, while having your mgmnt console on a pc somewhere. When we
    bought our contract, we get the whole package, including just about every
    platform. That is not to say that they have a GUI for every platform, but
    theres probably a solution for you. We also got a nice little remote update
    package as well, for our roaming users....

    -D

  5. Re: Anti-virus and Update management tools

    dustin_dortch@hotmail.com (Dustin) wrote in message news:...
    > comeand@kissmyfatarse.com (Mattias Honrendgard) wrote in message news:...
    > > phwashington@attbi.com (Philip Washington) wrote in message news:<1ba9483.0404221711.41086fbf@posting.google.com>...
    > > > We are looking to transfer our PDC and BDC over to Samba, but we are
    > > > running into an issue with network management software for anti-virus
    > > > and updates.

    > > ftp works fine here with McAfee.

    > I think he is referring to having a central management console and
    > such, not just updates. Like Norton Corporate Edition or something.
    > I have this same issue. We are migrating from Windows Server 2000 to
    > Linux with Samba, and we currently have Norton Anti-Virus
    > Professional, that has no central management. It is about to expire
    > and we want to purchase something with a central management interface,
    > because our IT department is 3 guys, and one is quiting... and he
    > won't be replaced.

    I guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve and what you have
    to play with. I just have a Samba server pulling the updates off via
    ftp and all clients automatically upgrade via the "antivirus" share.
    All the Microsoft Windows desktops are installed via a Norton Ghost
    image file, and obviously the anti-virus software is pre-configured on
    there. As yet, I haven't really seen the need for any of the "central
    management" tools. I did a trial not that long ago and was
    under-impressed. For the outlay involved the return was minimal. I
    only look after a little under 100 windows machines though, so I guess
    with 3 guys you must have a pretty big network.

    Anyway, enough of that.

    Yes, McAfee virus management needs Windows 2000+ Server Edition, so do
    Norton and Trend. These guys don't need a Microsoft Server edition,
    but I have no live experience of their products:

    Kapersky:

    http://www.kaspersky.com/corporateso...pter=146238315

    BitDefender:

    http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/products.php?p_id=4#

    Fsecure (Note their product will run on a RedHat or SuSe server)

    http://www.f-secure.com/products/policy-man/index.shtml

    Hm. All this fun. Suddenly Linux on the desktop doesn't seem like such
    a bad idea. I think I know what I'm doing on Monday... ;-)

+ Reply to Thread