I am looking to do a few things, and I was wondering if it is possible
to "reassociate" a snapshot with another volume. Essentially, this is
what I would like to do:

1. Create a logical volume

2. Setup a cron job to periodically take snapshots (3 times a day,
possibly)

3. Each time a new snapshot is created, reassociate the previous
snapshot as being a snapshot of the latest snapshot.

It would look like this (where O=Origin, and numbers represent
snapshot history)

O O O O O
1 2 3 4
1 2 3
1 2
1

Essentially, I want to create a lineage so that I can have a long
series of snapshots, and not have write performance hits. This series
of snapshots would be used to emulate the Shadows Copies of Shared
Folders in Windows Server 2003, as the VFS module for implementing
this in Samba is functional. The only thing left to get the
implementation working is a reliable and inexpensive (as far as
resources go) way to have many snapshots. Microsoft implements up to
64 snapshots (I think we can take 'em on that one :P ).

Thanks,
Dustin