Writing script - Linux

This is a discussion on Writing script - Linux ; Hi, How can I write a script (say, sh shell) on Linux that doesn't allow others to view the content of the script? In other words, how can I hard-code it? Thanks for any advice. Regards,...

  1. Writing script

    Hi,
    How can I write a script (say, sh shell) on Linux that doesn't allow
    others to view the content of the script?
    In other words, how can I hard-code it?
    Thanks for any advice.

    Regards,

  2. Re: Writing script

    On 21 Apr 2004 19:50:37 -0700, Karan wrote:

    > How can I write a script (say, sh shell) on Linux that doesn't allow
    > others to view the content of the script?

    chmod 700 script_name_here

    Here is something I picked up a long time ago. Sorry I do not have the author.

    Everyone should have some ideal about programming just to see what
    it is and what it is not.

    What it is, is: Casting mystical spells in terminology, whose exact details
    have exact ramfications.

    What it is not, is: Talking or typing to the computer in some way that it
    requires intellitgence by the machine.

    What it is, is: An intricate technical art.

    What it is not is: A Science.

  3. Re: Writing script

    Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    > On 21 Apr 2004 19:50:37 -0700, Karan wrote:
    >
    > > How can I write a script (say, sh shell) on Linux that doesn't allow
    > > others to view the content of the script?

    > chmod 700 script_name_here

    "man chmod" will give all the necessary details. "man chown" would be
    a good idea too. "man group" also wouldn't hurt.

  4. Re: Writing script

    Mattias Honrendgard wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote in message news:...
    >
    >>On 21 Apr 2004 19:50:37 -0700, Karan wrote:
    >>

    >>>How can I write a script (say, sh shell) on Linux that doesn't allow
    >>>others to view the content of the script?

    >>chmod 700 script_name_here

    > "man chmod" will give all the necessary details. "man chown" would be
    > a good idea too. "man group" also wouldn't hurt.

    I wonder if this person means that they don't want anybody to see what's
    going on with a 'ps'?

  5. Re: Writing script

    On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:03:59 -0400, joe wrote:

    > I wonder if this person means that they don't want anybody to see what's
    > going on with a 'ps'?

    I was betting the OP had a password in a script and wanted users to be
    able to run it and not be able to cat script_here to see password.

    My chmod 700 was to flush out that requirement. Since OP has not been
    back I have to surmise he just wanted to lock it down from the users.

+ Reply to Thread